Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2018, 11:02   #1
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Default Petrol to Diesel

Hi all an thoughts on this?
Hi saved an 04 (07 reg) 2.5 Connie from Coparts last year had it repaired and started using it from Jan this year. So far it drive ok, though the v6 is a bit on the sluggish side (I'm used to the MG variants) my diesel ZTT feels much quicker and does 2 times the mpg. over the past 3500 miles i've done i've found it uses oil, when it hasn't been used for a few days it smokes on start up and smokes for half a mile down the road. It now has 63500 miles (got it with 59k). Also uses a small amount of water - but not in the oil.
Now I also have an 05 ZTT diesel that I bought for spares, with traction control cruise etc. what would the difficulties be in swapping the diesel into the petrol car.
My thinking is spend the money refurbing the diesel engine (if needed) rather than the V6. I could also have cruise and traction control.
How difficult would this swap be? would I need to swap the complete wiring looms or just the engine loom as well as tank fuel/pump etc.
Thanks

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 13:12   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

the cruise control from a diesel I don't think will swop and work on a petrol engine, I'm sure they are completely different.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 13:16   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
the cruise control from a diesel I don't think will swop and work on a petrol engine, I'm sure they are completely different.

macafee2
As you say the CC is a different set up on the petrol to a diesel,the petrol has a cable throttle and the diesel is Fly By Wire.

also the ECU etc will be totally different.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 15:48   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Complete wiring loom required, as well as fuel tank and all the fuel lines

And I have to ask if it's worth it bearing in mind the DVLA won't change the taxation class and you will still be paying over £500 P.A. to tax it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 18:37   #5
confronted
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Complete wiring loom required, as well as fuel tank and all the fuel lines

And I have to ask if it's worth it bearing in mind the DVLA won't change the taxation class and you will still be paying over £500 P.A. to tax it

Brian
Beg to differ did the swap 6 months ago no problem with the DVLA
confronted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 19:11   #6
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Thanks for the replies.

As far as the CC and traction control I would be swapping them over if I change the car to diesel.
The tax on the car as Brian says is currently over £500 but the DVLA said they could change it if I had proof of when the car was actually manufactured, which I kindly got from Xpart just need to send it off now.

The actual question was how difficult and what needs to be changed to convert the car from a 2.5 V6 to the diesel bearing in mind I have a running diesel donor car. The reason is more economy plus the V6 is using oil, so it will need at least a minimum heads off and new valve seals, cambelt etc. and the engine will still feel underpowered. So do I spend money refurbing the V6 or freshen up the diesel and put that in the car..

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 19:18   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Thanks for the replies.

As far as the CC and traction control I would be swapping them over if I change the car to diesel.
The tax on the car as Brian says is currently over £500 but the DVLA said they could change it if I had proof of when the car was actually manufactured, which I kindly got from Xpart just need to send it off now.

The actual question was how difficult and what needs to be changed to convert the car from a 2.5 V6 to the diesel bearing in mind I have a running diesel donor car. The reason is more economy plus the V6 is using oil, so it will need at least a minimum heads off and new valve seals, cambelt etc. and the engine will still feel underpowered. So do I spend money refurbing the V6 or freshen up the diesel and put that in the car..
It will be everything, and I mean everything stripped from the ZT-T to do the job, basically you will be reshelling the ZT-T.

I'm assuming as you got it from Copart, the 75 is on the hit list

As to DVLA let's see how you get on with changing the taxation class, it took me six months, and seven letters, and that was just for a change of engine size

If you are successful, I would be tempted to start a thread detailing exactly how you achieved it, as I'm sure there are a few late V6/V8 owners who would be interested to find out how

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 19:28   #8
confronted
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

From memory ,
Fuel tank filler neck and pipes,
main wire harness,
ecu,
long drive shaft,
suspension struts,
throttle pedal
alarm ecu,
depending on the model you may have to change the heater assembly,
there may be more but don,t let it put you off (it can be done )
confronted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 01:15   #9
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

How did some diesels come with "traction control" and others not? Was it an optional extra at the time?
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 06:13   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Now I also have an 05 ZTT diesel that I bought for spares, with traction control cruise etc. what would the difficulties be in swapping the diesel into the petrol car.
It would be a shed load of work. As Brian says, you will pretty much be reshelling the ZT-T.

Along with all the major items there are many smaller bits and pieces - for example even the expansion tank and roll over valve (it sits under the OSR wheel arch liner) for the petrol tank is different to the diesel assembly.

If you have the time I'm sure it would be an interesting project though.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote