Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st October 2019, 09:22   #11
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Cheers ! Viton they are !
I inherited this name some years ago, it's the age thing doing us both in progressively, so unsure of who got crowned 1st
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 14:24   #12
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The 'stat is a piece of cake on a BMW though..........small tip John, I use a pair of miniature mole grips on the large hose clip on the 'stat housing, slide the released clip down the pipe, and allow it to remain in place throughout.

It's a tight job, and budget for a leisurely three hours when you do it.

A an aside, the o ring material formulation was changed, what colour is the replacement you have? the old ones were blue, and the new ones yellow.

The blue ones don't like OAT

Have fun

Brian
The seal that emerged from this vehicle was green and leaking very well.
I had to remove and install the thermostat with the top rebellious pipe in situ. Mild bad language was used during this process but initial post fit checks reveal a tight seal - so far !
Old 8th November 2019, 08:51   #13
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Further on with this, so far all is good, but the cause of the problem ?

Well we know that some of the seals specified were not up to proper spec, just the same as the intercooler seals on the diesel model, but maybe a coincidence - the heater matrix was partially blocked for some time on this car, maybe this was a contribution to the eventual failure of the seal due to increased pressure. This train of coincidence is due to a much younger car with previous oil cooler internal breakdown filling the cooling system with engine oil springing a similar leak in exactly the same place as well as a similar blockage of heater matrix offering heat to the driver's side only.
Perhaps worth considering if anybody else experiences similar problems.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:50   #14
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

when I did this job, I was tempted to cut the elbow out of the pipe and join it with a silicone elbow/mikalor clips that are readily available.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 12:57   #15
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Indeed, a purposeful get around if all else failed, however I was in deep enough to replace the stat and "O" ring together, hopefully that's job all over for my ownership !
Old 8th November 2019, 13:54   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
This train of coincidence is due to a much younger car with previous oil cooler internal breakdown filling the cooling system with engine oil springing a similar leak in exactly the same place as well as a similar blockage of heater matrix offering heat to the driver's side only.

From my experience as a former research chemist, the effect on seals is easily explained. Many of the o-rings used in engine cooling systems are made from EPDM polymer. This material is a good, cost effective rubber for sealing aqueous glycol cooling systems, provided it remains oil-free. If the system gets contaminated with engine oil, whether that's mineral or fully synthetic, the EPDM components will suffer. This could be an alternative explanation as to why some cooling systems suffer o-ring leaks and some don't. A trace of oil is sufficient to cause degradation of EPDM seals. Viton however, is much more expensive but is totally resistant to all automotive fluids under usual operating conditions. A good example was Xpart's change from the green/blue EPDM inlet manifold (1.8) gasket to Viton. The colour however, is irrelevant. Viton products come in a range of colours, just like EPDM and the rest.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 8th November 2019 at 14:00..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote