Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2019, 08:38   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Rough Roads

I've just got back from a break in Corfu (almost literally!). Austerity seems to have hit them very hard, with most publicly owned roads and buildings looking very tired. Potholes on potholes, tarmac roads repaired with concrete just dumped in the holes and run over, leaving massive ruts etc. Many of the traffic lights were broken or obscured by overgrown trees as were roadsigns. My hire car had 96k on it and was covered in dinks and scratches but ran very well. It was an absolute pleasure to get back into the Rover yesterday and enjoy driving once more.

Our coach to the airport was late on arrival, having replaced the actual coach, which had been involved in an accident with a young motorcyclist (who sadly lost his life RIP) seemingly on his phone, no crash helmet or protection worn.

A sad end to a lovely holiday.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:24   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I've just got back from a break in Corfu (almost literally!). Austerity seems to have hit them very hard, with most publicly owned roads and buildings looking very tired. Potholes on potholes, tarmac roads repaired with concrete just dumped in the holes and run over, leaving massive ruts etc. Many of the traffic lights were broken or obscured by overgrown trees as were roadsigns. My hire car had 96k on it and was covered in dinks and scratches but ran very well. It was an absolute pleasure to get back into the Rover yesterday and enjoy driving once more.

Our coach to the airport was late on arrival, having replaced the actual coach, which had been involved in an accident with a young motorcyclist (who sadly lost his life RIP) seemingly on his phone, no crash helmet or protection worn.

A sad end to a lovely holiday.
I only went to Corfu once, that was in 1994. It was my first time abroad,I went with 3 other mates, whose idea of holiday, was lie on the beach all day and drink all night. The roads were rough back then, the taxi from the airport to the resort was “interesting”, the driver drove like a bat out of hell. There were loads of youngsters driving around on scooters without protection then too, sounds like nothing much has changed.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:42   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

We were in Corfu a month ago, we also had a hire car but we must have been lucky because the one we had only had 55k on the clock and the only dents were on one wheel arch. They seemed more bothered that I put the same amount of petrol in it when it was returned than the condition of the bodywork.

So sad to here about the death but the way they ride motorcycles I suspect it is quite common, we also noticed the lack of helmets and using mobiles while riding. It is hard enough doing this in a car let alone a motor bike. We noticed that a family were using a scooter as a car, rider, wife and two small children between the riders legs stood on the footplate.

What amazed me was to see British registered cars over there and they were newish and expensive models like Mercs and BMW's.

The Hotel we stayed in were worried about the economic future as 50% of there clients were Thomas Cook.

This was my first visit to Corfu and I feel I will probably return, the people were friendly and I didn't feel we were being ripped off at every opportunity as is so often the case when visiting a foreign country.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 18:28   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

The Hotel we stayed in were worried about the economic future as 50% of there clients were Thomas Cook.

This was my first visit to Corfu and I feel I will probably return, the people were friendly and I didn't feel we were being ripped off at every opportunity as is so often the case when visiting a foreign country.
They have had it tough for a number of years and despite all the problems, they remain honest, hard working and generous. I always try to use local businesses when I can as many businesses have been swallowed up by large European banking companies who lent money, demanded it back after increasing interest rates, then swept up for themselves.

We called in at a local Kafeneon for a couple of lemonades after a long walk. We were warmly welcomed, given "extras" alongside our drinks and charged a third of what we were paying at the hotel. I left what we were paying at the hotel and they chased after us with change! The "tip" was very much appreciated and we were given some fresh fruit to take away. We went back of course and they really appreciated our custom. Lovely place, lovely people, obviously struggling financially but so welcoming and friendly.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:08   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

SWMBO Has been to Corfu a couple of times but I haven’t - but together we have been to Crete and Rhodes - and we can confirm that we have also experienced the wonderful hospitality of the Greek people.

On Crete we once stayed a little way out of Agios Nikolaos and got a taxi into town - I only had large denomination notes that the driver could not change so he let us off the fair saying he was driving into Ag Nic anyway.

Later, by chance we found him having a coffee and now we had change we went over to pay him what we owed. He refused at first and when we gently insisted he responded by using the money to buy us drinks!

Great people

Sad to see this wonderful country and it’s people having such a difficult time.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote