Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2020, 22:21   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Lockdown, who is making money?

Just wondering what lockdown is doing for some firms.

Ebay has not had a £1 selling fee weekend, you pay full price.
On line Grocery shopping, no half price or 3 for 2, a lot of cheap items not available only the more expensive variety.
Is Hermes busier?
How are those shops that have on line shopping facilities doing?

Would be interesting to see a report showing numbers and types of business that went to the wall and those whose profits went up.
Employment levels before, at the end, 3 months after, 6 months after and 12 months after lockdown ends.

Numbers that lost their homes.

Number of suicides before and during.

What high streets looked like before and after and again 3 months after, 6 months after and 12 months after lockdown ends and same for house prices.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2020, 04:52   #2
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I said before lockdown the supermarkets knew exactly what they were doing. Every shelf empty, no items on the reduced shelf, people grabbing as much as they could and they allowed it all to happen. As for my own work, we’re charging the same price for stuff, we are delivering to farmers when required and we’re not charging for it. The spring weather has been kind to the farmers so they’ve been flat out cultivating and sowing. So the current situation hasn’t affected me really other than some items aren’t available in the shop so I simply substitute for something else.
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 20:03   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Not working no money until 9th May. (U C). Hoping to get back after next lockdown review if the restrictions are relaxed a bit.
Old 20th April 2020, 21:16   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

Apparently the price of oil is in negative territory. Given what happens when it runs away into positive territory (immediate rises in motoring and utility bills) well ... expenses fiddlers? Why are we not being paid to take the glut to run our cars and to power our homes?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 22:03   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Fence paint manufactures.Try finding some Ronseal one coat.Usually about an hours wait to get on the the B&Q or Wicks websites only to find they are out of stock.Same at Screwfix,Toolstation,Home Bargains,B&M..........
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 22:08   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

From what I understand if we all filled our cars and vans and every Jerry can we posses with the stuff this would not fix the problem at the moment.

Someone I know in the oil industry was telling me on Sunday they are even dragging retired super tankers out of storage to fill even some that were due to be scrapped are even being used.

The world oil industry is set up for the consumption of about 100 million barrels a day, with hardly any aircraft flying, only a few cars being used regularly no wonder there is a problem.

No wonder the air quality is already starting to improve.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 06:36   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
From what I understand if we all filled our cars and vans and every Jerry can we posses with the stuff this would not fix the problem at the moment.
Well thought I was being clever by filling both cars up just before the lock-down started..... Oh well ..........
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:25   #8
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

Someone I know in the oil industry was telling me on Sunday they are even dragging retired super tankers out of storage to fill even some that were due to be scrapped are even being used.

The world oil industry is set up for the consumption of about 100 million barrels a day, with hardly any aircraft flying, only a few cars being used regularly no wonder there is a problem.

No wonder the air quality is already starting to improve.
There is no need to mothball aircraft, there are few undesirables they could fly back home.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote