Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2018, 19:53   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Topic thread from my dad and its a good one. ;)

Hiya all just been talking too my old man about stuff now.
Mainly his experience in the 70's and 80's life style where music, leather jackets motorbikes cars skin heads you name it I've been into all that.

That was from my old man.

I loved the 70's punk rock some of my favourite bands were the sex pistols the clash Siouxsie and the Banshees too name a few.

Ripping around in the Honda 250 super dream at the time before my crash in 1976 which did make me realise that I wasn't invincible, the times I had during my early years were the greatest, went all over too cars and bike meets.

When I see my Son David doing the things I used too do I do miss it so much at the same time I feel young when he comes back and tells how it went down and of course his hobbies of taking photos.

Really does take me back too memory lane.

Topic I wanted too ask is this what was your most memorable decade and if you could would you go back there and start all over again?

There were certain things I wish did at the time didn't pursue it, at the same time I lived it too the max can't beat the good old days.

I'm pretty sure my son is trying too capture those moments and living them for himself, he's a pain in the backside at times then again so was I.

There you have it folks my old man himself he told me what too Write I typed.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 20:22   #2
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Dave's dad,
Er, were we supposed to have stopped?

Went to see the Pistols at the then MEN Arena in 2007, but the gig was at a sound level agreed with elfansafety, still great to see them live.

I have just about given up going to bike meets, there's a tameness about them that wasn't there in the 70's...maybe they should bring back big 2 strokes that are ported within millimetres of flirting their pistons down the unsilenced expansion chambers...there's nothing tame about someone who's just got off one of those.

Still ride a bike.

70's definitely, don't miss the long hair though.
Old 29th October 2018, 20:29   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
Went to see the Pistols at the then MEN Arena in 2007,
I was there too It has to be the late 70's early 80's for me music wise.

Punk, Ska - Scooters & Bikes
Old 29th October 2018, 20:43   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
Dave's dad,
Er, were we supposed to have stopped?

Went to see the Pistols at the then MEN Arena in 2007, but the gig was at a sound level agreed with elfansafety, still great to see them live.

I have just about given up going to bike meets, there's a tameness about them that wasn't there in the 70's...maybe they should bring back big 2 strokes that are ported within millimetres of flirting their pistons down the unsilenced expansion chambers...there's nothing tame about someone who's just got off one of those.

Still ride a bike.

70's definitely, don't miss the long hair though.
I was just going too ask my dad too reply too this and guess where he is ?
He's just tucked himself too bed.

When he's had a his beauty sleep I'll get him over, he's had a few bikes in the past but after that crash he had, biking went sort of out the window he's got plates on his shin and knee after the crash which very nearly killed him all his teeth were replaced with false once.

Caused quite a bit of damage

He loved his biking days, but he did say if there was one thing he could change was not have that crash in the first place then he might have carried on biking.

The Honda 250 super dream was his pride and joy till the day.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 20:53   #5
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
I was just going too ask my dad too reply too this and guess where he is ?
He's just tucked himself too bed.

When he's had a his beauty sleep I'll get him over, he's had a few bikes in the past but after that crash he had, biking went sort of out the window he's got plates on his shin and knee after the crash which very nearly killed him all his teeth were replaced with false once.

Caused quite a bit of damage

He loved his biking days, but he did say if there was one thing he could change was not have that crash in the first place then he might have carried on biking.

The Honda 250 super dream was his pride and joy till the day.
You must have worn him out Dave.

Just looking at your sig photo, you do know there's a submarine spying on you just offshore?
Old 29th October 2018, 21:39   #6
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

I guess everyone here is harking back to their glory days, early to mid 20s? I know that is the time I'd go back to. Old enough to know what's what, young enough to have the energy to do it.
Late 80s to mid 90s for me. RD350lc, Stan Stephens tuned, with a 'blink and you've missed it' powerband, Micron exhausts howling away, hanging on for dear life. Never crashed it, god knows how, too many near misses and lucky escapes to count.
Group runs down to Kent in July for the Kent Custom Bike Show and up to Stratford upon Avon to the Bulldog Bash in August.
Cramming 6 mates into my camper for gigs. Monsters of Rock, g'n'r at Wembley, Acdc, Maiden, Metallica, Aerosmith. Hanging with mates and the odd young lady
Holidays in Cornwall, convoys of VW's for 'Run to The Sun'. Hanging out with mates and the young ladies were very odd. And very friendly......
Too many good memories untainted by mortgages, family problems, badly paid jobs, aches and pains.....
The bike has gone, so has the camper, and unfortunately not all the mates are with us, but we had a blast.
Feeling tired just thinking about it.
Old 29th October 2018, 21:49   #7
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Good post Dave........and your Dad

Got to be late 70s early 80s, (‘77-‘85ish), for me too. A good mix of ‘old’ rock bands like Deep Purple, Led Zep, Rush, Sabbath, Motörhead, Scorpions etc, etc and the arrival of NWOBHM with bands like Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Saxon etc, etc. Then came thrash metal, Metallica, Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Megadeth etc, etc
Also listened to a lot of punk bands thanks to my mate. Pistols, Crass, Adicts, Major Accident, Dead Kennedy’s etc, etc
Then there was Joy Division, Stone Roses etc, etc
Then all my hair fell out

The cars too! Obviously Minis but, also had a love of all things BL. Allegros, Marinas, SD1s, Metros, MGs etc, etc
Mate had a Yamaha RD250 in yellow, black and white, wanted one so much but, my Mum and Dad said NO!

Great times.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 09:41   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I recall the Dream and Super Dream, soft alloy wheels, electronic ignition that used to fail. Never took to the sex pistols. I liked the Jam, paul Wellers best work I think
The craze at 16 was Suzuki AP50 or Yamaha FS1E and then on to the Suzuki GT250 or X7 while others were the RD250 or LC250, fond memories but for me life got better when I met my girlfriend now wife in about 1980. God only knows how we ended up with each other, so different then.

If I were to go back to the 70's I'd like to try harder at school and take up self defence and practice playing the guitar more frequently.

My wife probably saved me from a lonely life

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 12:21   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Problem with the glory days - is that there was never enough cash to do everything you wanted _ part of the fun of it all I guess.

If I could go back and do it again - I'd find the best get rich quick scheme I could find and raise enough dough to do everything properly. (or rob a bank).

Still haven't stopped at 50+ went to see Hawkwind 2 weeks ago in Leeds and still ride my bike

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 12:29   #10
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Think I would go back to being born in 1961 so I could have seen 16 to see The Sex Pistols in Mundsley village hall 20 miles from me in 1976 when I was 6

Enjoyed seeing The Cult live at Wembely Areana on The Electric tour. Bought two t-shirts there and wore them until they fell to bits, but then it was a perfect time for me so perhaps I was born when I needed to be born. The SS50's and the fizzy's etc.

Take care Davey

To Davids Dad;

David told me about the remap on the Chrysler 300c SRT and he said you thought it was good and man, it is

Also with the bikes, I had a bad accident on my Honda CB750K7. Smashed it but rebuilt it with parts from a similar CB750. Just got the 1000 yars stare as did the girl that was on the back I know have a Harley Davidson Dyna FXDB 1598 cc with 16" ape hangers among other things. Will put you up a picture. No where as bad as how you hurt yourself.

Dave seems to be working hard and is passionate about what he does and tried to do it well. I was just like that as well as suffering from Bi-Pola and PTST and being a trouble maker at school and afterwards lol. I had little studying ability but did an A level when I was 24 over a year one night a week and with 4 years experience working in social services I managed to pass a Diploma as Social Work, not that I would ever take a job from social services again!

I believe David can do what ever he puts his mind into. He's a great mate and cool bean lol

(Talked my mum to get onto it lol)

Last edited by Jay; 30th October 2018 at 12:45..
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote