Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd November 2016, 16:07   #1
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts
Question Just curious.

If i was a young lad started off in employment and do not have a bank account would i be able to demand being paid in cash. ( human rights ).
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:20   #2
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
If i was a young lad started off in employment and do not have a bank account would i be able to demand being paid in cash. ( human rights ).
I doubt it. Most companies are simply not geared up for that. Increased danger to them RE: wage snatches.

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:26   #3
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

I think if you were demanding anything as a young lad in a new job you would not get past your probation period
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:40   #4
jackatesme
This is my second home

The point i am getting at,is if i was young lad who really didn't want to work could i use this as an excuse to turn down employment,then still claim benefits as it's my human right.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:51   #5
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

But surely if you are claiming benefits, it will be paid into a bank account So what's the difference. If you dont want to work why should the tax payer look after you
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:56   #6
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
The point i am getting at,is if i was young lad who really didn't want to work could i use this as an excuse to turn down employment,then still claim benefits as it's my human right.
You will find that your benefits will be restricted as you have deliberately made yourself unemployable.
another_clean_sheet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:58   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
It can be done -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-e...-take-home-pay

but employers do not like it for employees - for exactly the reasons mentioned above - as soon as you start having large amounts of cash on the premises then the employees are vulnerable to a wages snatch and the employers insurance bill will go through the roof

So most employees have "Conditions of Employment" and these would set out how and when wages/salary are paid. As I understand it the employer dictates how it pays people - if someone demands a payment method outside of the employers normal processes - then I believe the benefits people would NOT see this as a valid reason to give up the job.

The other danger is someone not declaring the money earned and still claiming benefits. The employer would be seen to be part of the scam if this were done - so even where you could get an employer to pay you in cash - they will be reporting this - so a Tax and NIC demand would be coming your way.

Plus - if you are paid with no NIC deductions - you could well be rendering yourself ineligible for some if not all benefits you think you should be due.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:25   #8
jackatesme
This is my second home

I want to make it clear i am not a young lad looking to dodge working,i am 71yr old pensioner. It is just a hyperthetical question.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:43   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The Human Rights Act does not mean that individuals can demand to do whatever they wish. It has specific articles defining the rights covered by the act. I don't think being paid "cash in hand" is one of them!

As DD states, the offer of employment is usually accompanied by terms & conditions. This will include having a "bank account" of some sort if that is how the empoyer has chosen to pay its employees. I suspect an employee would have to demonstate that a particular term was unreasonable in order for it to justify his refusal to accept the offer of employment. In my miew this is unlikely to be successful as it is a method of payment that is widely used and considered resonable.

I am curious as to why a member wuld be curious about such an obscure "hypothetical scenario".
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:21   #10
jackatesme
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The Human Rights Act does not mean that individuals can demand to do whatever they wish. It has specific articles defining the rights covered by the act. I don't think being paid "cash in hand" is one of them!

As DD states, the offer of employment is usually accompanied by terms & conditions. This will include having a "bank account" of some sort if that is how the empoyer has chosen to pay its employees. I suspect an employee would have to demonstate that a particular term was unreasonable in order for it to justify his refusal to accept the offer of employment. In my miew this is unlikely to be successful as it is a method of payment that is widely used and considered resonable.

I am curious as to why a member wuld be curious about such an obscure "hypothetical scenario".
It's because i can remember working all week then collecting my pay on Friday. There was no middle man (banks), who as soon as you open an account offer you a service that you don't really need and charge you for it,then inudinuate you offers of money loans.