Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2018, 16:53   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Guide on replacing fuel filter on v6? And what is the orange clip issue?

Is there a guide on how to replace the fuel filter on a v6? I know the filter is located under the rear seat on the passenger side and can be accessed via the access panel, but is it easy to do?

Also what is the orange clip issue on the v6? What problems does it cause and how is it resolved?

My v6 is still juddering badly now and again when pulling away from a stand still and also does it sometimes when I put my foot down whilst on the move. And sometimes if I take my foot off the accelerator it'll cut out at low speeds. Most times it restarts straight away unless "EP" shows up on the dash in which case it won't restart unless I disconnect the battery for a second. When it does start juddering, it feels as if the engine is cutting out and then immediately restarting, when the juddering happens the revs often drop right down to 0 (i.e. engine switched off) and then back up again constantly.

Strangely, at the end of last week I gave it a good thrashing driving it hard, and since then the issue is not so frequent, but it is still doing it now and again, and seems like it does it more when the engine is hot.

From the symptoms it feels like a blockage in the fuel system somewhere, as it feels very similar to when we had fuel issues with our TF which was caused by a bad fuel filter which was in need of replacement.

I've ruled out a gearbox issue for now as the car sometimes cuts out when it isn't even in gear. I'm not getting any fault codes apart from one relating to the immobiliser below.

- P1666 - Engine anti theft signal circuit malfunction (immobiliser issue?)

The car had been stood unused for 8 years so I'm wondering if there is an issue with the fuel filter after having such old fuel in the car.

So is there any guidance available on how to change the fuel filter, and also anyone have a link to the correct fuel filter for the v6? As not many places seem to supply it. Is this the correct filter? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...sid=m570.l1313

Very pricey for a filter.

Also does anyone have any guides on the orange clip issue just so I can check that as well?

Cheers,
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 17:01   #2
Rob65
Regular poster

75 connoisseur se

Default Orange clip

Rick, the orange clip can be purchased from ebay, it helps prevent fuel filter separation( prevents the 2 parts of the fuel filter housing from separating) Its a bit fiddly to replace, but if you have 3 hands it it easier ! Hardest part is fitting the new o ring, whilst holding the fuel filter housing. Cost of orange clip, & o ring approx £15 ish
Rob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 17:05   #3
Rob65
Regular poster

75 connoisseur se

Default Ebay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-...gAAOSwPcVVkEbD
Rob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 17:10   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...43&postcount=3
And in the "How To" section https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

Last edited by suzublu; 7th August 2018 at 17:12..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 17:21   #5
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Im no mechanic but because you mentioned the car standing and old fuel perhaps the injectors are partially blocked. Have you tried injector or fuel system cleaner ? My local garage uses Wyns so thats what iv be buying for the last few years. You could try that first because its cheaper and easier to do and it wont be money wasted if that doesnt sort out the problem .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 18:52   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Note that the orange clip issue does not apply to earlier cars ie approx. 2001 and before , due to the different casings
See https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ht=orange+clip

Last edited by chris75; 7th August 2018 at 18:55..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 14:00   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

thanks all have ordered a new fuel filter and the orange clip. Thanks for the links to the items I need and also the links

the 75 I have is a 53 plate so a later one. I don't think it's an injector issue, it feels as though there's not enough fuel getting to the engine at times. Our TF felt the same when it was in desperate need of a new fuel filter.

It's had fuel system cleaner put through it already anyway, and it's been running on fresh fuel for the last 2 years I've had it and the fuel was very low when i first collected the car so didn't have much old fuel in it at all.

Strangely not getting any relevant fault codes either.
Old 23rd August 2018, 00:51   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I've a similar issue that struck without warning Monday. Trikey spotted the tell tale symptoms I described and put me right, ordered my repair kit Tuesday, should arrive in the morning post which is good service.
Anyone else in the same fix - the orange clip is actually white (now) and not OEM which is NLA.
You might be interested to know that a friend ran a quick diagnostic this morning - no error codes stored but he was able to confirm that the pump relay was working normally; don't know if T4 would show anything different?.
Now I'll smell of petrol for a week once I've sorted it.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:03   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Glad to hear it worked for you John

Unfortunately in my case changing the fuel filter and fitting the orange (now white) clip didn't solve the issue. I didn't think it would after taking the filter housing out and seeing that it was fully closed tight.
Old 21st May 2019, 10:47   #10
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

About to investigate the "orange clip", a possible reason why it won't start, but read that the fuel filter uscrewing problem relates to later cars only. Mine is a 2001 KV6 so might this still be the problem on a car this date or will I be stripping out the filter unnecessarily?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote