Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2017, 14:14   #1
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Default Rear subframe replacement cost?

Took the 75 the missus drives for MOT and it has failed due to rust on the rear subframe, along with a worn balljoint on the NS front and pitting to the OS brake pipe. Somewhat peeved as I had left it in for a once-over about ten days before the test, but whatever - I won't be using the guy again.

Anyway, the balljoint & brake pipe are comparatively small beer, but I'm less optimistic about the subframe. I'm not in a position to do any of necessary work myself, so what's it likely to cost for buying one and having it fitted? If it's much over £350 I may as well sell the car as a spares/repair, as we've two others and there's no point chucking money at this one at a time when there are just too many other demands on both time and money - it'd be better off going to someone with the capacity to sort it for themselves.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 15:13   #2
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

There's a few on fleabay at the moment, all around £100 (and this would save you the trouble of trying to remove one in a breakers yard ).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-R...wAAOSwaeRZJWES

Not too sure on labour cost to fit, but my guess if just to remove the old and bolt up the replacement (so no rust removal or repainting) might be about £200 ? But sure someone else can advise on this
Old 9th June 2017, 15:25   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Shame you arent nearer as Sean Carter has a few knocking about as I went to see him last week and he is having a massive clear out at knock down prices. Might be worth a punt you never know!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 16:41   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Might be worth asking the mot guy to be more specific. I would guess that it is a rear upper arm that needs replacing rather than the whole subframe. Worth checking.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 13:25   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Took the 75 the missus drives for MOT and it has failed due to rust on the rear subframe, along with a worn balljoint on the NS front and pitting to the OS brake pipe. Somewhat peeved as I had left it in for a once-over about ten days before the test, but whatever - I won't be using the guy again.

Anyway, the balljoint & brake pipe are comparatively small beer, but I'm less optimistic about the subframe. I'm not in a position to do any of necessary work myself, so what's it likely to cost for buying one and having it fitted? If it's much over £350 I may as well sell the car as a spares/repair, as we've two others and there's no point chucking money at this one at a time when there are just too many other demands on both time and money - it'd be better off going to someone with the capacity to sort it for themselves.
Scrap it Andy, it's green

Rear subframe????? it is possibly rear upper arms??

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 14:12   #6
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

This is going to become an increasing issue as our cars get older. Do the Chinese Rowes have the same subframe I wonder?

I wonder if it would be possible at some time in the future to do a group buy?

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 17:32   #7
Jamie-C
Regular poster

MG ZT

Just had to do the same job on my car only it was the rear arms that were rotting not the subframe, subframe still had to come out though, if you decide to tackle the job yourself I'll be willing to give a hand if need be, i'm not to far away from you. Or if you do decide to sell the car give me a pm. Thanks
Jamie-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 22:08   #8
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Scrap it Andy, it's green

Rear subframe????? it is possibly rear upper arms??

Brian
Didn't quite catch that first bit - it's rude to talk with your mouth full, soft boy, even if it is because of stuffing yourself with Hobnobs.

The refusal cert says subframe rather than suspension arms, but I have a spare pair of those lying in the garage if that's what it turns out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-C View Post
Just had to do the same job on my car only it was the rear arms that were rotting not the subframe, subframe still had to come out though, if you decide to tackle the job yourself I'll be willing to give a hand if need be, i'm not to far away from you. Or if you do decide to sell the car give me a pm. Thanks
I think that falls under the category of "an offer I can't refuse"!! Will PM you once this match I'm watching is over.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:12   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikris View Post
This is going to become an increasing issue as our cars get older. Do the Chinese Rowes have the same subframe I wonder?

I wonder if it would be possible at some time in the future to do a group buy?

Ali.
An interesting question, but don't expect the shipping from China to be cheap .....
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:19   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have never seen a rotten subframe, the seams get a bit rotten, it will more likely be the arms.