Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2018, 17:00   #1
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Default Broken spring and leaky shock help

Hi,

Big bang while going over a speed bump today so pulled in to the local halfords autocenter (it was only 100yards down the road)

Off side front spring has broken and is fouling the tyre, they also pointed out that the near side shock is leaking as there is a little oil on the metal piston part.

I am going to need to have both front springs replaced, not something I want to try doing myself so will need to find a garage to do it.

Codes under the rear seat are QK and RE so have found the parts at rimmer bros. They also list a complete strut assy for some codes but not a diesel ZT, it would appear, pretty anoying as it would save a few pounds.

Is it imperative that I change the shocks or can I get away with a little oil seepage. I know places like halfords and kwik fit like to try and get you to change things that don't really need doing.

I only bought the car a couple of weeks ago so having to shell out for everything now is a bit of a hit to my wallet, especially as i bought it knowing it needed two rear tyres and need to get those replaced soon.

How much am I likely to have to pay in labour to have the springs and shocks replaced?

Looks like £300ish for shocks, springs and top mounts and I expect labour to be quite a lot.

One of the rear wheels is also pretty badly buckled so going to be looking for a good gridspoke soon too before I get new tyres fitted.

Hopefully the spring hasn't damaged the front tyre too much and it's still good.

I may have to invest in a set of spring compressors and have a go myself.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:01   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
Hi,

Big bang while going over a speed bump today so pulled in to the local halfords autocenter (it was only 100yards down the road)

Off side front spring has broken and is fouling the tyre, they also pointed out that the near side shock is leaking as there is a little oil on the metal piston part.

I am going to need to have both front springs replaced, not something I want to try doing myself so will need to find a garage to do it.

Codes under the rear seat are QK and RE so have found the parts at rimmer bros. They also list a complete strut assy for some codes but not a diesel ZT, it would appear, pretty anoying as it would save a few pounds.

Is it imperative that I change the shocks or can I get away with a little oil seepage. I know places like halfords and kwik fit like to try and get you to change things that don't really need doing.

How much am I likely to have to pay in labour to have the springs and shocks replaced?
As a general rule a misting of oil is an mot advise and a leak is a fail so it depends how bad it is. As for the springs I’d say about an hour a side, if the front shocks are ok just replace the springs and top bearings whilst they are apart

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:14   #3
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Thanks, Both rear shocks and front nearside were advisories on the MOT for light misting so may be OK to leave it for now, I'll see what a proper garage says as soon as I can find one that seems trustworthy.

I don't have a lot of trust in garages after trying to find one that would replace the thermostat housing on my 1.8 ZS many years ago, they all insisted that my slight coolant leak was the head gasket, same thing happened 6 months later when the inlet manifold gasket was leaking a bit. Fixed both of those myself and have been doing what I can myself since then but not too sure about changing springs. Did the rears on a 75 with the help of a friend back in 2011 but he did most of the work with the spring compressors and I didn't like the look of it.

can anybody recommend a cheaper alternative for springs than rimmers?

Found a few for less but it's never clear if they are in fact the correct springs, some of them when checking the part number show as being for a 75 even though they say they match the correct MG Rover part number (REB000890) One said for 75 with sports suspension but not MG. It's pretty confusing.
Old 12th May 2018, 18:28   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 21:26   #5
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Thanks, already used that list to find the correct part number. :-)

Found some FAI springs for a reasonable price, part number is SP155, as far as I can find, they are supposed to be the equivalent to REB000890.

Anybody have any experience of FAI springs?
Old 13th May 2018, 13:34   #6
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Why not just do the broken spring and see if she sits level. Surely the advice to do in pairs relates to car handling but I've done in the past and if it sits correctly leaving the other to a more convenient time. Happy to stand corrected if anyone can give a reason why it must be done.
Old 13th May 2018, 14:00   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Why not just do the broken spring and see if she sits level. Surely the advice to do in pairs relates to car handling but I've done in the past and if it sits correctly leaving the other to a more convenient time. Happy to stand corrected if anyone can give a reason why it must be done.

I have replaced a single spring many times over the years , on different cars , and never had a problem
Old 13th May 2018, 16:26   #8
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

I have replaced a single spring many times over the years , on different cars , and never had a problem
I though about just changing the broken spring and had the mileage been lower and I known more about the history of the car would maybe have considered it.

Many years ago I had a 2002 VW Golf TDI company car and the nearside front spring snapped at about 18 months old and 90k miles, Main dealer replaced just the broken spring and it completely ruined the handling, two attempts at alignment couldn't get it right so they ended up replacing the other side too which sorted it out so I have been a bit apprehensive since then.

Bought a 75 back in 2011 with a broken rear spring and after replacing just one to get it through it's retest it still handled fine but I replaced the other one a few days later just for piece of mind.

Chris75, I see you are just up the road in Ellesmere Port, you wouldn't happen to know a reputable garage in the area I could take it to?
Old 13th May 2018, 19:59   #9
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
Chris75, I see you are just up the road in Ellesmere Port, you wouldn't happen to know a reputable garage in the area I could take it to?
I really don't know any reputable garages ! However , these people are just outside Chester in Broughton and although I have never used them they look like they ought to know what they are doing with a Rover
http://www.dplautosroverland.co.uk/
Give them a ring and check out the price
Old 13th May 2018, 20:04   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Give Best of British in Darlston a call. They are usually very competitive for Rover struts, springs etc.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote