Old 5th September 2012, 23:52   #11
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie dunc View Post
Give up my car?..........which one I have 5

Crazy I know but it's what makes me tic, I love a car
I know you.... You’re the no-publicity guy that won £5,000,000 on the lottery. Gonna pleeess geeze a few quid to help pay for running my one and only car.
Old 5th September 2012, 23:57   #12
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcar View Post
Pray in-lighting me, what is a Landi?
It is a four wheel drive device, usually green with sheep dogs sat in the back.

I have a series 2A Landrover sat in the garage waiting for a diesel transplant. A 1969 model, so it is road tax exempt and will cost about £85 a year to insure, under a classic policy.

My next plan

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 00:13   #13
cossie dunc
I really should get out more.......

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcar View Post
I know you.... You’re the no-publicity guy that won £5,000,000 on the lottery. Gonna pleeess geeze a few quid to help pay for running my one and only car.
No no no you've got the wrong guy! I've only got one pair of shoes and two pairs of jeans

I should point out my 5 cars only add up to the value of most of my mates one Bmw or Mercedes
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 01:44   #14
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

But surly only millionairs have two pairs of jeans
Old 6th September 2012, 07:02   #15
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Just bear in mind that an average monthly payment for a half decent car is now around £500!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:13   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

We recently took a ride on the buses/ day out over to the coast, using bus passes. We drove over to the nearest pick up village on the route, parked up and then onto the coast express over to Scarborough. It took around twice as long to get there, when compared to my driving, but for the first time I got to see some of what was we were passing at the roadside. Quite enjoyable, a change for me and it was free of cost. I've had the pass for five years and really, this is the first time I have used it.

I so enjoyed it, we tried it again, the very same week, but over to Whitby, then on down to Scarborough. Must admit I was glad I had someone with me who is familiar with buses, determining bus routes and timetables - she has been on the local public transport consultation committee for years and doesn't drive.

I found some of their customers much more annoying than the use of buses.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:13   #17
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

A car is freedom !!!!!

And freedom costs !!!!
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:18   #18
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
We recently took a ride on the buses/ day out over to the coast, using bus passes. We drove over to the nearest pick up village on the route, parked up and then onto the coast express over to Scarborough. It took around twice as long to get there, when compared to my driving, but for the first time I got to see some of what was we were passing at the roadside. Quite enjoyable, a change for me and it was free of cost. I've had the pass for five years and really, this is the first time I have used it.

I so enjoyed it, we tried it again, the very same week, but over to Whitby, then on down to Scarborough. Must admit I was glad I had someone with me who is familiar with buses, determining bus routes and timetables - she has been on the local public transport consultation committee for years and doesn't drive.

I found some of their customers much more annoying than the use of buses.
reading your last line proves another good reason for owning a car !!!

Avoiding the public .

I pick em up every working day and lets face it some people dont know what soap is and lack common manners.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:58   #19
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
A car is freedom !!!!!

And freedom costs !!!!
I totally agree: with you George
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 08:07   #20
SWStuPiDent
Regular poster

1.8 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
A car is freedom !!!!!

And freedom costs !!!!
Aint that the truth?

I was without a car for 4 weeks during late June into July this year, and turned to cycling, walking & using the public transport.

Getting into Oxford by coach wasn't too much of an issue, and i could put my bike on the coach as well (very unusual) and it was probably cheaper than driving and park n riding, but not as convenient.

Getting to Banbury by train (interesting that the train into Oxford only runs once about every 2 hours from here, but trains to London & Birmingham are about very 10 minutes) was an absolute rip off at £8.90. I took my bike, but on the way back, had to stand in the door way of the 1st class carriage as the bike was put in the guards van right at the front of the train... Could not have done my access course at Banbury College without my car

I also have 2 kids, so getting them about without a car is a complete nightmare...

I am so glad i found my £600 R75 marvel, because 3rd class riding (not that the rover is in any way 3rd class) beats first class walking any day of the year

As a mature student, i need the flexibility a car gives me, and cos i live in the boondocks, public transport isn't up to it (unlike Oxford, where it's regular and subsidised) and i can't rely on it.

I guess i will just carry on shelling out whatever i need to keep my freedom, although, i shall be financially better off on my student loan, it's still going to mean scarifice. This current government are making sure that if you're on benefits (which i was whilst i took my access course) you won't be able to afford to run a vehicle... "Heavens, how could we have those who don't work driving about in any kind of car, it's just not right"

Becci
SWStuPiDent is offline   Reply With Quote