Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th November 2019, 20:46   #11
wixyw
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

The waste gate problem was fixed a couple of years ago, and has been okay since, though I suppose it is possible it might of stuck again.

Regarding suggested Turbo check, when it is revved up, the smoke is white to grey, not black, and does not really smell of oil. The engine does not seem to be using much oil.

Thinking about the smell, it maybe the clutch, it is that sort of smell, gets to the back of your nose a bit !

Phil
wixyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 21:01   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A smoking clutch smells different from any of the usual smells we're familiar with around cars. When I first experienced it, I thought what the Hell's that? I suppose a glowing brake disc would elicit a similar odour from the pads.

What year is the car?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 21:48   #13
wixyw
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

It's a 2003 model.

Phil
Old 13th November 2019, 17:23   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixyw View Post
It's a 2003 model.

Then to eliminate Fuel Filter Syndrome, I suggest you remove the left side hatch in the floor under the rear seat. This gives access to the fuel filter module. Remove the large steel locking ring so the module can be lifted a few inches. Visually check it to see if a Fabled Orange Clip is present. If not, fit one.

Image linked from: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=58868

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 13th November 2019 at 17:26..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 23:32   #15
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Will look into all the suggestions, thanks, much appreciated.

To describe the cutting out, you press the throttle, the car picks up, it starts to accelerate then just cuts out for a second or two. It is quite severe, you can feel a jolt, then it just picks up again. but by that time you have lost revs and momentum. No lights come on the dash, but for a second or so the engine is dead.

The car is a 2003 K series 1.8T tourer. I have a diesel, just never got around to adding the tourer on !

A friend has plugged it into his garage computer and it has come up with two faults, a misfire and a weak mixture, if this throws any more light on the problem.Phil
Not sure how relevant this may be, as mine is a CDT, but shortly after I first bought it, it kept cutting out in this way, and would only drive at low throttle openings in low gears, but might suddenly recover and drive perfectly - until it happened again, and again. After much reading on here, I tried disconnecting the MAF sensor - problem gone, so I drove it like that until the new sensor arrived.
I think clutch slip is unlikely to be the cause of the smell - you would notice the revs rising without proportionate speed increase, or alternatively, revs only dropping slowly as you let out the clutch when changing up. The mechanic I asked to diagnose my juddering clutch took over 30seconds of revving the engine while heel-toeing the brake as he let the clutch slowly out before burning smells and smoke appeared. (The handbrake wouldn't hold it). When I changed the clutch a few weeks later, having driven the car another 2,000 miles, the friction material was so thin, the rivet heads had been worn off, and the friction material was loose, yet the car was still capable of motorway+ speeds, as long as you didn't accelerate too quickly.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 17:56   #16
wixyw
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Took it down to my local garage, as it was booked in for the MOT, and they had a look, and found the wastegate was seized solid, they have managed to free it off and got it working again, so hopefully this might be the problem, or at least part of it.

Phil
Old 15th November 2019, 01:45   #17
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Took it down to my local garage, as it was booked in for the MOT, and they had a look, and found the wastegate was seized solid, they have managed to free it off and got it working again, so hopefully this might be the problem, or at least part of it.

Phil

If the Wastegate was seized in the closed position - this would cause Overboosting and Fuel Cut - there would be a considerable enough increase in Power output from the Engine prior to fuel cut - potentially enough to slip the clutch briefly - this could explain the Squealing Noise and the Smell.

Paul.

*to add - the Increase in Boost pressure also makes a more audible... i'd say whistle...but maybe squeal ? - just prior to reaching fuel cut

Last edited by Sheraton; 15th November 2019 at 01:52.. Reason: addition
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 10:06   #18
wixyw
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

Hi Paul, yep, I think that explains things nicely. The wastegate was stuck in a closed position, so it seems that was the problem, causing the overboost ! Maybe a whistle describes the noise better !

Drove it home last night, it's only 5 miles, but it seemed fine, lots of power and it now revs without cutting out.

It even passed the MOT with no advisories for a change !

Thanks again for everyone's help and ideas.

Phil