Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2011, 15:38   #21
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I'm not sure if he did fight Ken Buchanan (different weight?), his biggest problem arose when he decided to manage himself. Basic rule no. 1: If you are a little fish, do not get into a shark infested sea.
When you think of the likes of Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, even Don Foster, home bred fighters had an uphill slog. Our lightheavies fight at 14 stoneish but Mike Tyson was the same weight at World Heavy Champion!
Hi Wraymond.....Just had a look on You Tube...Ken Buchanan did fight Roberto Duran 26.6.72 at Madison Square Garden for the WBA Lightweight title.....Duran must have fought at a heavier class as he fought Sugar Ray Leonard later on....a kind of golden era...
Old 8th December 2011, 17:54   #22
3stripes
Avid contributor

1,8 saloon & 1.8t saloon

the fight to have seen was buchanan verses derek johnstone of rangers lol rangers team visited buchanan and derek says he,d be able to beat up ken, so they both go the gloves johnstone had a huge swing missed buchanan hit him bout 8times in belly took johnstone bout 20mins to get on feet again lol, who remembers alan minter and hagler? minter said pre match he wouldn,t lose to a black guy ans got his backside kicked
3stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:17   #23
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stripes View Post
the fight to have seen was buchanan verses derek johnstone of rangers lol rangers team visited buchanan and derek says he,d be able to beat up ken, so they both go the gloves johnstone had a huge swing missed buchanan hit him bout 8times in belly took johnstone bout 20mins to get on feet again lol, who remembers alan minter and hagler? minter said pre match he wouldn,t lose to a black guy ans got his backside kicked
Remember the Alan Minter vs Marvin Hagler contest....Hagler hammered him in about 3 rounds.....can recall the referee stopping the fight
Old 8th December 2011, 18:35   #24
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
Hi Wraymond.....Just had a look on You Tube...Ken Buchanan did fight Roberto Duran 26.6.72 at Madison Square Garden for the WBA Lightweight title.....Duran must have fought at a heavier class as he fought Sugar Ray Leonard later on....a kind of golden era...
Thanks for the correction. Must try harder. The Ray Leonard fight was the one that Duran failed to finish wasn't it? The 'no mas, no mas' one (forgive my awful Spanish). Back to the op thread - it struck me that as both Benn and Eubank had fights with others which ended in tragedy, it is incredible that they didn't inflict more damage on each other during their wars.
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:44   #25
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
Remember the Alan Minter vs Marvin Hagler contest....Hagler hammered him in about 3 rounds.....can recall the referee stopping the fight
That wasn't actually a contest! I liked Alan Minter. He cracked just about the best joke in boxing one night and was always a genuinely ordinary and unpretentious chap. Met him once at an antique fair in Battersea (I used to trade). Most amiable and gentle, surprisingly.
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote