Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th November 2020, 18:21   #41
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Don't worry about 0.4 or 0.5 ohms.
  • Your multimeter's accuracy could account for that (note that the readings were different last time).
  • It's reassuring that you have the same reading for the same type of solenoid.
  • The solenoids will still operate as the difference in current will be only about 26mA (which is tiny).

Let us know how you get on with the fluid level check.

Simon
Yeah, I’ll let you know this week.
Good bye.
Shuriken_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 14:38   #42
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Unhappy

Hello, today big problems:
I put the gearbox on D, the gearbox make a big jerk.

On the road, the passages became very, very hard( big jerk between every Gear change), I dared to drive only 5 minutes.

I let the car cool a bit. I drove again and the gears were less hard ( even though I could still feel them).
I don’t understand anymore.
I don’t drive until I get the gearbox oil.

Good bye.

Last edited by Shuriken_57; 16th November 2020 at 20:22..
Old 17th November 2020, 19:53   #43
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Having read this post from start to finish, it appears that you have only really one option if you do not know when the gearbox oil was last changed. No good topping up old fluid with new fluid. Get it all changed as described in SD1 reply to you. You may find if you drain the old fluid out it is like treacle. Thick, black and useless.This is also the cheapest option available to you instead of guessing what is wrong. If you have changed the gearbox oil, you evidently have not checked the fluid as it should be checked, and if required, topped up. My advice is to drop Trikey a message and do what he says. That would also be a cheaper option than ruining your gearbox. Change your fluid please.

Last edited by bl52krz; 17th November 2020 at 19:58..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 05:24   #44
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Having read this post from start to finish, it appears that you have only really one option if you do not know when the gearbox oil was last changed. No good topping up old fluid with new fluid. Get it all changed as described in SD1 reply to you. You may find if you drain the old fluid out it is like treacle. Thick, black and useless.This is also the cheapest option available to you instead of guessing what is wrong. If you have changed the gearbox oil, you evidently have not checked the fluid as it should be checked, and if required, topped up. My advice is to drop Trikey a message and do what he says. That would also be a cheaper option than ruining your gearbox. Change your fluid please.
Yes,i will change the fluid this week. I've changed only 3 liters for the moment.
Old 18th November 2020, 06:59   #45
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken_57 View Post
Yes,i will change the fluid this week. I've changed only 3 litres for the moment.
Hi Brahim,

You may already know that the traditional method used by garages and main dealers replaces only half the total capacity of the gearbox. Club member Beinet devised an advanced procedure to replace it all but I don't recommend that you attempt that at the moment.

The total capacity of the transmission is 8 litres. You will only be able to drain half that quantity (less if the gearbox is underfilled).

MG Rover's official instruction to dealers is to drain the fluid, measure the quantity, then add the same amount of new fluid (N402 spec.) plus an additional one litre. Then proceed as described in my post no. 37.

Be absolutely certain that you have correctly identified the drain and level checking plugs before you begin.

Please keep us informed of progress as you have been doing.

Simon
Old 20th November 2020, 12:55   #46
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Hi Brahim,

You may already know that the traditional method used by garages and main dealers replaces only half the total capacity of the gearbox. Club member Beinet devised an advanced procedure to replace it all but I don't recommend that you attempt that at the moment.

The total capacity of the transmission is 8 litres. You will only be able to drain half that quantity (less if the gearbox is underfilled).

MG Rover's official instruction to dealers is to drain the fluid, measure the quantity, then add the same amount of new fluid (N402 spec.) plus an additional one litre. Then proceed as described in my post no. 37.

Be absolutely certain that you have correctly identified the drain and level checking plugs before you begin.

Please keep us informed of progress as you have been doing.

Simon
Hello, I followed your advice . No change.

I feel each gear change especially the first three.
I also feel them by slowing down.
I don’t understand anymore.
I made 2 gearbox oil change. I also feel a shock when I put the gearbox in D or R or N.
The lower engine mount is new (ordered from DMGRS).

Sometimes gear change go pretty well (I feel them ) and then suddenly it’s very hard and it slams.

Last edited by Shuriken_57; 20th November 2020 at 14:21..
Old 20th November 2020, 13:49   #47
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I followed your advice . No change.
That's disappointing. However it may point us in a different direction.

Automatic transmissions are very sensitive to the engine running perfectly. When did you last perform a service? Is the idle speed high? Is the crankcase breather tube broken at its joint with the T piece underneath the engine acoustic cover?

Simon
Old 20th November 2020, 14:23   #48
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Quote:
Yes,i will change the fluid this week. I've changed only 3 liters for the moment.
I thought when no more oil flows out of the gearbox, you need 4 litres to fill it back up, not 3 ?!?
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 15:06   #49
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
That's disappointing. However it may point us in a different direction.

Automatic transmissions are very sensitive to the engine running perfectly. When did you last perform a service? Is the idle speed high? Is the crankcase breather tube broken at its joint with the T piece underneath the engine acoustic cover?

Simon
The idle speed is good(700-750 rpm) . I ve checked the crankcase breather ,it's ok.
I’ve had the vehicle for a month. The previous owner made the cambelt, the VIS , the oil changes... The engine works perfectly.

Last edited by Shuriken_57; 20th November 2020 at 17:11..
Old 20th November 2020, 15:06   #50
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
I thought when no more oil flows out of the gearbox, you need 4 litres to fill it back up, not 3 ?!?
The first time i've changed only 3 liters. Now , I've changed the 8 liters of the gearbox.

Last edited by Shuriken_57; 20th November 2020 at 15:52..