Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2014, 12:42   #31
fathead431
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5, Slammed 1.4 Rover 45 Hatchback

The thread needs updating as I ended up doing just that. Drilled the three extra holes in opposite positions to the original ones and used camber adjustable E46 top mounts. They fit fine, and with minor adjustment the top mount bearings sit over them alright ish too. No signs of weakness in the strut top, no cracking, no stress marks, however I find that the nut on the top of the shock tends to loosen itself from time to time and cause a knocking noise. I suggest nyloc nuts for them.
fathead431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 20:29   #32
Kyletrek
Gets stuck in

MG ZT saloon

Default Fitting Coilovers: How-To

Just seen your reply hopefully after Christmas I'll be able to start sorting the bits out for coilovers going to change some of the bushes as well
Kyletrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 11:24   #33
bolino
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

i have everything needed except the top mounts for this this conversion. Am i right in thinking these top mounts will be ok.

Cheers
bolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 11:48   #34
fathead431
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5, Slammed 1.4 Rover 45 Hatchback

Been so busy, not had a chance to get a photo, yeah those are the ones I used. You need to drill the strut towers for them to fit though.
fathead431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 14:14   #35
Kyletrek
Gets stuck in

MG ZT saloon

I've got the same ones in my watch list hoping to get the coil overs done early next year then onto intercooler turbo and mapping
Kyletrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 19:30   #36
bolino
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Do you have a pic of your strut towers with them drilled and fitted?
bolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 20:01   #37
tbirdbooboo

mg zt-t+ 2003

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but thought I'd have a vent really.

I've had my ztt for nearly a year now and about 6 months ago I got hold of the e46 coilovers and have since been reading everyone's post's about this mod and what they need etc etc...
Today I got my e46 pillow ball camber adjustable top mounts so we finally set too on the job of lowering the car - I didn't get any drop links as I was still unsure weather I needed shorter/longer or what so was going to cross that bridge when needed plus I don't need to use the car at the moment so it's OK being off the road for a week or so.
Going through this walk-through with my friend who is a good mechanic we set off - he wasnt really happy from the beginning as it is just a bodge isn't it but I insisted we do it and see how we get on.
So new holes drilled and topmounts were fitted, coilover in place and straight away, there is no plate at the top between the coilover spring and the topmount and it just didn't seem right -we had a read through posts and scoured Google for any info as neither of us had used these style topmounts before and couldn't find any info so carried on.
Then we got the wheel on and it's rubbing on the coilover in particular the adjuster plates on the coilover so you can't lover too much without needing spacers. Setting up took a lifetime.
Did anyone mention which way you need to set the camber topmount too as its fully adjustable you would idealy need some correct tracking and camber setup tool aid to help....
But after a good hour or so of fiddling we sort of had it set so nothing was rubbing - a.r.b was tied up temporarily and I took car round the car park...
...gave it to my mate and he had a quick spin...

Reversed it back in the workshop.
The l metal on metal clunking from the front end was soo bad that it all went back to factory. we are capable guys not armatures,Ive fitted coilovers to many cars but this is one unsafe mod, it's just dodgy and I really feel that if you want s lower zt... then a zt isn't for you. I cant see how guys have got their zt through an mot with the e46 coilover setup.

Basicly don't do this bodge it's unsafe!
tbirdbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 21:05   #38
AndreRijo
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Extreme Spec ; Rover 45 MKII Connoisseur Plus

This may be of your interest. Mine to....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=222061

Regarding your attempt... Maybe you should have used oem top mounts instead of adjustable ones. They are not suitable for road use, they tend to turn the ride very harsh.

I've know and driven a ZT very lowered with top of the range lowtec coilovers, oem BMW E46 top mounts and shorter BMW drop links. The drive is stiff but the handling is great and there's no knockings of any kind.

My ZT-T is lowered 50mm on the front and 40mm on the back, using the standard shocks and modified OEM springs. It works, but I would prefer a straight fit set of coilovers.
AndreRijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 21:53   #39
tbirdbooboo

mg zt-t+ 2003

Hi thanks for that.
We had the factory top mounts, a set of normal bmw ones and the adjustable ones available but the factory mg and bmw ones gave the wrong angle without hacking them to pieces defeating the object of them, that's why I think the adjustable ones are required the counter the angle you get from lowering the car but it was just too much metal on metal rubbing and nicking for me .
tbirdbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 10:11   #40
AndreRijo
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Extreme Spec ; Rover 45 MKII Connoisseur Plus

Have you tried using only the OEM E46 top mounts and coilovers?
AndreRijo is offline   Reply With Quote