Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th October 2021, 12:13   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default self levellers

Just failed the mot due to several things but the real puzzle i would like help with is the rear self levelling sensor. The tester states its missing and technically he is right. Sensor is screwed to the sub frame but its not connected to anything due to the double ended pivot arm being absent, however there is no bracket on any part of the suspension for it to connect to. In addition i would say its not been connected for years, its rusted/ corroded into a blob of plastic/metal, so can the levelling sensor at the front do the job on its own??? Opinions on how to proceed appreciated.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 14:46   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

If you place a heavy load at the rear of the vehicle it will have only a small effect on the front suspension, but rather more on the rear!

So no, you need both.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 15:49   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
Just failed the mot due to several things but the real puzzle i would like help with is the rear self levelling sensor. The tester states its missing and technically he is right. Sensor is screwed to the sub frame but its not connected to anything due to the double ended pivot arm being absent, however there is no bracket on any part of the suspension for it to connect to. In addition i would say its not been connected for years, its rusted/ corroded into a blob of plastic/metal, so can the levelling sensor at the front do the job on its own??? Opinions on how to proceed appreciated.
I think I'm correct in stating that originally there was only a front level sensor (hope someone else can confirm this fact), the rear unit was added to later models, sorry don't have any cut-in dates; the sensor part numbers (which are E39 'ish BMW items) are different for front and rear.
If you want to try and 'cheat', remove the rear mechanism bits that still remain, tape up the sensor electical link out of sight and go somewhere else for your MOT (ensuring the front sensor does still operate properly).
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 16:56   #4
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

thank you chaps, I have gone down the replacement route, the rear sensor was shot and had a bmw part no so thats on its way, and the missing link is ordered from a supplier of adjustable connecting rods that have excellent reviews. I will fabricate a new bracket for the upper arm fixing point , so will post how I get on.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 21:20   #5
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
thank you chaps, I have gone down the replacement route, the rear sensor was shot and had a bmw part no so thats on its way, and the missing link is ordered from a supplier of adjustable connecting rods that have excellent reviews. I will fabricate a new bracket for the upper arm fixing point , so will post how I get on.
Not sure if these might help or not but here are pics that show the bracket on the upper arms I changed out on mine. I also changed the sensor as the arm was seized solid and the sensor itself split open. I dropped a dod of white grease in the new ones joints and threads before fitting to reduce the corrosion on it

Last edited by Maxfly; 14th October 2021 at 21:22..
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 09:39   #6
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I know that I need to replace the rear level sensor on mine as it appears to be seized and the plastic arm is all twisted, it doesn't seem to have affected the levelling though.

Funnily enough, put my car in for service/MOT yesterday and they found the front levelling sensor arm had become disconnected so reconnected that before testing. Haven't done a lot of night driving recently to have noticed that the beams would probably have been on the default setting, which is dipped right down - unless it had become disconnected in the mean time.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 10:20   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

[QUOTE] I know that I need to replace the rear level sensor on mine as it appears to be seized and the plastic arm is all twisted, it doesn't seem to have affected the levelling.

The levelling is done by the special dampers, the sensors are required to set the headlight assemblies to the correct functional positions.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote