Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2019, 20:18   #21
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Got to say ... the dash in the pic does not look like a quality job imo, the seams are in the wrong places and also looks like it could do with a shade of padding as the seams are protruding above the panel level.
Not something I would consider doing if that was the end result, if it came out like an Aston Martin interior then fair enough ... nice addition.
I agree the finish around the left centre vent is poor, that is the part I previously posted I was not 100% happy with, I disagree that padding would help, as it would then protrude more so. I am confused at your claim " the seams are are in the wrong places" would you explain that please? as it's a one off bespoke albeit poor job, how could the seams be in the wrong places? They are were I chose to place them . Thanks all the same. Lee.
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:06   #22
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Hi Ben,
That looks better than I'd imagined from the eBay pics. Much neater around the centre vents than mine. Did you get around to doing something with the airbag badge area? Lee.
Hi Lee, no I never got around to doing anything else with the leather dash. In fact I've now fitted a genuine walnut dash from a launch car that was being broken.

Some pics of the walnut dash with the black ZT-T interior on this thread:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=231225

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S

Last edited by BigBen; 2nd April 2019 at 16:10..
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:34   #23
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
I agree the finish around the left centre vent is poor, that is the part I previously posted I was not 100% happy with, I disagree that padding would help, as it would then protrude more so. I am confused at your claim " the seams are are in the wrong places" would you explain that please? as it's a one off bespoke albeit poor job, how could the seams be in the wrong places? They are were I chose to place them . Thanks all the same. Lee.
Hi Lee, I was referring to the join that runs right through the middle of the clock and thumb wheel, obviously this occurred through having to 'piece together' separate hides.
The overall concept of a leather dash is very appealing tbh but as I'm a bit of a perfectionist a home fit kit just isn't within my capability and would no doubt end up looking like a dogs dinner!
If I were going to have a kit made and fitted I would only want to see the seams around the edges of panels rather than running through them, but that's just my opinion.
My reply was never intended to offend your workmanship, I guess I have this pre-conceived image of Aston Martin style leather interiors as my benchmark for quality and as I would never in a million years be able to replicate that I wouldn't go ahead with it.
I still stand by the use of just a thin padding behind the leather (in between the seams) just to bring the leather up to the same height as the seams making the overall depth of leather consistent.
But as said by other members ... it's your car, your mod, and your choice and if you're happy with it ... that's all that matters.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 17:54   #24
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Hi Lee, I was referring to the join that runs right through the middle of the clock and thumb wheel, obviously this occurred through having to 'piece together' separate hides.
The overall concept of a leather dash is very appealing tbh but as I'm a bit of a perfectionist a home fit kit just isn't within my capability and would no doubt end up looking like a dogs dinner!
If I were going to have a kit made and fitted I would only want to see the seams around the edges of panels rather than running through them, but that's just my opinion.
My reply was never intended to offend your workmanship, I guess I have this pre-conceived image of Aston Martin style leather interiors as my benchmark for quality and as I would never in a million years be able to replicate that I wouldn't go ahead with it.
I still stand by the use of just a thin padding behind the leather (in between the seams) just to bring the leather up to the same height as the seams making the overall depth of leather consistent.
But as said by other members ... it's your car, your mod, and your choice and if you're happy with it ... that's all that matters.
Hello mate,
Thanks for your reply, I was not offended by your comments in the slightest, I'm my own biggest critic and I asked for opinions, so I can't complain when I get negative but honest ones. I do see your point and If both vents had been as good as the right centre one I'd have been happier but it was a trial attempt and could have been worse I guess.
Mabey attempt 2 will be up to an Aston standard . As for padding I'm not sure I could remove the leather as I used a really good glue, so I think it may tear. Cheers. Lee.
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:13   #25
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Another way of achieving the leather dash is wrapping it in leather effect vinyl.
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:27   #26
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Another way of achieving the leather dash is wrapping it in leather effect vinyl.
Mine would have Probably turned out better using that stuff but I feel there is enough fake leather in my car already hence my sacrificing a perfectly good expensive leather coat
for a mod I'm not happy with . Lee.