Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd October 2016, 22:14   #1
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Anyone fancy a job??

Hi all.

My Rover 75 1.8T has proved itself to be very reliable, however i am planning on relying on the car to do an extremely long journey next summer well into Western Europe, this won't be the first time my trusty Rover has embarked on this particular road trip.

I am very conscious (K series paranoia) that the last head gasket change was more than 20'000 miles ago and I can't help thinking I'm on borrowed time before the car descends into a pile of steam & misery, something that simply can't happen 1000's of miles from home.

I've spoken to a few people & the general response is 'if it it ain't broke don't fix it"... which I get but can't help thinking they are basing this on normal everyday use in the comfort zone of being within the UK comfort blanket of a quick call to the AA.. So I would feel much happier knowing that the top end is fully serviced (new head of need be) and the cooling system / fans etc are good as new.

I just want it doing so I can roll off the ferry at Calais with full peace of mind.
Well prepared to part with good money for a good job.
My 75 is for keeps, such a great car, want to keep it well inside & out..

Can anyone help??
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:23   #2
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

I can understand both sides here, if it has had the Gasket done and an upgraded one fitted, then as long as you are vigilant on checking the coolant etc, no reason to replace it.... however knowing that garages on the other side of the channel love to add a few zero's when they see a UK plate, I can't fault you for wanting it to be right.

I want to tour South of France next year, but also fear anything going wrong on foreign soil

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:39   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
I can understand both sides here, if it has had the Gasket done and an upgraded one fitted, then as long as you are vigilant on checking the coolant etc, no reason to replace it.... however knowing that garages on the other side of the channel love to add a few zero's when they see a UK plate, I can't fault you for wanting it to be right.

I want to tour South of France next year, but also fear anything going wrong on foreign soil
I can understand your feelings about being far from home and on foreign soil but I traveled to Italy and back a total of 2000 + miles and I was in a 75 with 154600 miles on the clock and apart from a heart stopping moment with a faulty MAF all was fine.But it is always in the back of your mind that something will go wrong.

But I do live in France so any where is going to be a problem

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:43   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I haven't seen an insurance policy yet that will guarantee to bring your car back from Europe if it does break down.

All the ones I have looked at so far have a clause in the small print that states they will recover the vehicle back to the UK unless it costs more than the car is worth, in which case they will compensate you up to that value.

As they value the car in the condition it is in at the time, i.e. broken down, and the value of our cars is generally pretty low, it's pot luck as to whether you get your Pride and Joy back or not.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:47   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I haven't seen an insurance policy yet that will guarantee to bring your car back from Europe if it does break down.

All the ones I have looked at so far have a clause in the small print that states they will recover the vehicle back to the UK unless it costs more than the car is worth, in which case they will compensate you up to that value.

As they value the car in the condition it is in at the time, i.e. broken down, and the value of our cars is generally pretty low, it's pot luck as to whether you get your Pride and Joy back or not.
One thing about French insurance is that it does include Break Down recovery as standard.
But I would be in the same situation if I broke down in the UK,But then a agin It would not be a problem there to get it repaired

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:58   #6
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
I can understand both sides here, if it has had the Gasket done and an upgraded one fitted
This is basically the headache I have.
There is clearly a head gasket failure / change documented in the service history at 35000 miles.
BUT I cannot establish if it's an upgrade or a like for like gasket set.
No part numbers on the invoice etc. Does however state the introduction of steel dowels which is promising..
Certainly notes head skimming, pressure testing & use of a shin saver.. In all fairness points towards a good job, however all this was done under the previous owner.
Its just a mine field.
Old 23rd October 2016, 23:29   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
This is basically the headache I have.
There is clearly a head gasket failure / change documented in the service history at 35000 miles.
BUT I cannot establish if it's an upgrade or a like for like gasket set.
No part numbers on the invoice etc. Does however state the introduction of steel dowels which is promising..
Certainly notes head skimming, pressure testing & use of a shin saver.. In all fairness points towards a good job, however all this was done under the previous owner.
Its just a mine field.
It matters not one jot if it is documented or not Chris

If you have a look at the outside of the head to block joint, if it has been done with a MLS gasket you will have a "black line" denoting the edge of the gasket, if a standard elastomer gasket had been used, the line will be bright silver as the gasket is stainless steel.

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much, if the car is not using water, and the coolant is not being pressurised then all is well.

Every 75 1800 has steel dowels regardless of whether the gasket has been changed or not, as the use of plastic dowels was discontinued in 1998.

Generally speaking if the head had been overheated to the point of being annealed in the instance of the first head gasket replacement 20000 miles ago and has had the head saver shim fitted, then subsequently covered those amount of miles without issue, the job was done correctly.

The main thing is to ensure your fan works on all speeds, and simply enjoy your trip, life is too short to worry about what may be around the next corner.....and you can congratulate yourself in owning the most reliable model of the lot

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 07:41   #8
mbev51
Banned

Removed

We have recently done 3000 trouble free miles in France over 6 weeks, albeit in a diesel 75. I do carry a range of tools, just in case. On a previous holiday, they relayed me back from Normandy after an auxiliary belt failure, nobody would fix it! What I would do is buy an updated head gasket and a set of belts. If the worst happens you could get the car fixed over there. It's the sourcing of parts that is used as an excuse not to fix our cars, certainly in France. Other than that just enjoy the drive.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 08:07   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Can anyone help??
Chris,
  1. MarinaBrian has given you excellent advice (he is a very technically minded 1.8 engine enthusiast).
  2. You're not too far from Colwyn Bay where club trader Jules will be happy to give your car a health check.
  3. You can test your cooling fan and running temperature yourself; no tools required!

Simon
Old 24th October 2016, 08:08   #10
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

I stuck my camera down there & too this.
Looks pretty black to me
Bloomin photobucket not working..
bare with..

Last edited by Chris G; 24th October 2016 at 12:17..