Notices

Old 6th December 2011, 13:18   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
This man killed Boxing, if he was enver involved, boxing would be as prestigious as it use to be, i used to box amateur, 33 fights 29 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. loved the sport, always have, always will, But Don King was the worst thing to happen to the square circle

Agree with you re King. A complete and utter crook. He had long term form for 'persuading' others to agree with him and of course his criminal record is in the public domain, although naturally that shouldn't count against him! I boxed as well, amateur of course, school, Army Cadets etc. Taught all you need to know about respect for others and self-discipline. Probably kept me on the right side of the rails. In my view Nigel Benn was never a boxer, he was a relentless fighter with no reverse gear. Not scientific or classy like, say, Amir Kahn, but it was what most people wanted to see in a ring. The end of the McClelland fight was of course tragic, but to some extent could be expected. At that weight both were superbly fit and strong and very few want to give it up. Any boxer knows that the middleweight division is the hardest fought of all, the big guys can all finish it with one swipe launched more in hope than skill. I thought Benn's fights with Eubank were harder fought. I'm afraid the God bit leaves me cold. Everyone's entitled naturally, and there's none so pure as the purified, but don't kid a kidder - it's a new career.

Last edited by wraymond; 6th December 2011 at 13:22..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 13:56   #12
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick but was he not a very violent nasy piece of work anyway? Someone mentioned Pitbull fighting and other nasties??
Gman as he was known,did breed Pit Bull terriers,yes he was a nasty piece of work but that was part of the territory in this game..Super fit with all the punches,at the time he was considered number1 in the world.

All these years later I still remember Benn being interviewed ranting ''listen to me'' as the doctors were trying to work out McClellan's condition..tragic.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:20   #13
bluey9
Banned

2004 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Saloon, 2006 MG TF Spark 135, Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi

But at that time Nigel Benn wasn't to know how badly injured McClellan was. It was tragic. But that was a risk of the game they were in.

Cheers
Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Gman as he was known,did breed Pit Bull terriers,yes he was a nasty piece of work but that was part of the territory in this game..Super fit with all the punches,at the time he was considered number1 in the world.

All these years later I still remember Benn being interviewed ranting ''listen to me'' as the doctors were trying to work out McClellan's condition..tragic.
bluey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:38   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I would love to have seen Benn v Calzaghe.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:40   #15
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey9 View Post
But at that time Nigel Benn wasn't to know how badly injured McClellan was. It was tragic. But that was a risk of the game they were in.

Cheers
Bluey
It was a great fight but shadowed in doubt over health issues with McClellan..Before the fight he was under the fighting weight and not correctly prepared,but as a middle weight perfectly fit.

Seems a lot of issues never came to the surface over the years,I'm still confused now as I was fifteen years ago.

But as title fights go it was one of the best I've seen.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:55   #16
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

I remember that fight between Nigel Benn and MacCllelan, it was brutal, remember watching Marvin Hagler vs Thomas Hearns in 1984...that first round, both boxers went full pelt at each other.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:41   #17
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
I remember that fight between Nigel Benn and MacCllelan, it was brutal, remember watching Marvin Hagler vs Thomas Hearns in 1984...that first round, both boxers went full pelt at each other.
What about almost every fight of Roberto Duran's? For a warrior like him to turn his back saying 'no more, no more' was an indication of the punishment he had taken and remained on his feet.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:30   #18
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
What about almost every fight of Roberto Duran's? For a warrior like him to turn his back saying 'no more, no more' was an indication of the punishment he had taken and remained on his feet.
Aye i mind Roberto Duran...."Hands of Stone".....am sure he fought Ken Buchannan.....
Old 7th December 2011, 20:41   #19
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Quote:
Aye i mind Roberto Duran...."Hands of Stone".....am sure he fought Ken Buchannan.....
I thought Ken Buchannan was light weight,well he was when he fought Jim Watt..another great fight BTW

Having said that if my memory serves me correctly Thomas Hearns held belts at five different weights.
Old 7th December 2011, 22:11   #20
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
I'm not sure if he did fight Ken Buchanan (different weight?), his biggest problem arose when he decided to manage himself. Basic rule no. 1: If you are a little fish, do not get into a shark infested sea.
When you think of the likes of Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, even Don Foster, home bred fighters had an uphill slog. Our lightheavies fight at 14 stoneish but Mike Tyson was the same weight at World Heavy Champion!