Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2021, 11:58   #41
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I look forward to your report Rhys. If it's straightforward, you might like to have a peep under the cam cover whilst you're at it.

Simon
Hi Simon,

I would have a look under the camshaft cover but will I not need a new gasket if I remove the cover?
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:53   #42
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Rhys,

That depends upon the material used. My KV6 has sheet metal 'gaskets' which don't require routine replacement.

Since you obviously have a serious tappet problem, I would whip the cover off regardless and order a new gasket if necessary.

Simon
Old 7th March 2021, 13:39   #43
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Update Sunday 07/03/2021
Well I got all the jobs done yesterday but I took my time with it all so wasn't finished until late afternoon.

By the time I had got home and had some play time with the baby I was so shattered I couldn't even keep my eyes open to update this thread!#

I took some pictures as if you're anything like me you like a good photo on the forum.

So first job of the day was to get most of my kit together, nice cold morning and the driveway for some reason acts like a wind tunnel...

Started off by draining the coolant.
Haynes manual said to take the heater return hose off the block.
I didn't bother with that as we weren't going for a full coolant flush here.
Coolant seemed in good condition, no grot to speak of came out.

Next off was undoing the 7 nuts holding the inlet manifold to the head.
I found this part very tricky when I did this job on my fiancée's Rover 25 1.4 a couple of years ago and I think it was because I was using my 1/2" Draper socket set and wrench - a bit bulky for the tight spaces - passed to me by my dad, it must be about 30 years old now and is my go to socket set for most jobs.

Anticipating this job though, I had invested in a 1/4" Draper set and thanks to the extension bars it came with, the job wasn't too bad at all.

For anyone interested, this is the Draper socket set I bought - really nice quality and I recommend if you don't already have one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Q2Y627

With all the nuts removed (and one dropped down into the most inaccessible spot imaginable) the inlet manifold could then be pulled away. I had removed some ancillary components to allow me to move the manifold further away for better access, most notable the breather hoses that go onto the camshaft cover, a few wiring harness plugs that plug into the intel manifold, but also the harness that plugs into the ignition coils.

The old gasket didn't look too bad to me. It looked grubby for sure but nothing that jumped out to me as an obvious point of a leak - maybe more experienced eyes can a tell-tale that I can't.
There were traces of coolant most notably around the brass inserts where the studs go through, but this could've been from a previous repair job. I have it on good authority that this engine has had the head gasket replaced prior to my ownership.

Things cleaned up as best as I could and one of DMGRS' finest viton gaskets fitted and the inlet manifold is ready to be mated back up to the head engine.

Doing the nuts back up, I finally got to use a neat bit of kit I bought a few months ago.
A cheap endoscope camera helped me to see what I was doing when tightening four nuts that are at the bottom of the inlet manifold.

I had taken the advice of member Lovel on another thread I started: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=310067

Using taper washers was something I did on the 25 a few years ago so I had some spare in the shed already, as I had read this advice back then though confess I didn't know at the time that it was Lovel who pioneered the idea.

All the nuts nipped up to the correct torque using a torque wrench.

No pictures at this point as I was getting hungry but lovely 50/50 OAT coolant put back in with bleed screw out. Made a hell of a mess at this point when the coolant started coming through the bleed hole and I dropped the bleed screw onto the gearbox trying to put it back in.

Ran the engine up to temperature, all seemed good so that part of the job done and dusted.

Now moving onto the engine oil flush and change.

The engine was still hot from running up to temperature when I filled with coolant so I dropped the old oil straight away and put a new Mahle oil filter on then filled with the Comma X-Flow flushing oil.
Quite interesting oil - it was very clear not golden like normal oil.

While letting the engine get hot for a while with some fast idling interspersed I indulged in a lunch of champions - Nutella on toast. My childish side still tries to break through on occasion.

After about 20 minutes of idling, mostly at fast idle such as 1500-2000rpm, it was time to drop the flushing oil.

Honestly, I was surprised at how dirty this flushing oil came out especially when you see how colourless it is when you put it in.
Given I had last changed the oil in (I think) September 2020 it seemed fairly grotty.
No sludge or bits of anything came out though.

After letting that drain for a good 20 minutes, and fitting another new Mahle oil filter, it was time to fill with scrumptious new Comma Eurolite 10w40.

With all this done I was well and truly knackered but decided to take her for a spin for half an hour on some A roads to get her up to temp and get that lovely new oil working around the engine.
I was quite happy with my coolant change job, using the on board diagnostics she stayed between 88-93, mostly around 90 though, even when I was belting up a steep hill with foot to the floor.

The verdict?

Well, she still has that ticking/knocking noise but I think its notably quieter.
My partner also commented that the engine sounded much quieter from inside the car. Definitely noticed less droning sound at 65mph/3000rpm too.

Naturally, I have done some videos for those interested.

The first one is a video of the engine idling yesterday after I had done the flush and oil change. This is after I had taken her for a good run so the engine was hot.

https://youtu.be/8SSfeguyahE

This next video is a of starting her up from cold this morning.
Quite nippy this morning, it was only a couple of degrees and I was very surprised at how quiet she was on startup compared to recent weeks.

https://youtu.be/Y9BPskG0MTI

I'm afraid I didn't remove the camshaft cover and inspect underneath, mostly because I was running out of time but also because I was worried about disturbing the gasket and not having a spare.

I am possibly going to purchase a gasket this week as it didn't look too difficult to get the cam cover off so it's something I would be happy to do one evening or next weekend possibly.
Old 8th March 2021, 09:54   #44
Gigagator
Avid contributor

I thought I'd take her to work this morning (mostly so I can check the coolant and oil on the level car park at the office).

She was a bit tappety on start up when cold as expected and as per the video yesterday but I did another video after I had arrived at work and I reckon she sounds much better.

Again, this was after a roughly 15-minute commute mostly on a dual carriageway at 60-65mph:

https://youtu.be/wmk9XWL5-JU

I invite viewers of this thread to compare it to the same sort of video I did after the same commute about two weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
I have done another video this morning after I arrived at work, parked up in the car park with the engine idling. This was after a 15 minute commute, mostly on a dual carriageway at 60mph.

https://youtu.be/_f_dONv5WTU
That is worlds apart, right?
Old 8th March 2021, 11:49   #45
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
That is worlds apart, right?
Absolutely worlds apart Rhys! Flush Out is good stuff isn't it.

Simon