Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2020, 17:39   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default I have a hernia

After some mild discomfort these last few months and then sleepless nights this last week worrying, I had my scan today and was told and all credit to the doctor for guessing overt the phone, I have a hernia.

Have to wait to hear from the doctor as to what happens next. Only mild discomfort, I can do everything so not too bothered.
I may have done it at the beginning of first lockdown moving 8ft concrete posts by myself. I lifted keeping back straight and bending at my legs to try and reduce injury, I thought all had gone well.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 17:55   #2
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
After some mild discomfort these last few months and then sleepless nights this last week worrying, I had my scan today and was told and all credit to the doctor for guessing overt the phone, I have a hernia.

Have to wait to hear from the doctor as to what happens next. Only mild discomfort, I can do everything so not too bothered.
I may have done it at the beginning of first lockdown moving 8ft concrete posts by myself. I lifted keeping back straight and bending at my legs to try and reduce injury, I thought all had gone well.

macafee2
They will have you in and out in a flash,I remember Michael Owen had a hernia op a few years ago,3 days later he played football.

If its a problem they will soon have you in to sort it out.

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 20:10   #3
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Had a double hernia of the crutch when at sea and had a happy couple of weeks in the Dreadnought Seamans Hospital in Gravesend for op and recovery. After the op done laugh! (It hurts).
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 20:11   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

well NHS efficiency, had a ext a little while ago from the doctor to say a hernia and I should phone to discuss. No waiting a week for results and as it was gone 7.30 in the evening someone was working late.

Not worried about the op. I'd be happy to watch, more embarrassing having the ladies
running the scanner down there.

macafee2
Old 30th November 2020, 20:14   #5
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Oh Dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
I got mine in 1990 from a coughing fit, it was four years before I did anything about it. I got the surgery in 1994 and had the mesh and Internal suture, you must ask for internal suture as it leaves a neat line that heals fast and has less pain. I still lift out engines and carry heavy things and I've never had a blip in the area of the surgery. I will tell you one thing, when you get the date for the surgery you should eat soup for the few days before it. After the surgery, eat soup for a week because you won't be able to push down without pain, solid foods make harder work.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 21:17   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Did they tell you what hernia you have Ian, any operation will depend on where it is and how much it effects your daily activities. It maybe a case of watch and wait Ian.

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 10 years ago, thankfully it doesn't give me any problems. They recently thought I had an inguinal hernia, but decided it wasn't, this would have explained my other problem.

As for the embarrassment, don't worry about it. I've bared all many times now, female and male doctors examining my bits. It's when you wake up from an
anesthesia wearing tight netting see through pants, and then you realise the nurses must have put you in them while you were asleep, sort of put's a smile upon one's face.

Last edited by Dallas; 30th November 2020 at 22:01..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 22:18   #7
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Us fellas don't always listen to our lovely ladies do we, sometimes it takes a friend to make someone realise to go and see a GP.

If us men spent the same amount of care looking after ourselves as we do our cars, then I'm sure we could all learn a little.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 22:38   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Did they tell you what hernia you have Ian, any operation will depend on where it is and how much it effects your daily activities. It maybe a case of watch and wait Ian.

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 10 years ago, thankfully it doesn't give me any problems. They recently thought I had an inguinal hernia, but decided it wasn't, this would have explained my other problem.

As for the embarrassment, don't worry about it. I've bared all many times now, female and male doctors examining my bits. It's when you wake up from an
anesthesia wearing tight netting see through pants, and then you realise the nurses must have put you in them while you were asleep, sort of put's a smile upon one's face.

Wes, no they did not say what type.
We are blokes, when a woman gets her hands on our bits we should be delighted but how come when it is a doctor or nurse we become embarrassed? I cant get away from them quick enough.

macafee2
Old 30th November 2020, 22:49   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I hope so Clive, us guys should always lookout for one another, this club is so much more than just a car club.

Us fellas don't always listen to our lovely ladies do we, sometimes it takes a friend to make someone realise to go and see a GP.

If us men spent the same amount of care looking after ourselves as we do our cars, then I'm sure we could all learn a little.
I would not want to worry my wife so I avoid telling her.
I had chest pains a year or two ago and a heart attack a few years earlier.
Last year or the year before I just told my wife I would be late home from work and took myself to A&E. Told them chest pains and I'd had a heart attack previously and went to top of the list. Was not a heart attack so home I went. May be in 15 or 20 years I can relax about dying first and leaving my wife but now, she would be so upset and it could be a long time alone if she did not find anyone else, I would not want her to face that sorrow.

The more we talk about things the more we find we are not alone and that can be comforting if it is a worry. A problem shared and all that.
We may think it is different for others but it is not, others have the same fears.

macafee2
Old 1st December 2020, 07:56   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Hernia opps are often done in day surgery. I had one done 5 years ago. I had to be at the hospital by 8am. The hospital is a 45 min drive from the house. I was the first on the list. Once back from the theatre I was told I had to eat, drink and pea and then I could go home. I was home by 10.30am .

You will feel a bit sore for a couple of days but I was back at work in 5 days on lite duties.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote