Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2023, 18:55   #631
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool A nice meal with my……………….

………………………….. ex neighbours from Barkingside. I met up with Neil and Sam at Louis Tea Rooms up on Kit Hill just outside Callington. They had never been here before but had heard about the place. Good fresh food cooked to order and reasonably priced.

I took some photo’s with me, and they had also brought photo’s. Laughter was on tap, and some tears. They had a beautiful photo of Val and I which I never knew they had taken the photo. Neil said, “ I took a leaf out of your book Bob and took the photo through our kitchen window. A really lovely photo and it made me cry not of sadness but of fond memories.

We met at Noon and we was still there at 17.00. The staff had no objections of us staying, they even brought us some free drinks as they said that our laughter was infectious, well Neil’s laugh is one of those that just catches you out.

I asked why had they moved so suddenly. It was that once the paramedics found out that they were in a gay relationship they made their lives hell. Taken off of active duty and given an office job on permanent nights. So they decided to sell up and move. In this day and age we just get on with it, but not back in the 90’s.

Then they asked me why I had moved. I told them about the events leading up to Val’s passing and how Banana had dragged me out of depression. I told them that meeting different people all around the country of how many new friends I had made, especially Allen and Val who live here in Saltash. And it was through their invite to come and stay at there house that made up my mind that one day I would come here to live.

I was aware that there was someone else sitting at our table, it was Sandra the cafe’s boss. And she completely surprised me by giving me a cuddle, and a tissue as the memories were roll down my cheeks. I even got a kiss. Well, I never!!!!!
What a lovely gesture from someone I hardly knew. And she said that the next time Allen and Val came in she would tell them what had happened. Oh! My how I blushed, which brought more laughter.

We finally left at 18.15. We said our goodbyes, and I have invited the boys to my house for our next visit.
A lovely day spent with lovely friends. It’s the memories that really made the day.

Imagine my surprise when today the doorbell rang, I opened the door to find a chap standing there with a parcel for me. Not expecting anything, but I might have forgotten about something I had bid on off of eBay. I unwrapped the parcel and there was an enlarged version of the framed photo of Val and I. It was from the boys. More tears. More memories from a time past.

Thanks for reading. Catch up soon.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2023, 19:36   #632
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Thanks.

Your tale brightened my day, I'm glad you're finding a new life that seems so rewarding.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2023, 19:06   #633
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Blue’s and two’s………………..

………………………… for my neighbour Gerry. He was found collapsed in his back garden by another neighbour last Friday. It was first thought that he had suffered a stroke. But having spoken to his daughter today it turns out to be vertigo. He might be home tomorrow. Then he will have to slow down for awhile.
He has already been diagnosed with prostate cancer. In its early stages.

Gerry gave me some racking and was going to help me construct it. So I thought I would have a go on my own. What a laugh, built the ends ok and then put the sides on upside down. Took them apart and the end’s collapsed. But after a couple of hours I got the perishing thing built. Managed to get the shelves on.
Next job is to sift through the boxes of spares for Banana I have and sort out what needs keeping and what needs shifting on.

Had to do 2 trips to the tip with garden rubbish plus some old tins, glass, old paint and some wood from the dismantled greenhouse. The wee Fiesta can certainly carry lots.
Then a trip to Halfords and get some touch up paint as the Fiesta has been hit again. That’s the 4th time a scrape has appeared on the rear bumper corner. Only done in car parks as at home I park it in my allocated parking space.

So that’s tomorrows jobs sorted to be done.

*** Gerry home on the 25th.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 25th April 2023 at 19:39.. Reason: Additional information
Old 10th May 2023, 16:05   #634
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Another string added to my bow.

My next door neighbour, Kelsey, gave me a job to fix her son’s battery powered scooter. I dismantled the floor and looked into a mass of wiring. It took me about an hour to figure out that either the control module or the switch were at fault. So I ordered both from eBay.

The parts arrived today and all put back together. And tested by the neighbours boy. He is over the moon it has been fixed. Total cost of the parts, including p&p, £24.00. Kelsey is happy with the work I have done and happy with the cost.

We had a cracking coronation day party in the Keep across the road on Sunday. Lots of food and falling down water. Plenty of chat, and lots of laughter.
One of my elderly neighbours remarked to me had I sold the V8. Yes it’s been gone a year now. He had only just noticed that it had gone. Did I know who owned the Black Fiesta? His powers of observation amaze me.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 12th June 2023, 06:48   #635
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool No going back…………….

……………………….. last night, June 11th 2018, was my last sleep in Essex. For today 5 years ago I was pulling up my roots and moving 275 miles down the road to Cornwall. My last look at the flat that been my home for 68 years was not as emotional as I thought.

My friend Emma had come over to help me clean up after the removal men had gone. Two of my neighbours came to say goodbye, I have tried to keep in contact but I’ve not heard from either for a couple of years.

Lots have happened since that day, lost a few friends who have gone upstairs. Cars have come and gone but Banana is still with me.
I have made quite a few new friends, mainly through the various car clubs I’m involved with.

I have the most amazing neighbours who help me whenever I need help, unlike in Essex.

Absolutely no regrets in making the move.

As for going back, well I might go up in August, been 2 years since I have seen my brother-in-law.

Thanks for reading

onen hag oll
Old 12th June 2023, 07:46   #636
onceaknight
Regular poster

Rover 75

Wink The move.

All to often we wrap ourselves up in what seems to be a comfort zone. Same faces, same streets, shops and every day routine. Until day the light switches on and you realise that its not all that it may seem. The people, the neighbours and many of this that surround you are not are not just as friendly or as helpful as you may have thought. When it time to up sticks and move away it the mind game, always questioning your own thoughts and decisions. Am I doing the right thing???? Walking into a new world, regardless where or how far can open the door to many new and interesting insights.
Nicer, happier friendlier people, even more relaxing. Homes are bricks and mortar. You cant take them with you, but the memories you can. Some you want to keep, the rest you just throw away. Good luck with all you do. For yourself it does seem you have done the right thing. Best wishes, stay safe and enjoy.
onceaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2023, 17:25   #637
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool I have just heard some sad news.

When I first moved down I rented a house through Wainwrights the Estate Agents in Saltash. A family run Agency. Anthony is the boss and his son Mike was in charge of the letting side of the business.

It was through Mike that I rented the idea property, especially as it had room outside to park my 3 cars.
Any faults then Mike would get those faults sorted out asap.

I have just heard that Mike has passed away at the age of 46, he was in a hospice. Such sad news.

onen hag oll
Old 13th June 2023, 19:24   #638
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
When I first moved down I rented a house through Wainwrights the Estate Agents in Saltash. A family run Agency. Anthony is the boss and his son Mike was in charge of the letting side of the business.

It was through Mike that I rented the idea property, especially as it had room outside to park my 3 cars.
Any faults then Mike would get those faults sorted out asap.

I have just heard that Mike has passed away at the age of 46, he was in a hospice. Such sad news.
Wow, sad for all who knew him, and how lucky you have been with that association.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2023, 16:47   #639
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Treated myself to a new TV, a Smart one. The old TV was past its use by date, its hard to get the valves for these old TV’s.
One of the delivery team, Simon, well his father in law is a forum member Darren Wyman. Darren’s ZT is currently in storage and was originally bought from Matt Darke aka Cable Tie our RS for the Southwest.
Simon has bought all his MG’s from Matt.

And my neighbour across the street, Gerry, has dug up his rhubarb plants and given them to me. I love rhubarb.
My other neighbour, Kelsey, called me in to sort out the nest of flies that were in the roof of her conservatory. Why me? So armed with my step ladder and a can of fly spray I set about killing the blighters. Then using her vacuum cleaner we cleaned the area. I gave the area a final blast of fly spray.

She gave me a can of cold cider. We sat and chatted for awhile. She has just started a new job in Torpoint. The job is in the care industry.
Then home and sat out in the garden under my new parasol.
My strawberry patch has been working overtime, I have never had so many strawberries. I have given 2 lots to Gerry and Karen, 2 lots to Kelsey and I took 4 bowls worth up to Matt n Shirley.
I also took 10 new Strawberry cuttings, I planted the leaders out last year, and planted them in their strawberry planter. Gave them struck instructions on how to water the plants and how to re-plant the leaders.

On June 12th I took Banana to the body shop to have the sill replaced, and she is still there. Trouble is the husband and wife team have taken on too much work. He has promised me that Banana will be ready by Wednesday. I hope so as we have our epic trip starting on Friday. We are attending the Bluebird Memorial Meet at East Kirkby then we are travelling down to Bredfield in Suffolk to stay with my friends who moved from Kent last year. Been 2 years since we last met.

I can only stay a couple of days as I have an another show to go to the following weekend. And I have already paid for that.
I’m considering buying another MG, I have my eyes set on a certain ZT that goes by the name of “Bumbles”, the exKeith24 car. Another forum member that has gone over to the other side and bought a Beemer.

Thanks for reading

onen hag oll
Old 24th June 2023, 17:36   #640
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

At least you won't have to get a licence for that new TV Bob, as you will not get time to watch it!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote