Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2011, 21:28   #11
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
having traveled in northern france for many years i know it well there is a rover dealership in st malo and there still going my parents owned a house in dinard and i spent many happy months over there you can find many good garages with many good mecanics and you will have no problems i know this

my ztt had to have a new rear caliper last time i was there, orderd and fitted in the day no problem (with a little help from me)

let me know where you are in france will call in when i am over there

wish it was me going would love it

be brave and do it dont be put off

as for the car take it and dont look back there is this club to help you

andy

good luck
I have just taken the "Plunge" and moved to Brittany.I have also taken the 75 with me. In all honesty I do NOT find driving a RHD car a problem the reason being that there aint that much traffic about in "Rural" areas,as for the winters yes they have snow but it dont seem to last as long as it did in the UK last year.Yes red tape can be a problem I am in the process of registering my car here so I dont have to pay road tax,diesel is cheaper than in the UK even tho the exchange rate is not very good,you will find you will do more MPG as you are not stuck in traffic all the time.Insurance Ihave a multicar policy with a French company and with the 75 and the wifes 25 the cost is only slightly more than in the UK.

As for service fortuneatly I can do a lot of it myself and with the help of this forum
So go on give it a go you know you want to

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 22:31   #12
revor64
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 cdt

There are more rover 75's outside the uk !
well, not much more, but still ...
revor64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 17:52   #13
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

Yes, Still here in Portugal with my ZT-T...
When we looked at coming over here in 2005 / 2006 we checked on used / new car prices and found that the car tax system was so prohibitive that it became a must to bring a car from the UK if possible. [Cars here are mainly bought on 10 year purchase plans!]
So when we moved in June 2009 I had had the MG for the required 1 year and was able to import it at the zero tax rate.
By the way, the same car here would cost 16,000 euros second hand this week, against say £2,500 in the UK if I was lucky.
Servicing has not been a problem, not had to fit any spares yet but there are at least a dozen 75/ZT in our town and so they appear to be kept going. I did fit a Gerry T-piece and a Hans Gauge before coming here, the aircon is on all the time, and no problem there either.
Driving on the right has not been a problem to either me or my wife since coming in to Europe in any way, we changed the headlights to RHD from SMC, and these cause no trouble to other drivers. Still doing about 10,000 kms a year, fuel costs about the same as in the UK.
Given the 2nd hand value of our cars, my advice would be to take yours with you rather than going in to the unknown of a Eurocar, you know yours --- so stick with it...
Good Luck with the move, we have never looked back...
Martin in Tomar, Portugal
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:12   #14
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Saw load of French registered 75's and a couple of ZT's when i was in France for my holidays last month so they must be getting serviced by someone! I was touring the country for three weeks and i still haven't got used to the stress that comes with living in the UK. If i could afford it i'd move there tomorrow.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:15   #15
danmayberry
Loves to post

2.0 v6 auto connoisseur

sounds good, this is also what we fancy doing in a couple of years when the mortgage is finished,you get more/better property for your money,i would buy another car over there,cheers-dan
danmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:29   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I'm living in France with my right hand drive R75. Have no problems with RHD or overtaking as the French tend to drive at 60 mph most of the time . ( ie. at the speed limit. ) in England the traffic on rural roads tends to go at about 45 mph. Been here now on a permanent basis for about 7 years.One thing though I tend to do all my own servicing though there are garages here that will do rovers.
If your car is in good condition then stick with it.
If you try to buy an equivalent car here in France it will cost you AT LEAST double !!!
The insurance is slightly more but not much more.
If you change your registration to a French plate will you will soon get back the cost though not having to pay for a road fund license.
Mot every two years, another gain.

Ps. Snow. You'll have no more than you have in Birmingham.

Colvert.

Last edited by COLVERT; 31st August 2011 at 18:36..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 20:10   #17
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I have just taken the "Plunge" and moved to Brittany.I have also taken the 75 with me. In all honesty I do NOT find driving a RHD car a problem the reason being that there aint that much traffic about in "Rural" areas,as for the winters yes they have snow but it dont seem to last as long as it did in the UK last year.Yes red tape can be a problem I am in the process of registering my car here so I dont have to pay road tax,diesel is cheaper than in the UK even tho the exchange rate is not very good,you will find you will do more MPG as you are not stuck in traffic all the time.Insurance Ihave a multicar policy with a French company and with the 75 and the wifes 25 the cost is only slightly more than in the UK.

As for service fortuneatly I can do a lot of it myself and with the help of this forum
So go on give it a go you know you want to

where are you in brittany
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 17:57   #18
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
where are you in brittany

Hi Andy,we are in Morbihan 56 mid way between St Malo And Vannes
Its about 50 miles from St Malo.
Do you know the area?

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 21:33   #19
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

hi not been there but need to thinking of moving out there but need a cheap house and busness want a garage if you know of anything let me know
andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 22:03   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Phil. If i were you, i would take her with me. you are only a phone call away from getting parts the same as here. A plus point is that you would probably get more for your motor in France, than here if you sold.