Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th October 2019, 11:12   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I was going to suggest checking the oil level. They can get a little tappety at the top end if oil starved. Hopefully a top up will rectify it
-If an engine becomes---Oil Starved---the first thing it will do is seize up.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 11:13   #12
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Timing belts were done 50k miles ago and I really.have no idea about the idler or tensioner The oil was changed just 1k miles ago with the right amount of motul 10w40
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 11:21   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Timing belts were done 50k miles ago and I really.have no idea about the idler or tensioner ...
It's therefore possible that the idler and tensioner could have covered in excess of 50,000 miles. Mine exhibited bearing noise at 90,000 miles and once renewed, the engine sounded smoother and quieter than it ever had before. I would therefore recommend that you start with the ancillary belt and take it from there.

Simon
Old 4th October 2019, 19:20   #14
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

@SD1too, checked the oil the way that you told me and it's perfectly at level, also added a hidraulic lifter additive and drove about 30 miles and nothing has changed... So I therefore think too that this may be the tensioner or idler as you previously told me. On this occasion I will replace the whole distribution kit, and I have a few questions about it. In order to do this job properly, what are the things that one should give more attention to? And also, which parts should be replaced to have the complete distribution properly done?

Also, until replacing the distribution, is it a temporary fix that would make this tapping noise go away? It really kills me

And can somebody explain how that noise really happens and if it can damage something further if left unattended?
Old 4th October 2019, 20:40   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
@SD1too, checked the oil the way that you told me and it's perfectly at level, also added a hidraulic lifter additive and drove about 30 miles and nothing has changed... So I therefore think too that this may be the tensioner or idler as you previously told me. On this occasion I will replace the whole distribution kit, and I have a few questions about it. In order to do this job properly, what are the things that one should give more attention to? And also, which parts should be replaced to have the complete distribution properly done?

Also, until replacing the distribution, is it a temporary fix that would make this tapping noise go away? It really kills me

And can somebody explain how that noise really happens and if it can damage something further if left unattended?
To do the job properly is to fit the complete kit.

The noise will only go away when you find and replace the part making it.

The dipstick is a guide to the amount of oil in the sump. You will not be struck by lightning if you accidently let it fall below the lower level mark.-- in fact you would be really surprised how low it could get without ruining your engine.

This talk in previous posts about not enough pressure to fill the tappets does not make sense. If the pressure fell like that then the oil light on the dash would light up. Any air gaps in the oil train circulating in the engine will immediately put on the oil low warning light.

Exactly like air in the brake fluid lines would immediately light up the brakes warning on the dash.

Both oil and brake fluid systems must NEVER have air in them.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 21:41   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The noise occurs when the tensioner and/or idler pulleys rotate with abnormal friction and/or exert incorrect force upon the belt. If left unattended the belt is at risk of breaking.

Simon
Old 5th October 2019, 09:43   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Just to eliminate the canister purge valve, disconnect the plug and see if it persists. The purge solenoid valve is mounted on the rh end of the upper inlet manifold as you look at the engine.

The purge valve only clicks in specific circumstances and usually at tickover and is similar to a bad tappet. Your sound seems more rapid but it's worth checking.

TC
You might be able to confirm/rule out the purge valve using a listening stick. Put one end in your ear (cover end of stick with thumb) and the other end on the purge valve - the volume of the tick should increase dramatically if it's the valve.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 12:28   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
You might be able to confirm/rule out the purge valve using a listening stick.

Already eliminated - see last line of Post 7.

tc
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 18:02   #19
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I closely listened as far as I could reach with my ear towards the idler and the tensioner and the noise really doesn't seem to come from there Although I really hope that it comes indeed from one of those as it is anyways time to replace the belts
Old 6th October 2019, 06:56   #20
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Would also put your ear to the exhaust down pipe manifold gasket whilst you are at it.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote