Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2008, 17:53   #1
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Default Double DIN fascias

It seemed that there must be a better solution than modifying a BMW unit so I have done a little research on this.

Today I took a Rover single din panel and an aftermarket single din panel to an injection moulding company to get an estimation of cost.

The following is based on a fascia for a double DIN unit whereby the cage fits into the fascia and that the finish as per original.

Naturally, the tooling costs are broad but of the order of £5,500 - £8,500.

Looking at an initial run of 200 the actual fascia would be about £3.

Clearly, sale of 100 would mean that, to cover costs the price would be £100 which seems comparable with current BMW ones.

However, sell 200 and they are £50.

Wondering how many would be interested but I am not prepared to bankroll this.

My thoughts were, if 100 were interested then they would each pay £100. Having produced 200 that would mean 100 available to others. They could be sold at £100. The actual cost of these would already have been met by the original 100 and, with the sale of the additional 100 they would get £50 back.

The other options are:
vacuum moulding - cheaper tool costs dearer product due to increased labour to produce each panel and less crisp.
fibreglass as vacuum and perhaps a little more fragile - danger of chipping of the aperture.

Would anyone be interested?
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 17:58   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I already have one of the BMW based resin cast versions but I'd be happy to buy one specifically made for the 75 so count me in as interested for a start.

In my view, injection moulding is the only option that would produce an adequate quality fit and finish.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:07   #3
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstoneboy View Post
It seemed that there must be a better solution than modifying a BMW unit so I have done a little research on this.

Today I took a Rover single din panel and an aftermarket single din panel to an injection moulding company to get an estimation of cost.

The following is based on a fascia for a double DIN unit whereby the cage fits into the fascia and that the finish as per original.
Actually I was thinking about this recently also. I know there is a small number of people on here wanting a double din fascia and I was half thinking of trying to buy 10 or so BMW fascias and modifying them myself for sale to other members. I wasn't thinking of trying to make a profit or anything - just something to pass the long winter evenings and maybe help a few other members out :xmas:.

Yours is an infinitely better idea but (not wishing to pee on your bonfire ) I really doubt that you would get to even the first 100. I am kind of surprised how little interest there is in the double din fascias and HUs as they really suit the car.

Thats just my 2 cents, however, and you may find a phenomenal demand (on eBay etc). There are several hundred thousand potential customers after all.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:12   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Compare it to the number of door finishers..(that was three batches of 50 from memory)....I doubt if you'll get into double figures on here, and I think if you went for ebay, 25 would be a good result.

I admire you for trying (as I did with the boot rivets) but sometimes the volumes are just to great to justify the cost.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:18   #5
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Compare it to the number of door finishers..(that was three batches of 50 from memory)....I doubt if you'll get into double figures on here, and I think if you went for ebay, 25 would be a good result.

I admire you for trying (as I did with the boot rivets) but sometimes the volumes are just to great to justify the cost.
Will admit I thought that numbers could be a problem - but who knows.

There are the single DIN (non Rover/MG for the Rover/MG know what I mean) that are on ebay, admittedly for a lot less money.

There are also those who will pay quite large sums for the Rover sat nav/tv/radio setup.

At the moment there does not seem to be the 'classic car' thing with our cars that only standard / optional parts can be fitted.

With this in mind this opens up the aftermarket double DIN units with no modification with a unit and fascia at far less than a secondhand Rover setup.

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:20   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Paul

It depends how you want to fund it......

If you've got the spare cash to do it then you're in with a fighting chance. If you want the buyers to do it, then you'll wait forever and a day.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:24   #7
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Will admit I thought that numbers could be a problem - but who knows.
Quite.

If you don't try, you won't know

Last edited by Raistlin; 9th December 2008 at 19:29..
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:28   #8
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
There are also those who will pay quite large sums for the Rover sat nav/tv/radio setup.

At the moment there does not seem to be the 'classic car' thing with our cars that only standard / optional parts can be fitted.

With this in mind this opens up the aftermarket double DIN units with no modification with a unit and fascia at far less than a secondhand Rover setup.

Paul
I initially intended to install the OEM sat nav/TV system but I really couldn't justify the large cost and having to rip the car apart. Additionally, the BMW wide screen monitor and MK4 (I think) computer would be needed if you want an up-to-date system and this costs even more.

You can get a good quality, modern double din HU for a fraction of the price and IMHO its a much better option. Each to his own of course :xmas:.

Hope this works out for you if you proceed.

Old 9th December 2008, 19:30   #9
CDTi
This is my second home

Hey

Just noticed Raistlin has 4,000 posts.

Congrats Paul

Old 9th December 2008, 19:41   #10
Raistlin
Banned