Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2022, 07:37   #11
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I took a 3500S to Italy via Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland and San Marino in the late 60's and would love to do that trip again but very much doubt that I could!!! The "three passes" round robin whilst in Switzerland was the highlight.
Old 10th February 2022, 09:20   #12
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

The longest road journey I ever did was in 1997 when I worked on a roadshow for Xerox. This was just after the first digital photocopier ("The Document Centre") was launched and at this stage there were only three of them in the world, one being in Europe.

Xerox needed to train their engineers how to work on them and their sales staff how to sell them (they had several advantages over analogue photocopiers) and it was decided that the best way was to take the photocopier around Europe on a tour rather than bringing all the staff to the photocopier.

So I drove a Volvo F12 with a 45' exhibition trailer which gullwinged out on both sides, the interior was a mock-up of an office, and once inside you would never guess you were in a lorry trailer.

The itinerary was Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, St Petersburg, Moscow (again), Kiev, Bucharest, Istanbul and Belgrade, spending a week in each. Once everything was set up, I was only required on site for half an hour at the beginning and end of the day for start-up and shutdown, the rest of the time I just went sightseeing.

From beginning to end, the whole tour took 107 days, or three-and-a-half months.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2022, 10:10   #13
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Meneac to Venice

Four years ago we went from Meneac(France) to Venice (Italy) Via the St Gothard pass in Switzerland,then Milan and Verona total of 2,470 miles.75 CDT with 180,000 miles on the clock

Prior to that way back in the day We went from Birmingham to Pisa in a MK One Sprite with a small camping trailer. Whilst there we went to Monaco and drove thru the Grand Prix circuit Tunnel there and back we did a total of 2500 Miles.

If you are going to do it, DO IT Dont think about it.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 13:13   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have been contemplating a drive to Corfu in the 75 as I fancy a warm holiday with the dog without subjecting her to flights.
here you go!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Becc...1!2d39.6249838

I'm too old to be a co-driver! (Wish that I wasn't!)

Highlights include the San Gotthard pass, Lac Lucerne, Altdorf (home of William Tell), Andermatt, Italian Lakes at Lugano and Como, Milan (try it at rush hour!), Parma (ham for the dog), San Marino (just over from Rimini on the coast), followed by hundreds of miles of the Italian East coast road before the ferry at Bari to Corfu. If you need more of the coast road, you can continue to Brindisi for a shorter ferry ride.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 12th February 2022 at 13:25..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 19:25   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
here you go!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Becc...1!2d39.6249838

I'm too old to be a co-driver! (Wish that I wasn't!)

Highlights include the San Gotthard pass, Lac Lucerne, Altdorf (home of William Tell), Andermatt, Italian Lakes at Lugano and Como, Milan (try it at rush hour!), Parma (ham for the dog), San Marino (just over from Rimini on the coast), followed by hundreds of miles of the Italian East coast road before the ferry at Bari to Corfu. If you need more of the coast road, you can continue to Brindisi for a shorter ferry ride.
Thats the route I was looking at, thankfully I have driven Milan at rush hour (And Rome) A few times, and once I put my 'Italian driving head' on, all was fine, no indicators, just horn and right foot planted.
Old 13th February 2022, 09:21   #16
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have been contemplating a drive to Corfu in the 75 as I fancy a warm holiday with the dog without subjecting her to flights.
Morning Andy ……It’s certainly worth doing and if you can, share the drive with a mate even if it’s for their company. Yes, take the dog, that’s all part of the fun and do it before you get too old.

In 1999, I met up with a mate in Huston, at the time he was down on his luck, but that’s another story. We crossed the border at El Paso and I spent a month driving through and exploring Mexico finishing up in Mexico City. We had many adventures along the way and none of them were bad. The trip saved my mate.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 18:22   #17
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Morning Andy ……It’s certainly worth doing and if you can, share the drive with a mate even if it’s for their company. Yes, take the dog, that’s all part of the fun and do it before you get too old.

In 1999, I met up with a mate in Huston, at the time he was down on his luck, but that’s another story. We crossed the border at El Paso and I spent a month driving through and exploring Mexico finishing up in Mexico City. We had many adventures along the way and none of them were bad. The trip saved my mate.
Sounds like a proper adventure Phil, I shall do it when funds allow, and I get a Rover prepared enough to tackle 3000+ miles.
Old 18th February 2022, 08:47   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Default Ferry on fire !

Sad news this morning:-
https://enimerosi.com/details.php?id=66083
Many being taken into Corfu for treatment and temporary shelter.
Old 18th February 2022, 12:27   #19
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Probably doesn't count, but I once did London to Athens overland in the 1970s Magic Bus era.
Next cheapest thing to hitching it, I think the ticket was less than £30.

That was an experience, it even had more passengers on board than it had seats.

If a totally clapped out coach can make it, it must be a doddle in any of our cars.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2022, 19:01   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Sad news this morning:-
https://enimerosi.com/details.php?id=66083
Many being taken into Corfu for treatment and temporary shelter.
Oh no!! Thoughts are with the passengers and crew