Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th April 2022, 16:42   #23
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Default Which driving technique uses the most fuel !!!!

I just waded though 6 pages of claptrap,,, in answer to the buss driving instructor DD busses get just about the worse fuel figures on this planet,,and all that stopping and starting plays hell with the brakes... Now all you old boys still driving old Fodens and ERFs and do,nt mentions Borderers ,those trucks where slow and the brakes where NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-,so of course you had to use the box to slow down,,modern trucks with auto boxes and very powerful brakes ,you still need to drop a gear but you can rely on the brakes .. The technique I use in my tourer auto deisel is this .. I accelerate slowly until about 50mph when the box changes into top,then I can press harder until 60/70mph ,then put on CC... Slowing I knockoff CC change to gear manually into forth ,slow down (no brakes ) then third at about 45/50 ,revs go to about 3000. For about the last 8years I,v been driving my 75 from London to Lincs over night ,so I get chance to really drag out a good fuel figure (47mpg if you are interested(on the A1) Having just retired after "yes" 50 years ,and after driving just about everything there is to drive I prefer the old fashion way ( gears brakes,mirrror signal maneuver )not always in that order mind...regards all
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote