Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2019, 10:45   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Thread lock - looking for a decent one

Has anyone found a thread locker that contains a decent amount of product and isn't ridiculously expensive?

I bought one of these and there's hardly any product in the bottle (supposedly 10ml) - I've used it on 4 bolts and there's hardly any left!
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:29   #2
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Check out this list: Thread lock

We used to use Caterpillar brand thread lock on heavy plant equipment (Caterpillar buldozers/scrapers etc), Loctite do the equivalent approved by Cat. You wont buy better. Just take the part number you want and search for it online.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:46   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
- - - -there's hardly any product in the bottle (supposedly 10ml) - I've used it on 4 bolts and there's hardly any left!

Then you're being too liberal with it. A single drop from the nozzle is sufficient to do the job on bolts up to 5mm diameter. The problem is, thread lock fluids are rather thin liquids and difficult to dispense efficiently. And because of the way they cure (anaerobically), they're more expensive than most other servicing fluids.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:22   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Has anyone found a thread locker that contains a decent amount of product and isn't ridiculously expensive?

I bought one of these and there's hardly any product in the bottle (supposedly 10ml) - I've used it on 4 bolts and there's hardly any left!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Then you're being too liberal with it. A single drop from the nozzle is sufficient to do the job on bolts up to 5mm diameter. The problem is, thread lock fluids are rather thin liquids and difficult to dispense efficiently. And because of the way they cure (anaerobically), they're more expensive than most other servicing fluids.

TC

Beat me to it, I was gonna ask what mammoth bit of machinery the bolts had come from.
Like T-Cut says you only need a drop on smaller bolts and maybe two on large bolts >m10. You don't need to cover the whole thread either. Some prefer to use the wax type thread locks like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-248...omotive&sr=1-1

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:24   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think I have something similar to https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Loctite-248...yABEgIvOPD_BwE

this may well work
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/black-...iABEgJH_fD_BwE

got some on the lid to tin seal, could not remove the lid. I'm joking, don't use por 15 you wont get the nut and bolt apart and I mean you wont get the nut and bolt apart

maafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:45   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Threadlocking systems come in various grades or strengths. Check the manufacturer's data sheet. If you need to stabilize a bolt that may well need removal later (eg: a cambelt tensioner bolt) get one that can be easily undone again. There are three or four hardness bands. The hardest makes a thread that's impossible to slacken and you'll shear the bolt before the threadlock breaks. Having to heat a belt tensioner bolt to 250C to degrade the threadlock is not the way to go.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd October 2019 at 20:48..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 21:09   #7
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Always read the manufacturers instructions as to whether you put a drop or fill a joint. It does vary.

We always recommended loctite products as it was reckoned that they were more but not totally tolerant of contamination on threads.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 22:41   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Use the word "Bre..t" in the thread and the moderators will show you how to lock it immediately!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 09:00   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Check out this list: Thread lock

We used to use Caterpillar brand thread lock on heavy plant equipment (Caterpillar buldozers/scrapers etc), Loctite do the equivalent approved by Cat. You wont buy better. Just take the part number you want and search for it online.
Excellent Loctite info in that pdf - thanks very much.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:05   #10
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Then you're being too liberal with it. A single drop from the nozzle is sufficient to do the job on bolts up to 5mm diameter. The problem is, thread lock fluids are rather thin liquids and difficult to dispense efficiently. And because of the way they cure (anaerobically), they're more expensive than most other servicing fluids.TC
The problem with dispensing is there's no clear strip on the bottle, so you can't see where the fluid is or how much is left. I put a small smear on each bolt (fuel tank carrier) so yes it was more than a single drop. A single drop is impossible when trying to do it upside down under the vehicle.