Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2021, 18:14   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Electrics, KVA, can someone explain this please?

Power requirement : The normal maximum capacity for individual
domestic properties is 15kVA.

At 230v for a domestic house, how many amps is 15kva? Trying to find out how many amps I can draw before melting the incoming power supply cable.
For now lets pretend there is nothing to protect the incoming supply.
The network operator wont tell me how much current I can draw because I may try to draw that amount of current. yea, so? If you tell me that is what I can draw, and that is what I draw, whats the problem?

Even working out what one may draw is not as easy as one may think.
fridge, freezer, cooker, washing machine, tumble dryer, toaster, kettle, electric heaters bla bla bla.
My compressor will momentarily at start up draw 30 amps but drop back to 20 when running. Ask a number of manufacturers the start up value of their products and you blow their minds.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 18:21   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

65.2 amps @230volts
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 19:51   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The safety level on the incoming cable is very high. You would have to draw a lot of power to melt that.---

15K is 15,000.---Divide that by 230 to find the available amps.

As the previous post says 62.5 amps.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 19:59   #4
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Also your isupply will be protected by a main fuse on the incoming supply normally 80A in modern houses, but can be 60A in older ones

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 20:40   #5
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

100a in ours, 30’s house.

Need a decent supply in houses with all the power hungry appliances today, you get someone using an 11kw power shower while the ovens cooking the Sunday dinner and the missus decides to put the kettle on you’ll be pulling nearly 60a!!!

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 21:18   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Just wait until we all start changing our electric cars!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 22:15   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The safety level on the incoming cable is very high. You would have to draw a lot of power to melt that.---

15K is 15,000.---Divide that by 230 to find the available amps.

As the previous post says 62.5 amps.---
ok i get 15k is 15,000. If you have the watts, I get the divide by 230 to get the amps, what i did not get was the va. Normally I would presume v is volts and a is amps but va together, that is what lost me. What is a kilovolt amp? I have not heard the term before.

62.5 amps, that seems low for a house. When I think of what the washing machine, kettle, dishwasher, tumble drier all take. I must be missing something.

macafee2
Old 11th April 2021, 06:06   #8
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Watts and Volt Ampers both show the power appliance is using. Formula for power is U= I x V. Since I is current measured in Ampers and V is voltage measures in Volts, term VoltAmps is used.

Difference is in fact that in case of DC power you can use Watts without problems.

However when you are talking about AC power you need to be careful. Do you realy get 230 Volts from power lines into your house? I do not think so. That is the reason why it is always said that voltage is 220V-230V . Point is that VoltAmps represent actual power used from your appliance. If you have number of ampers from your appliance and multiply by 220V you will get one power and if you multiply by 230 you will get another power. That is the reason why it is said VoltAmps - this is actually warning to take care of what and how you are using it.

Also, if you are making any calculations of AC power, you need to have reserve in these calculations, meaning you might take more power if power lines distribute more than 230V. This also could happen, and in that case you need to be sure something is not burnt.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2021, 07:04   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

perhaps i should just look at the main fuse, what ever that is rated at I should be able to draw, I just cant get to it for now.

62 amps seems very low, if that is the standard supply why is the main fuse a 100?

macafee2
Old 11th April 2021, 07:42   #10
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Among other things, reserve serves on motor starting as more current is drawn from the power network. However, you should have stated what current is drawn at startup on appliance and calculate your power even slightly above that (remember difference in Volts 220-230V).

Fuses are created in standard forms, so you will not have fuse for 62 amps. However you can ask why it is not 80 amps then but 100 amps fuse. When standardisation is done they needed to include power consumed at that time and forseen power that might be taken in next decades. It is not useful to build something which will need to be replaced completly when consumer power rises. It would cost a lot.

Having fuse of 100 amps actualy protects the power network from you this is standard they set up and build network up to that standard. And they will not let you use more power than that.

I can go further in my explanation and set terms like active/useful and reactive/unuseful power. These two powers exist in case current and voltage are not in same phase in case of AC power. Power network needs to be built to sustain both of these powers and that reactive lower actualy represents the reserve you have in case of AC power. But I will not go further and possible start confusing readers.

Last edited by Roverlike; 11th April 2021 at 07:50..
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote