Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th January 2018, 07:57   #11
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi Lovel,

Thanks for your info.

I am dealing with a water leak on mine. I guess the waterpump is the culprit, but may be the bolt you are mention as well.

Do you have some pictures of your engine showing the "V" and the rear and right bottom end? There is a square hole in the casting right below the hose-nipple on the rear right end. Is this hole only a blind? Is there any drain channel from the "V" and down on the RH side?

Trying to figure out where this is comming from:

beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 12:18   #12
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi Lovel,

Thanks for your info.

I am dealing with a water leak on mine. I guess the waterpump is the culprit, but may be the bolt you are mention as well.

Do you have some pictures of your engine showing the "V" and the rear and right bottom end? There is a square hole in the casting right below the hose-nipple on the rear right end. Is this hole only a blind? Is there any drain channel from the "V" and down on the RH side?

Trying to figure out where this is comming from:

[/URL]
The fluid looks pretty clear a lot like water. Are you sure its coolant? Any chance its coming from the paper inlet manifold gasket. my experience suggests you need to nip these up after a few thousand miles.

A couple of other photos of the same area.

Its funny that you popped up on this thread today as I'm coming across to the Forus area tomorrow for 2 days on business.

Last edited by Lovel; 30th January 2018 at 12:45..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 12:49   #13
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The fluid looks pretty clear a lot like water. Are you sure its coolant?

A couple of other photos of the same area.

Its funny that you popped up on this thread today as I'm coming across to the Forus area tomorrow for 2 days on business.

Hi Lovel,

Thanks for the pictures. Nice to see somebody setting up the KV6 tensioner the correct way

This is coolant, confirmed by color and smell. I also had some coolant found in the "V", replaced the thermostat and still have the same leak as in the pictures. Just curious where at the bottom end a leak from the "V" would show up. Checking the inlet manifold gaskets may be a good idea if the "V" is still wet. It seems that I have to remove the covers to identify my leak and prepare to replace at least the water pump.
This car is stored away for the winter, so I have to wait for the spring to do anything about it. In the mean time, it is all about Land-Rovering around in this bad weather.

Be prepared for some bad rain and wind when coming over tomorrow, but it will turn over to clear and cold weather on Thursday

BTW,
Which company are you going to visit?

Last edited by beinet1; 30th January 2018 at 12:59..
Old 30th January 2018, 20:38   #14
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Hi Lovel,

Thanks for the pictures. Nice to see somebody setting up the KV6 tensioner the correct way

This is coolant, confirmed by color and smell. I also had some coolant found in the "V", replaced the thermostat and still have the same leak as in the pictures. Just curious where at the bottom end a leak from the "V" would show up. Checking the inlet manifold gaskets may be a good idea if the "V" is still wet. It seems that I have to remove the covers to identify my leak and prepare to replace at least the water pump.
This car is stored away for the winter, so I have to wait for the spring to do anything about it. In the mean time, it is all about Land-Rovering around in this bad weather.

Be prepared for some bad rain and wind when coming over tomorrow, but it will turn over to clear and cold weather on Thursday

BTW,
Which company are you going to visit?
Couple more photos. Note on the casting for the water pump there is a casting hole at about 5 o’clock. However it doeasnt seem to emanate through to the other side. It seems to be in line with a transfer port bump on the oil pump.

TCO.

Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 21:05   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I also had some coolant found in the "V", replaced the thermostat and still have the same leak as in the pictures.
Did you ensure that the clips on the straight coolant pipe were pushed outwards as far as they will go, i.e. in contact with the water pump casting and the themostat housing?
Quote:
Just curious where at the bottom end a leak from the "V" would show up.
I have experienced this. The coolant drains from the 'V' via a hole in the corner between the R.H. bank and the water pump casting. It then trickles down the engine and dries on the oil filter and surrounding area. First inspection leads to the belief that the water pump is leaking, but it's not.

Simon
Old 31st January 2018, 06:07   #16
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

I have experienced this. The coolant drains from the 'V' via a hole in the corner between the R.H. bank and the water pump casting. It then trickles down the engine and dries on the oil filter and surrounding area. First inspection leads to the belief that the water pump is leaking, but it's not.

Simon
Hi,

Yes, its this drain port / route I am trying to identify. Lovel`s first picture in his latest post shows a hole at 5`o clock under the water pump inlet which may work as a drain hole. The question is if this is a blind hole only or if it goes through the block somewhere. In my case, it seems like the water might come from the square hole in the casting rigth below the hose nipple on the lower RH side of the block:

As mentioned, I replaced the thermostat this fall in an attempt to stop the leak, but never had time to drive the car many miles before I parked it up for the winter in a remote storage. So first port of call will basically be to stop any leak in the "V" and dry it up.
Old 31st January 2018, 08:43   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
So first port of call will basically be to stop any leak in the "V" ...
My tip for that job is in my last post. It appears to have worked for me, so far!

Simon