Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2019, 14:32   #11
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Interesting comments so far.
My initial thoughts, before any searching, were to try to emulate the original silencer. Perhaps some extra noise insulation wrapped around it (I had thought of something like fibreglass, but that is not suitable), then put an outer cover of metal around that, securing with metal tiewraps or similar. Just idle thoughts at the time.
I then started on ebay, looking for exhaust wrap (no real idea what to look for, didn't know if anything existed) and came across many similar items to the link I posted. SOME actually state for use on (m/c?) exhausts to quieten them. Other items popped up in the search. Again, multiple finds, there were inserts for silencers, which redirect exhaust gas towards the innards of the silencer. Also a sort of "expanding" core to fit in the silencer, which you poke up the pipe, then start the engine to warm it. It then expands to add more noise insulation (apparently).
As I am about to dismantle the older car, which has a fair exhaust (but with the same symptoms) I was wondering about experimenting with that one.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained?
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 16:16   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Always good to experiment if you can afford the failures. Go for it. The poke it in and heat up stuff sounds interesting, I'd just be worried about ending up with an exhaust that's restricted by too much obstruction.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 18:21   #13
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Just for interest, a couple more items that I came across whilst searching:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-C....c100009.m1982
Old 21st April 2019, 21:22   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
A large part of the original pipework was also double skinned
Only from the manifold joint to catalytic converter

In answer to the original question, I should imagine it will make no difference whatsoever to the sound output, a cheap exhaust remains a cheap exhaust.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:04   #15
Soca
Regular poster

Rover75

Default Noisy aftermarket exhaust

I had this problem and found that stuffing course fibreglass matting into one side of the exhaust pipe worked a treat, nice quiet exhaust and didn't affect the performance! No longer sounded like a boy-racer! Almost as quiet as an original rear box!
Soca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:37   #16
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I have Thermal Exhaust wrap on my Manifold - I'm all for it r.e maintaining Exhaust Gas temperature Inside the Manifold - helps reduce under bonnet temps - and increase turbo efficiency......... best of all, it looks the part

I haven't seen any issues with moisture or damage to my Manifold - I did recently replace the thermal wrap that had been on for a while - so I'm happy it won't have a negative affect for me in this regard.

I wouldn't wrap a Backbox myself - or any part of the Exhaust that would likely be as exposed to the wet - i'd expect it may cause issues with moisture retention and corrosion.

it would dampen the sound somewhat without a doubt - it would absorb soundwaves to some extent - how effective it would be

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 07:20   #17
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Well, it looks like I'm going to have a go.
As I have my blue car which I'm stripping - that takes priority, to get it out of the way - I have a good condition exhaust on that to play with, albeit with the same problem.
The plan at the moment is to remove it (it is in 3 sections) and concentrate on the rear silencer. I may also involve other sections later if all goes well. First job will be to clean and paint it, although it is reasonable at the moment. Then the silencer will be wrapped. I intend to source an outer metal skin to keep it covered, so I'll be visiting the local metalshop in Cambridge to see what they have in stock. I reckon some thin pliable metal can be fairly neatly shaped around it to keep the wrap dry, and secured by built in flanges and/or metal cable ties. Time will tell. It won't be immediate, but I will report on here when I've done it, if anyone is interested.