Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2012, 18:37   #1
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Default Changing my front springs how hard what tools etc ?

Lo all, firstly I know that no one is likely to post me a blow by blow instruction here but if I can I would really like to do this job myself.
I really am sick of my car grounding on every bloomin tiny bump.

As a newbie home tech , I am collecting tools for the long term now so even if I have to buy tools I would not let it put me off BUT above all ,I want to be safe and succeed. I have seen videos ( non Rover 75) of folk taking front springs off without compressors ( not putting new ones on though ? ) and it didnt look a terrible or dangerous job if i'm honest however I'm waiting for a flood of noooo don't do that.

All I really have at the moment is a good trolley jack some stands , nice socket set, torque wrench and the big hammer !

So apart from 2 new correct springs how many compressors if any do I need and should I attempt this. Also where is a decent guide hopefully not Haynes ?? My nearest Rover helper is some way away rather than round the corner so I may have to attempt it on my own in my little shack / dump , I mean workshop.

Regards
Mas
Old 17th January 2012, 18:53   #2
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi,

You need a pair of spring compressors. I did this job last summer on mine. The "hardest part" migth be the pinch bolt at the bottom of the shock absorber. Use a lot of penetrating oil on this days before and loosen it with a breaker bar and a high quality socket with "round corner design" The cheap sockets migth round the bolt head.
Here is my "how 2" on the other site: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=429651
Good luck

P.S.
Remember to replace the upper strut bearing while doing this.

Last edited by beinet1; 17th January 2012 at 18:58..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 19:20   #3
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Ive obviously failed at the concept stage, do you actually need to take the struts off then
I assumed they stayed on
regards mas
Old 17th January 2012, 19:44   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep they have to come off - the spring comes off from the top.
Not a big job, although as mentioned the pinch bolt can be a right pain if its seized.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 19:48   #5
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

Ahhhh penny drops . the excelent video i saw was not a rover 75 and the spring came off of the bottom, i kind of thought ut woukd be the norm.
see i told you i was a beginner

Last edited by ukmastiff; 17th January 2012 at 19:52..
ukmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 20:26   #6
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

I'm not going to say noooo! but will just add a few words of warning if you've not done something like this before... because I've seen the hole left in a breeze block wall when a spring broke free (luckily nothing else got in the way!)

Make sure that whatever spring compressor you hire/buy is fitted securely. If you're using the type that has two or three separate clamps tighten them slowly and evenly to prevent one from becomming slack and slipping round (or off) the spring.

Once the spring is fully compressed (so there's NO pressure on the top plate) you can remove the strup top centre nut (it helps if you slacken this nut a couple of turns while the strut is still on the car).

As the Rover springs are tapered at the top, and the top plate is fitted at a slight angle, it can make it a little awkward to position some types of compressor, so it will help if you make a note of how the compressor is fitted to the old spring before you (slowy and evenly) release the compressor and start compressing you new spring.

It's also wise to move any compressed springs around carefully (don't just lift it off and drop it on the floor).

Get yourself a workshop manual too (Haynes will be will be fine for this) and read through all the steps before you start - then if there's anything that's confusing you can shout up here for advice before you've got the car in bits
Dave-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:27   #7
mskll5

Rover 75 Saloon

You need a pair of spring compressors. I did this job last summer on mine. The "hardest part" migth be the pinch bolt at the bottom of the shock absorber. Use a lot of penetrating oil on this days before and loosen it with a breaker bar and a high quality socket with "round corner design" The cheap sockets migth round the bolt head.
Here is my "how 2" on the other site: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=429651
Good luck

P.S.
Remember to replace the upper strut bearing while doing this.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou for this link it is step by step photo's and looks like a job i can tackle
mskll5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:06   #8
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskll5 View Post
Good luck

P.S.
Remember to replace the upper strut bearing while doing this.

Thankyou for this link it is step by step photo's and looks like a job i can tackle [/QUOTE]

Good to see that my old threads is still usefull. Sadly, I cant say the same about that car. I think it has gone through the shredder by now....
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 23:26   #9
Den
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Changing my front springs how hard what tools etc ?

All of the above but remove the strut with the hub. Order new hub nuts (32 or 36mm A/F [Land Rover 36mm A/F]) and a torque wrench 350Nm or impact driver 450Nm. If used with impact driver because the torque is 450Nm. I've done this and had no problems, after 10K miles and 2 MOT's.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 13:17   #10
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

I've done the springs and I really didn't enjoy it. I wasn't keen on compressing the springs to remove and fit. The whole thing just didn't feel that safe despite having some decent spring compressors. Maybe because it was the first time I've done springs.

If they need replacing again I'll just take the strut out and pass it to a garage to remove and refit the springs and then refit the strut myself.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote