Notices

Old 21st April 2019, 16:44   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Sorry, I missed your post.

I've not really looked at Pentax before.
Based on what you've said I will have to read up.
What's lens availability like?

I have heard that they are very well made.
Lens availability is excellent and lenses are of a superb quality, I have been using Pentax since my student days, that is when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and I have always rated them very highly, they are every bit as good as the Nikons etc, but more affordable and extremely good value for money, from what I gather I would recommend a KS-2, although made of strong polycarbonate, the build quality is superb, and very compact, if you need a more rugged but affordable on go for the K-70, very few cameras can hold a candle to this one at any price let aline at this one, the K-1 is a truly giant killer, I would liken it to the no legendary Pentax LX, which in its day was ( and in many ways still is!) a remarkable piece of engineering, I still have mine, bought it for 700 GBP in Cambridge in 1986, back then that was 2 week's wages, good ones go for silly money, the only thing that goes 'wrong' is the seal that cushion the returning mirror, that't because the wrong spec adhesive was used at manufacture which after 30 years slowly destroys the seal so the mirror seats slightly lower thus infinity focusing is slightly out, go figure!!!.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:09   #12
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Lens availability is excellent and lenses are of a superb quality, I have been using Pentax since my student days, that is when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and I have always rated them very highly, they are every bit as good as the Nikons etc, but more affordable and extremely good value for money, from what I gather I would recommend a KS-2, although made of strong polycarbonate, the build quality is superb, and very compact, if you need a more rugged but affordable on go for the K-70, very few cameras can hold a candle to this one at any price let aline at this one, the K-1 is a truly giant killer, I would liken it to the no legendary Pentax LX, which in its day was ( and in many ways still is!) a remarkable piece of engineering, I still have mine, bought it for 700 GBP in Cambridge in 1986, back then that was 2 week's wages, good ones go for silly money, the only thing that goes 'wrong' is the seal that cushion the returning mirror, that't because the wrong spec adhesive was used at manufacture which after 30 years slowly destroys the seal so the mirror seats slightly lower thus infinity focusing is slightly out, go figure!!!.
Thank you for the information and nice that you still have your old camera. A hell of a lot of money back then, mind you, the price of them now is eye watering to the extreme!

The thing that makes me hesitate about switching brands is I know how Canon operates.
I've tried using an Olympus and Sony camera and it may as well have been another language. I couldn't fathom it out at all, so gave up.
Plus, I have quite a few lenses which would make the switch more complicated. Not out of the question though....

Has anyone ever used this company? Based in Cheltenham and seems about the cheapest place to buy camera gear that I can find....
https://www.nextdaycamera.co.uk/acat...QAvD_BwE#a6276
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:28   #13
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thank you for the information and nice that you still have your old camera. A hell of a lot of money back then, mind you, the price of them now is eye watering to the extreme!

The thing that makes me hesitate about switching brands is I know how Canon operates.
I've tried using an Olympus and Sony camera and it may as well have been another language. I couldn't fathom it out at all, so gave up.
Plus, I have quite a few lenses which would make the switch more complicated. Not out of the question though....

Has anyone ever used this company? Based in Cheltenham and seems about the cheapest place to buy camera gear that I can find....
https://www.nextdaycamera.co.uk/acat...QAvD_BwE#a6276
Precisely, the important thing to remember is that ALL the mainstream manufacturers produce excellent cameras to say the least, so if you have a sizeable collection of lenses which you have spent a great deal of money in acquiring over the years, from a specific manufacturer, then stick to that manufacturer, assuming of course these are compatible with new models, the beauty of Pentax is that ALL their so called legacy lenses are back compatible. Canon are as good as any, then go for the next up the scale from your current model ensuring that build quality, versatility etc is at least as good as the current, read the reviews, and go to a good shop and handle the thing. Good luck let us know what you decide.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:25   #14
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Precisely, the important thing to remember is that ALL the mainstream manufacturers produce excellent cameras to say the least, so if you have a sizeable collection of lenses which you have spent a great deal of money in acquiring over the years, from a specific manufacturer, then stick to that manufacturer, assuming of course these are compatible with new models, the beauty of Pentax is that ALL their so called legacy lenses are back compatible. Canon are as good as any, then go for the next up the scale from your current model ensuring that build quality, versatility etc is at least as good as the current, read the reviews, and go to a good shop and handle the thing. Good luck let us know what you decide.
Thank you for that.
It's good to know that with Pentax you can use old lenses too.

I'm swinging towards a new 6D mark2, but I've a question...
I can't afford a new 5D mark5, but was wondering, what is better, a used 5D mark2, or even 3, or, a new 6D mark2?

I've read that the 6D mark2 is not good at low ISO.
My current 700D is at it's best at 100 ISO.
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:25   #15
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Phil, I went from Nikon to an Olympus Mirrorless with a weather sealing body, etc. Stick with the brand you know best. 18 months on, I am still learning the Oly and it’s menus.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote