Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th September 2012, 06:41   #1
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Default My ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) flush & fluid change - how to

Hi all,

I have just done my second ATF flush & fluid change after a cracked reverse piston repair and decided to take a few pictures and write this how to. As many of us know, is that only 50-60% of the ATF fluid will be replaced during fluid change according to the procedure. This how to shows how to replace nearly all the 8 liters in the system.

1: Jack up the left hand front wheel and secure the car on axle stands

2: Remove the engine undershield and locate the gearbox drain plug. Its the large hex plug at the gearbox underside.

3. Place a large pan under the gearbox, remove the drain plug and let all the fluid drain out. Measure the amount drained from the box for later reference. It shall be something like 3-4 liters.
Remember to use nitirle or latex gloves to avoid skin contact with the ATF fluid.

4. Inspect and clean the magnet in the drain plug. If you can find swarf here, it migth indicate gaerbox problems. Put drain plug back into place.

55. Now, locate the two lines between the gearbox and oil cooler. Remove the lowermost hose from the oil cooler by pushing the black collar on the inner end of the oil cooler tube into the connector to release the connector`s retainer tabs.

6. Put a hose on the stud on the oil cooler and put the other end into a container. Preferably one where you can measure the amount of fluid pumped out.

7. Remove the air filter box and locate the filler plug on the top of the gearbox. Remove filler plug by pulling it out and put a clean funnel in the filler opening. Add 4 liters of fresh ATF fluid to the gearbox.

8. Here comes the trick. Get an assistant to start the engine and let it idle in Park. The gearbox will now pump out the oil in the converter and oil cooler into the container. The fresh oil in the box will displace out the old oil. Watch the level into the container and stop the engine when 3,5-4 liters are pumped out. You will only need 10-15 seconds running of the engine to do this.

9. Remove the hose and container, put the hose from the gearbox back onto the oil cooler. Lower the car back down to the ground. Make sure it is level.

10. Measure the total volume drained and pumped out of the gearbox. It should be something like 6-8 liters. You have allready added 4 liters to the box, so add more fresh fluid to a total volume the same as the 6-8 liters drained out + approx 0,2 liters. Put the filler plug back into place.

11. Locate the small level plug under the gearbox. A 5mm allen key shall fit into this one. Place a low container under the gearbox.

12. The fluid level shall now be set according to the Rover procedure. Start the engine, apply the brake and go through all gears/shifter positions one by one and stay in each position for minimum 3 seconds. Return to Park. Let the engine idle until the ATF fluid has reached 35-40 degrees C. The procedure calls for a T4 to check this, but I think it will be sufficient to check the temperature at the aluminium block where the hoses are connected to the oil cooler. When this feels warn, the temperature shall be OK. Remember to put the AC system to OFF when doing this so the fan does not run.
Set the level by removing the level plug and let the fluid drain until it just "dribbles" out of the box. Put the plug back into place, stop the engine and put the air filter box back into place.

If you take a look at the fluid drained out, it will tell you how the fluid looks/smells after the replacement.

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of this How-To can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this How-To.

Last edited by beinet1; 22nd November 2018 at 14:13.. Reason: Disclaimer added as per Club Policy
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 18:25   #2
robearner
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Smile Great Post, thanks!

Wish I had seen this before I changed the oil - really informative and clear... well done!

Rob
robearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 21:59   #3
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Default Ditto!

...and great images too - thank you!

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:54   #4
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

This is really helpful - thank you!

Think I am going to give this a go when the weather improves.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:38   #5
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Thumbs up Jatco Box

Great 'How To' Einar.I am sure that will draw a lot of interest. Many Thanks
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 14:42   #6
Ford Prefect
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I have seen thios done in the states, its teh norm there, however there is one addition (subratction really!) there they remove the line, and add a hose, have the full amount of fluid + soem excess in one container and just let it run till the required amount has been drawn into the gearbox, no draining before hand! it does not actually matter if more than the required is drwan in, as the same about will have been pushed out the other end.., as long as the new fluid container is not let run dry you will always be OK
1997 TB called Ed, runs on grass
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE (LPG)
1975 MG Midget
1959 Austin Healey Sprite

I think I may have a problem
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:12   #7
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Thanks for the feedback guys
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 18:06   #8
75lpg

ROVER 75 TOURER

Default rovers what fun

well 2 jobs done today bottom hose not gettin hot so removed plastic thermostat housing and managed to remove inners so hope that helps cooling , also changed auto transmission fluid and did the trick and put hose on bottom cooler line and pumped all old fluid out after removing drain plug and adding 4.5 litres all topped up and gear change seems to be more possetive now as beffore was a bit hitty missy :-) thanks for the post realy helpfull but i still think a dip stick would have been easier lol .
75lpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 21:48   #9
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Just had another look at this and I'm looking forward to the weather improving in order to get this job done...

Two questions however,

1) How much fluid should I purchase? Some people are saying 4.5l will be enough, others say around 6 litres?

2) Is the level plug easy to find? Can't quite spot it in the photo and don't want that to be the stumbling block!

Thanks again for an informative 'How to'.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:52   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
1) How much fluid should I purchase? Some people are saying 4.5l will be enough, others say around 6 litres?
The total capacity of the transmission is 8 litres (MG Rover figure). In his text Beinet1 suggests that you buy 8.2 litres since his method replaces all the fluid, including the quantity normally retained in the torque converter.

Simon