Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2023, 14:28   #1
Peakyblinder

MGZT

Default ZT 120 1.8 no turbo K series engine locked solid

Hi Ladies and Gents

You guys are my last chance before my trusty ZT 1.8 K Series 120+ of seven years ownership goes off to the breakers yard or similar. The sorry story is as follows.
Car was driving great three weeks ago parked her on my drive ready to journey again later.
Yesterday went to start her and she made that horrible but normal your battery is flat noise when trying to turn her over so tried to jump her and still she tried but wouldn't turn over.
Called the RAC and they diagnosed a faulty starter. I had a spare new one bought just in case of such an eventuality and they kindly fitted it . Still the same would not turn over, she tries but its like she has massive compression or something. I would gladly give someone a couple of quid if they are nearby to Romford Essex and could take a look because at the moment things are not looking great. She didn't overheat beforehand and has plenty of oil no mayo on the stick no mayo on the filler cap either.
This has totally perplexed me and I don't really want to scrap her if I have missed something stupid I could have checked.
Hoping you can save her. She only has one owner before me and 64,000 on the clock!
Peakyblinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:53   #2
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand - you'll need a big socket (not sure of size but possibly 24mm) and a lever on the crankshaft pully, behind the offside (driver's side RHD) wheel and arch lining.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 15:05   #3
Peakyblinder

MGZT

Thanks Kevin will give it a try
Peakyblinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 15:53   #4
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Take the spark plugs out and try turning it over, have someone looking for water coming out and of which pot.sounds like it's hydrolocked
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 19:01   #5
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default K series locked up

May or may not be relevant, my 1.6 k series locked up on the first start up of the year. Turned out to be hydrolicked on no 1 cylinder. Cause, slightly slack inlet manifold 1st three next to cam belt end of engine. Tightened them and restarted engine after putting plugs back in.

Dont know why studs came slack I have never done any work on this engine in the 5 years of ownership. There was quite an amount of coolant blasted out of the plug hole when I first spun engine over after removing plugs.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote