Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2021, 20:44   #21
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Drove the car today around thirty miles. What an improvement. I didn't realise the front suspension had deteriorated so much. No steering noises on low speed manoeuvres. Slight vibration at 60mph gone. The little bit of shimmy on heavy braking gone. Just a lot smoother with less bounce. Braking feels like it did when I first bought the car (which was one of the things I liked). I think I'm going to have to look at the top mounts and dampers on the Astra Turbo. That's fifteen years old too lol.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 20:50   #22
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A good result, its surprising how different a car feels when the suspension has been refreshed.
Old 5th January 2021, 21:44   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
A good result, its surprising how different a car feels when the suspension has been refreshed.
Indeed, I'm looking forward to driving one with all four springs intact
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 08:20   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I replaced the rear dampers on mine a couple of years ago, the first thing SWMBO said was '' what have you done to the car'' I asked her why thinking she found it to firm but she reckoned it felt much nicer and jiggled less. She did not even know I had done anything to the car.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 22:06   #25
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I replaced the rear dampers on mine a couple of years ago, the first thing SWMBO said was '' what have you done to the car'' I asked her why thinking she found it to firm but she reckoned it felt much nicer and jiggled less. She did not even know I had done anything to the car.
Got me wondering about the rear suspension on mine now lol. I was surprised to note the rear springs look more heavy duty than the front ones. Just assumed the main weight would be where the engine and gearbox reside? Also the rear spring design is quite different with minimal spacing between the upper coils. On my old rear springs there seems to be no gap between the upper coils so most of the compliance must be in the lower more open section?
Also, re-visiting the Rimmer diagram of the front damper, there is apparently an un-labelled/ non-numbered washer between part 4 and part 5. I didn't find this washer on dis-assembly, so hopefully it isn't important or is a misprint?
Old 7th January 2021, 10:00   #26
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Also, re-visiting the Rimmer diagram of the front damper, there is apparently an un-labelled/ non-numbered washer between part 4 and part 5. I didn't find this washer on dis-assembly, so hopefully it isn't important or is a misprint?
There should be two washers, one has a larger hole that the other.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2021, 10:14   #27
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

There are also two versions of rear springs, and until recently Rimmers were still selling the old (suspect) design. Part numbers are: ZTT rear RKB000831, ZT rear RKB000820. In total there have been 6 different springs fitted to the rear, depending on model and version. Additionally, some are fitted with the closer coils at the top and others at the bottom.

As a Two-Sixties member you should really go look over on that Forum for the long thread with pictures about all variants of springing on different MG/Rover 260 models, front and rear, (just search on "Eibach").

Last edited by DeeJ; 7th January 2021 at 10:36..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2021, 10:44   #28
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
... Also, re-visiting the Rimmer diagram of the front damper, there is apparently an un-labelled/ non-numbered washer between part 4 and part 5. I didn't find this washer on dis-assembly, so hopefully it isn't important or is a misprint?
Those washers often get stuck with rust to other components (damper/mount), are then not noticed and get thrown away.

The top dished/domed washer is part number RNS100050 (Washer Damper Rebound), but is generally not a problem with rusting, however the other one, part number RNS100060 (Washer Bump Stop), is prone to corrosion and also risks being thrown away accidentally, or is too far gone to risk re-using.

Both are absolutely essential.

Although not listed or even identified as parts by Rimmer's, they are now both listed by Brown & Gammons:
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/ro...t260-rns100050
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/ge...-r75-rns100060

Last edited by DeeJ; 7th January 2021 at 12:23.. Reason: Part numbers/availability added.
Old 7th January 2021, 13:19   #29
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
Those washers often get stuck with rust to other components (damper/mount), are then not noticed and get thrown away.

The top dished/domed washer is part number RNS100050 (Washer Damper Rebound), but is generally not a problem with rusting, however the other one, part number RNS100060 (Washer Bump Stop), is prone to corrosion and also risks being thrown away accidentally, or is too far gone to risk re-using.

Both are absolutely essential.

Although not listed or even identified as parts by Rimmer's, they are now both listed by Brown & Gammons:
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/ro...t260-rns100050
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/ge...-r75-rns100060
Thanks again Dave for the detail and the link. I found the top and bottom washers you refer to on both sides. The two lower 'bump stop' ones in the wheel arch were a little rusty but OK. The two inside the engine compartment were almost pristine with minor rust in the upward facing 'well'. I refurbed all four anyway and put on three coats of black 'Rustoleum'. I only found two washers each side, but in the Rimmers diagram there is an extra washer (which was definitely not on my car) shown adjacent to the lower bump stop washer on the top of the damper, making three washers per side. I'm wondering if they upgraded the bump stop washer to a single thicker one. Mine seemed heavy duty and good quality with only surface rust on the side facing down towards the axle.
Old 7th January 2021, 14:05   #30
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Thanks again Dave for the detail and the link. I found the top and bottom washers you refer to on both sides. The two lower 'bump stop' ones in the wheel arch were a little rusty but OK. The two inside the engine compartment were almost pristine with minor rust in the upward facing 'well'. I refurbed all four anyway and put on three coats of black 'Rustoleum'. I only found two washers each side, but in the Rimmers diagram there is an extra washer (which was definitely not on my car) shown adjacent to the lower bump stop washer on the top of the damper, making three washers per side. I'm wondering if they upgraded the bump stop washer to a single thicker one. Mine seemed heavy duty and good quality with only surface rust on the side facing down towards the axle.
Yes, I think there is only 1 upper and 1 lower washer each side, at least there was on mine, so the picture is probably a 'Rimmer aberration' or an MGR (EPC) one! If I recall, the FWD cars have 2, which could explain the mistake made in the drawing, or am I dreaming that? Glad for you that its all sorted now anyway. That's the most important thing, apart from making sure others don't accidentally throw the washers away with the scrap bits, of course. Easily done.

David

Last edited by DeeJ; 7th January 2021 at 19:09..