Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2019, 21:27   #31
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 13,455
Thanks: 652
Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
Tonight had the first sign of where the coolant is going.
Was running the car on tick over to get up to temp.
got to 101c and fan kicked in but no sign of the coolant leek.
Went down to around 85c then started to rise slowly back up.
When it got back up to 100c again fan kicked in but this time coollant came out of the filler cap.
Temp droped back down to below 90c .Took off the cap and waited for the temp to rise again.As it got up to 100c we seen the coolant rise spill out and drop down again.
This only did this the once. we put the cap back on and did the same again.
This time got to 100c fan kicked in then temp dropped to below 90c but no coolant came out.

thanks
steve

Hi Steve.
PM me your full name & address & I will pop two Viton coolant cap O-rings in the post for you tomorrow (FOC) add them to your cap and do the test again.
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2019 meet dates
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html
" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 21:42   #32
vitesse
Gets stuck in
 
Rover 75 Saloon Auto Conn

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gävle, Sweden
Posts: 833
Thanks: 79
Thanked 200 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Hope that the new rings help but noticed that the temperature you quote is low 85c, mine is steady on 95/96, similar to Simon's - I monitor it quite regularly with Torque Pro on my Android unit. Suggest to me that your thermostat isn't operating at a optimum temperature or correctly.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 21:53   #33
Steve42
I really should get out more.......
 
Steve42's Avatar
 
Rover 75 v6 2.5 con se

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bedworth
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 187
Thanked 344 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Thanks for the offer.
Have a new cap on it's way due anytime now.
I hope that sorts it.
This problem been going on for months now. But there has never been any sign of coolant in or around the engine till tonight. So in a way it's a step forward.
I was even going to do the thermostat tomorrow just to see if that was faulty.
Thanks again for the offer your a star

Thanks
Steve
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 22:04   #34
Steve42
I really should get out more.......
 
Steve42's Avatar
 
Rover 75 v6 2.5 con se

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bedworth
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 187
Thanked 344 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Hope that the new rings help but noticed that the temperature you quote is low 85c, mine is steady on 95/96, similar to Simon's - I monitor it quite regularly with Torque Pro on my Android unit. Suggest to me that your thermostat isn't operating at a optimum temperature or correctly.

Regards
Hi ,
I have a digital temp gauge that gets the temp from the management system same as the obd so i have a eye on it all the time. The old girl has always ran at 93c till now. Can be anywhere from 85 to 88 . In standing traffic up to 100 to 101c but fan kicks in ok then it drops to between 93 to 95 .
Have got a new thermostat and temp sender unit so tomorrow will hopefully get to change them.

Thanks
Steve
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 22:26   #35
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model. Rover 3500 Vanden Plas (1984).

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 16,117
Thanks: 856
Thanked 2,554 Times in 2,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
I have a digital temp gauge that gets the temp from the management system same as the obd ... Can be anywhere from 85 to 88 .
Steve; as Vitesse says, that's suspicious data. It would suggest that the thermostat is unreliable which is unusual. In any case, that would not cause coolant loss so I would advise against replacing the thermostat and the sensor. Just fit your new cap and see what difference that makes and take it from there.

What I would recommend is that you verify the readings given by your digital gauge by activating the instrument pack diagnostics and comparing the two.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 22:31   #36
clf
This is my second home
 
clf's Avatar
 
MG ZT CDTi

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: carrick
Posts: 6,134
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
Tonight had the first sign of where the coolant is going.
Was running the car on tick over to get up to temp.
got to 101c and fan kicked in but no sign of the coolant leek.
Went down to around 85c then started to rise slowly back up.
When it got back up to 100c again fan kicked in but this time coollant came out of the filler cap.
Temp droped back down to below 90c .Took off the cap and waited for the temp to rise again.As it got up to 100c we seen the coolant rise spill out and drop down again.
This only did this the once. we put the cap back on and did the same again.
This time got to 100c fan kicked in then temp dropped to below 90c but no coolant came out.

thanks
steve
was it screwed down tight enough previously? I didnt think about this until one monday evening, walking by the car after coming home from work. I could smell that dreaded distinct hot coolant smell. I had checked the coolant the day before, but noticed how tight I could tighten the cap. I felt it was too tight, so relaxed it ever so slightly. It was enough to cause coolant to spit out. Not a lot, but over time I am sure it would become noticeable. Tightened it up tight again, and no issues. I replaced the cap anyway.
__________________


It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 23:06   #37
Steve42
I really should get out more.......
 
Steve42's Avatar
 
Rover 75 v6 2.5 con se

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bedworth
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 187
Thanked 344 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Steve; as Vitesse says, that's suspicious data. It would suggest that the thermostat is unreliable which is unusual. In any case, that would not cause coolant loss so I would advise against replacing the thermostat and the sensor. Just fit your new cap and see what difference that makes and take it from there.

What I would recommend is that you verify the readings given by your digital gauge by activating the instrument pack diagnostics and comparing the two.

Simon

To be honest not compared the two readings although mine should read the same as it comes from the same source

Thanks
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd