Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2021, 19:07   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

New house building in and around the area where I am is staggering"north" "south" and centre have new housing estates from small in the centre to large. I go out of "town" and there are two more estates being erected.
These properties seem to be being snapped up and whilst a new build is not for me,
for many it is. They look pretty but I question the build quality and as for parking and gardens I feel sorry for the children and nightmare parking as children grow into adults.

I have not seen much in the way of discount for items and would have thought that with covid and so many people not working money would have been tight.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 20:23   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Its not only building materials, a friend has a new Van on order that was supposed to be delivered several months ago. He has now been told it will be £1500 approx. more when it arrives in another few weeks. He said he would not pay that as they had agreed on a price but they are not worried as there is a shortage of new vans.

My brother has recently bought a house that needs a lot of work and he struggles to even put paint on a brush let alone install a new kitchen and bathroom ect ect. He has waited for builders and companies to quote for the work and out of 5 only one has turned up and quoted and they have put a crazy price in as they are so busy.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:50   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
There's been an upturn in house building plus a shortage of both skilled craftsmen and some materials hence price rises.
My son has a business installing bespoke bathrooms mostly involving small select new build developments of 5-6 bed 3-4 bath homes on the Norfolk Suffolk border he is fully committed until late 2022.
It seems that post Covid a lot of people are leaving city centres in favour of a more rural location with big bucks to spend.

Someone's not short of a bob or two. I guess that at least they're spending it. But 3 and 4 baths in one 'home'. Sounds like a B&B more than a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
The "shopping basket" is based on what the average person buys. Most of us owing to our ages are not average and our spend is completely different to what say a 30 year old spends their money on.
It is to the Government's advantage to have high inflation then the Government debt becomes less in real terms.

Let's call it what it really is, it's not 'Government debt' it's the country's debt. That's you, me, my neighbour and joe bloggs down the road, it's our debt. The pyramid scheme of currency without material backing requires inflation to function - it depends hugely on future 'value' (or should I say devaluation) of the same currencies.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:54   #14
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Let's call it what it really is, it's not 'Government debt' it's the country's debt. That's you, me, my neighbour and joe bloggs down the road, it's our debt. The pyramid scheme of currency without material backing requires inflation to function - it depends hugely on future 'value' (or should I say devaluation) of the same currencies.

The reason that I called it Government debt is that they have the responsibility to manage it and it is Government policies that increase/decrease the value of it.
another_clean_sheet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 07:21   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
Among other things added to it this year are tracksuit bottoms, dumbbells, smart watches, cappuccino sachets and (unbelievably) "cocktails in a can."
Do you know my stepdaughter then?

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:19   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
The reason that I called it Government debt is that they have the responsibility to manage it and it is Government policies that increase/decrease the value of it.

Yes, it is a result of government policy. The people elect the government. If enough people took an informed interest and actually voted maybe we'd get a better compromise at financial management.

In short it's 'their' responsibility because they put themselves forward and the people vote them in. The responsibility is collective - they can be voted out.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:48   #17
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Our ‘government’ has managed to increase the debt to levels not seen since WW2. I accept that in a severe crisis, government has to borrow, that’s acceptable. We came into this pandemic with already huge debt. Inflation looks like it will follow the price rises we are witnessing which will put pressure on interest rate to rise.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:30   #18
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Our ‘government’ has managed to increase the debt to levels not seen since WW2. I accept that in a severe crisis, government has to borrow, that’s acceptable. We came into this pandemic with already huge debt. Inflation looks like it will follow the price rises we are witnessing which will put pressure on interest rate to rise.
Yeah, but £37 billion on a "Track & Trace" system is not good monetary management. Add in the fact that the Army personnel have to be reduced to counterbalance some of the waste and then have to accept a higher casualty rate due to inadequate funding and manpower availability.

May they rot in hell!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:36   #19
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

I agree things have gone up,but so has my pension

We are paying for Brexit and the Pandemic.

I still have never been so well off

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:17   #20
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I’m comfortable and have enough to last me out. It’s the young people I feel sorry for, they have to try and make sense of this mess.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote