Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2017, 10:32   #1
mikmoz
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer cdti/75 v6 2.5

Default car broke down hour after i sold it

sold my tourer last night too a really nice chap from yorkshire about 50 miles from me,he was coming too look at the car and if he liked it was going to pick it up this morning,but he was so pleased with it he took it straight away last night and was coming over today to take his other car away,just had a call off him and he broke down on the way home about thirty minutes into his journey.now when he left here i said make sure you put fuel in as the light has come on,my intention was to stick twenty quid in it this morning but he wanted the car last night,so basically i think he has run it out of fuel and now it wont start,its turning over and he says there is fuel at the pump but no joy,any suggestions would be a help,sorry for the rambling post but i am really upset as the car is a really nice one and i have never had a problem,but makes me look dodgy now,cheers Mike.
mikmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 10:49   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Go and stick a couple of gallons of diesel in, turn key to position 2 ,ignition light on, remove filler cap and see if you can hear the in tank pump humming, if not then it is dead,. Then check for fuel delivery at u b p, if there is a steady flow then it should start. If tank pump is dead, it will need plenty of fuel in tank to allow the engine pump to take over.

Last edited by RPWC; 1st April 2017 at 10:52..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 11:47   #3
mikmoz
Loves to post

pumps working plenty of fuel at filter,just spoke to BigRuss,he has put my mind at rest , its not my fault if someone drives it without putting fuel in it.thanks for your help
Old 1st April 2017, 12:05   #4
mikmoz
Loves to post

also just been informed that the face lift model has a more reliable fuel pump set up,so thats good,many thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 12:18   #5
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmoz View Post
also just been informed that the face lift model has a more reliable fuel pump set up,so thats good,many thanks
The later facelifts only have ONE pump.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 13:01   #6
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Low on fuel I bet. Coincidence. And it won't always fire straight away when filled up. Sometimes it takes a few cranks over several minutes to get it fired up. I found this out recently...

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 13:08   #7
mikmoz
Loves to post

the mechanic has just phoned me,he tells me the guy ran the car out of fuel,then put a couple of gallons in and it wont start,he has tested the fuel pump and its working and pumping fine,he crossed a wire on a relay and it pumps ok,but when you turn the key the fuel pump is getting no signal to work,the guy is only a couple of miles from BigRuss,so i have told him to take it there,i have no idea,i suggested he take the battery off for an hour and see if that does anything,i feel bad for the guy,but not really my problem if he runs it out of juice,i have never had a problem and its been super reliable for me,cheers everyone
Old 1st April 2017, 13:55   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
the mechanic has just phoned me,he tells me the guy ran the car out of fuel,then put a couple of gallons in and it wont start,he has tested the fuel pump and its working and pumping fine,he crossed a wire on a relay and it pumps ok,but when you turn the key the fuel pump is getting no signal to work,the guy is only a couple of miles from BigRuss,so i have told him to take it there,i have no idea,i suggested he take the battery off for an hour and see if that does anything,i feel bad for the guy,but not really my problem if he runs it out of juice,i have never had a problem and its been super reliable for me,cheers everyone
<- this is the only thing that pops into my head. If you buy a car with the fuel light on, the first thing you do, is get fuel. Probably just me, but the first thing I do anytime I have bought a car is put fuel in it, 1 to make sure I have enough to get home, and 2 to make sure the gauge works (whether it works reliably or not, is another matter lol). After buying a car, I could have been that skint that I couldnt fill it, but I have always put something in.

Is this guy blaming or making a suggestion to you that you are somehow at fault? If not, then stop even thinking of worrying about him. If like me, you would feel bad, stop that too. Assist him as you have obviously been doing, as a good samaritan. You told him the light was on, and if he didnt notice it, then he shouldnt be driving on the road at all lol. But ..............

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 14:05   #9
mikmoz
Loves to post

thanks dude,i do feel bad ,but the new owner has just been over and says he feels an idiot,and thanked me for all my help,as i say a nice guy,just unfortunate,he says he thought he would make it home and didnt want to fill up at motorway prices,i hope he gets it sorted ok,but thanks everyone for input
Old 1st April 2017, 14:16   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
thanks dude,i do feel bad ,but the new owner has just been over and says he feels an idiot,and thanked me for all my help,as i say a nice guy,just unfortunate,he says he thought he would make it home and didnt want to fill up at motorway prices,i hope he gets it sorted ok,but thanks everyone for input
in fairness, he does sound like a nice guy just from that, but still lol. motorway prices, (??) just for a tenner of fuel Aargh!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote