Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2021, 18:11   #1
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Clutch Hydraulic Problems - can you help please?

Hello everyone
This is the first time I have posted on any forum and I would be extremely grateful for any help you can give please.

My wife and I were recovered recently by an extremely helpful AA driver and the car, a 2002, 75 diesel, was dropped at our local mechanic. We have used him for many years but he is now at his wit's end. He has replaced the master cylinder with a new Rover original (the part number corresponds with the old unit), fluid is coming from the bleed valve but the pedal has no pressure at all.

There is no sign of fluid beneath the bellhousing from the slave cylinder and he fitted a new three piece clutch (one of those recommended on this forum, although I don't recall the make) about 30,000 miles ago. He reports there was fluid on the footrest below the clutch pedal, hence the change of master cylinder.

Thank you in advance for any help; my wife is desperate to get her 75 back.
XRayLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 18:14   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hello and welcome, I would have another look at the slave cylinder, they don't always leak fluid out of the bellhousing when they fail.

If you disconnect the clutch at the quick connector near the bellhousing, press the pedal, if its firm then its the slave that's at fault.
Old 21st March 2021, 18:40   #3
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello Trikey

Thank you very much for the quick reply, I'll contact him tomorrow.
Old 21st March 2021, 18:53   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

If you cannot find fluid under the bell housing try the following.

Remove the master cylinder cap, remove the rubber seal, often referred to as a condom from inside the master cylinder. The master cylinder does not hold a lot of fluid but check how much is in there. If the mechanic thinks there is sufficient then an internal seal in the master cylinder may have failed. As the clutch pedal is pushed down fluid is pushed down the hydraulic pipe. With bleed valve open the seal may be good enough to still push fluid along the pipe but with the valve closed the seal may be allowing clutch fluid to bypass it and remain in the master cylinder.
If you are lucky this is the problem as it is cheaper and easier to replace.

Actually I should have read trikeys post better. If the quick coupling is apart and the clutch pedal still goes to the floor even slowly the master has failed. My master failed in only 11 months ?
Could try bleeding the whole system just in case

good luck

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 21st March 2021 at 18:58..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 22:06   #5
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for confirming and adding to the picture, I appreciate you taking the time to help and will update you both on the situation when I hear from the mechanic tomorrow.
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:59   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayLee View Post
Thanks for confirming and adding to the picture, I appreciate you taking the time to help and will update you both on the situation when I hear from the mechanic tomorrow.
The picture below might be handy.---

Attached Images
File Type: jpg QR-diagram.jpg (38.1 KB, 46 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:17   #7
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the diagram, it's very clear and could save both time and the scratching of heads. I struggle with connectors of most kinds so it's particularly welcome.
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:02   #8
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Sometimes bleeding by using a vacuum pump on the bleed nipple purges air out of the system similarly introducing fresh fluid via the bleed nipple can also purge air from the system.

Obvious care must be taken with the second system to collect expelled fluid and prevent damage as the master cylinder overflows.
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:25   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Sometimes bleeding by using a vacuum pump on the bleed nipple purges air out of the system similarly introducing fresh fluid via the bleed nipple can also purge air from the system.

Obvious care must be taken with the second system to collect expelled fluid and prevent damage as the master cylinder overflows.
Old washing up bowl under the pedal/master cylinder area + lots of paper towel. A long flat screwdriver is often needed to tap/remove the cap on our cars.
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:03   #10
XRayLee

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for this information, I can see the issue with the master cylinder overflowing.

I spoke to the mechanic today but he hasn't had the opportunity to work on the car today. I will try and visit tomorrow to check on any progress and talk to him in person about the recommendations.

All the best.