Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th March 2019, 08:26   #1
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default And so it starts ...

I have been thinking of late that imo i have had the pleasure of being a motorist during the 'best' decades as far as car design and desirability are concerned. 60's 70's 80's 90's.
I have always thought that at some point the government are going to 'pull the plug' on us UK motorists due to the ever increasing debates and problems with air pollution / congestion etc: and now .... this is the beginning of the end for us.
Pilot tests are now being done to give up your car for an 'up to' £3000 P/A kickback to be used in the form of a debit card or i phone payment to spend on transport to and from work or whatever.
I remember many years ago one of the famous group B rally drivers (Walter Rohrl) predicted this would happen in his lifetime and low and behold ... here it is.
It's only a matter of time Ladies and Gentlemen ( a good few years from now obviously) before we are not allowed to drive our own vehicles anymore, they will be owned and run by the government and we will pay for the privilege being ferried to and from our destinations ( a bit like public transport nowadays really!)
So .... get yer cycle clips out because that's all we are going to be allowed to have.
Rant over .... yours sincerely.
The Minister of Doom!
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 08:33   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Google car was an attempt at that. You just used at app, got in the car and it drove you to your destination. You didn't have to do anything. Feedback was that it was popular, not sure what happened to it, might well be still going.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 09:47   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
I have been thinking of late that imo i have had the pleasure of being a motorist during the 'best' decades as far as car design and desirability are concerned. 60's 70's 80's 90's.
I have always thought that at some point the government are going to 'pull the plug' on us UK motorists due to the ever increasing debates and problems with air pollution / congestion etc: and now .... this is the beginning of the end for us.
Pilot tests are now being done to give up your car for an 'up to' £3000 P/A kickback to be used in the form of a debit card or i phone payment to spend on transport to and from work or whatever.
I remember many years ago one of the famous group B rally drivers (Walter Rohrl) predicted this would happen in his lifetime and low and behold ... here it is.
It's only a matter of time Ladies and Gentlemen ( a good few years from now obviously) before we are not allowed to drive our own vehicles anymore, they will be owned and run by the government and we will pay for the privilege being ferried to and from our destinations ( a bit like public transport nowadays really!)
So .... get yer cycle clips out because that's all we are going to be allowed to have.
Rant over .... yours sincerely.
The Minister of Doom!

I agree, there is a seismic shift on the horizon in transportation & car manufacturing akin to another Dr Beeching report wielding his axe.

The list of local authorities applying for clean air zones & the banning/taxing of older cars on their roads is growing daily,even diesel buses/taxi's will not escape.

It'll be akin to the phasing out of steam trains and will happen sooner rather than later from what I've been reading.

I'd love to get an electric car next but as yet they're far too expensive for me.

The new cars will be equipped with so much technology that even speeding will become a thing of the past. (intelligent speed assistant) will be mandatory on all new cars as early as 2021.

The golden days of motoring on mostly open roads have certainly passed for me, I don't enjoy driving much these days & only use the car when needs must, being retired I pick my time to use the car otherwise everywhere you go is gridlocked

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 17:40   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I really fancy an electric car - especially as I have solar panels so charging the thing would be easy and cheap.

And then I read in the Sunday Times a week or so ago about the Congolese deaths inflicted on the Colbalt miners which occurs directly as a result of our need for electric cars.

We cannot have electric cars without Colbalt - and the Colbalt miners who risk their lives to mine the stuff don’t know what an iPhone is or have any chance of owning any sort of car - let alone an electric one.

The price we get others to pay so we can save our planet....

I’m sure it’s worth it ................
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 17:51   #5
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Its just more and more control-just obey, keep taking the pills, don't drink, don't smoke, no sex on and on it goes and of course its for the best possible reasons- we know best, don't vote just heed this "focus groups" opinions, Oh of course they are representative we selected them! Glad Im old! Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 12:58   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Best answer to avoid illness taxes laws etc? Just cease to exisf. Stop living!
Old 26th March 2019, 13:08   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

This just makes me want to build the nastiest rat rod with a bellowing Diesel engine (tax and mot exempt of course) and take it on a tour past Westminster.
Old 26th March 2019, 15:12   #8
Yeti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT190+, MG ZT-T Diesel

I’m with you Trikey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26th March 2019, 18:24   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Don't be so pessimistic chaps.

Technology may change cars and transport forever, taking away your fun and enjoyment. But it may also create cost-effective replicants to cater for all your needs and desires!

Remember Rachel, Pris and Zhora in Blade Runner?
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 18:31   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
This just makes me want to build the nastiest rat rod with a bellowing Diesel engine (tax and mot exempt of course) and take it on a tour past Westminster.
Something like this Andy:

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote