Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2010, 17:52   #1
mikemc75
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default Inlet manifold blow-out, 1.8T

On the way in to work this morning, I was accelerating away up hill when the car 'hiccuped' a couple of times, then started making a funny noise. It sounded a bit like the exhaust had fallen off, but at the same time, the throttle was stuck open.

I pulled into a lay-by and turned the engine off, hoping that it would 'reset' itself - no such luck. Every time I started the engine, it revved away flat out, making a throaty roar.

Just to help matters, there was no mobile signal, and I had 2 miles of twisting narrow road used by lorries, and no pavement. Made for an interesting walk home!

My local garage came to collect the car, and towed it back for investigation. He found that a big piece of one of the inlet pipes had blown away!

Have just purchased a second-hand replacement complete inlet manifold assembly from good old flea-bay.

Has anybody else experienced this sort of failure, or can suggest why it happened. I don't know if the 'hiccup' was due to a manifold problem, or if some sort of backfire took out the manifold. For a while now the car has had a slight mis-fire under load. Have replaced plugs and coils, and was just about to get new leads, but am now wondering if it was a manifold leak that was causing it

Also, is there anything I should look out for when having it replaced - anything special about the gasket etc?
mikemc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 19:23   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

inlet manifold gasket,bottle green version available from xpart,much better than the duck egg blue version.

make shore the flat face of the inlet is straight and not warped, you never can tell with ebay purchases.

good luck with the repair.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote