Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2021, 19:32   #1
PMAN01
Happy to waft not race thanks!

Default RAC man suspects fuel rail sensor….

Thought I had cam sensor issue. Non start when warm. Eventually starts after cranking 6-8 times. Visited Lancaster and got back to car. No start at all! Changed old for new sensor, still no joy! Damn. Called RAC and he (after checking fuel wasn’t the issue (UBP fine, fuel getting to it etc) he sprayed Easy Start into air intake and it starts! He thinks it’s the fuel rail sensor. I tend to agree. Where can I get one please folks? Car may or may not start in the morning for work so will need quick postage from somewhere!
PMAN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 19:49   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would suspect low fuel pressure to be the cause rather than the sensor itself.
Old 12th October 2021, 20:04   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exforces View Post
Thought I had cam sensor issue. Non start when warm. Eventually starts after cranking 6-8 times. Visited Lancaster and got back to car. No start at all! Changed old for new sensor, still no joy! Damn. Called RAC and he (after checking fuel wasn’t the issue (UBP fine, fuel getting to it etc) he sprayed Easy Start into air intake and it starts! He thinks it’s the fuel rail sensor. I tend to agree. Where can I get one please folks? Car may or may not start in the morning for work so will need quick postage from somewhere!
Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump, There is a kit from www.darwendiesels.com CMR 1700-9 for Bosch CR-1 pump.

Do a search herein.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 20:18   #4
PMAN01

[QUOTE=grivas;2903397]Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump.

RAC did mention low fuel pressure hence his nod to the sensor.
Lee T replaced this not that long ago, in May. He said it’s a Regulator kit for HPFP. Some sort of seal kit.

Can I unplug it like the MAF?

Last edited by PMAN01; 12th October 2021 at 20:39..
Old 12th October 2021, 20:44   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Richard.
As anyone done a leak back test on your car yet, if not get one done, also even though you the RAC says the UBFP is ok if you have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel it can struggle.

If you suspect the fuel rail sensor ? then drop mickyboy a PM and see if he can send you a good used one out asap, be best if you could get it on T4.

I presume this is the O-rings that Lee fitted to the regulator.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334135381254

I doubt he did a full refurb on the HPFP.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203408799927

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 12th October 2021 at 20:48..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 20:48   #6
PMAN01

Hi there Arctic!

Lee T did that in May. I don’t suspect any injector issue. Replaced 2. The others were - one was guite good and one was good.
Also the RAC man connected up to the plug by the drivers knee area (forgotten what it’s called!) and no errors except for ‘Can’ which he couldn’t clear??

Last edited by PMAN01; 12th October 2021 at 21:05..
Old 13th October 2021, 23:24   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump, There is a kit from www.darwendiesels.com CMR 1700-9 for Bosch CR-1 pump.

Do a search herein.
I agree, although changing the seal on mine didn't work. I got a new solenoid of Ebay for about £45.00 which lasted until 4 lads drove into the car and wrote it off.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 20:27   #8
PMAN01

I do find myself in an unsustainable situation. The car is our only car and is required daily. Problems are occurring relatively frequently and so I have to get help to diagnose the problem, when that’s done find the part, wait for the part, wait for the garage to fit me in, schedule the garage appointment into our busy lives and do without a car for the time it is in the garage. Every breakdown is few days of headache and it’s getting worse as the car gets older. If I lived with a mechanic and had access to another car, all would be well.
Old 15th October 2021, 12:11   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by exforces View Post
I do find myself in an unsustainable situation. The car is our only car and is required daily. Problems are occurring relatively frequently and so I have to get help to diagnose the problem, when that’s done find the part, wait for the part, wait for the garage to fit me in, schedule the garage appointment into our busy lives and do without a car for the time it is in the garage. Every breakdown is few days of headache and it’s getting worse as the car gets older. If I lived with a mechanic and had access to another car, all would be well.
That's a tough position to be in. Mind you, it's a good reason to get a motorcycle - you know, for emergency use .

Seriously, the time has come to get your car to the closest member here to you with a T4 or TOAF to properly read the codes. Someone who actually KNOWS these cars as opposed to someone or someplace who don't see more than 2 or 3 of them a year (figuratively speaking). The other OBD2 scanners may work somewhat, but really aren't compatible. Let whoever that is troubleshoot whether it is the solenoid, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator or HPFP. Then let them get a good used replacement from Mickeyboy, install it and continue on happy motoring.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 20:24   #10
PMAN01

I’m getting it looked at Wed (when at work at least the car is available to be looked at) and go from there. When diagnosed I’ll have to get a part, no doubt, and then wait for it in the post then book it in for replacing. Time to dust down that draft advert for the car I did a while back when another episode got me pulling my hair (what I have isn’t much anyway ) and see what interest there is out there for it. Time to bow out as, I’ve noticed, others in a similar position to ours have done. Watch this space….