Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2021, 05:47   #61
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

I did not specify what grade of High Tensile steel as I am unsure if it matters as the week point on this set up will be the Metal the subframe itself. the yield strength of the subframe will be less than 250MPa while the tensile strength of the subframe will be less than 400 MPa this being the case then surely as long as the fastener has strengths above that of the steel then it will be alright to be used in this application. A support structure is only as strong as its weakest part. Please feel free to correct me as it is over 50 years since I dealt with these kinds of equations. The worst one I had ever was calculating the Yield strength of the holding tank for the CO2 in a gas cooled reactor. We all skip steps when performing quadratic equations and trying to make sure that you have every step recorded is a nightmare.
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 09:01   #62
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I did not specify what grade of High Tensile steel as I am unsure if it matters as the week point on this set up will be the Metal the subframe itself. the yield strength of the subframe will be less than 250MPa while the tensile strength of the subframe will be less than 400 MPa this being the case then surely as long as the fastener has strengths above that of the steel then it will be alright to be used in this application. A support structure is only as strong as its weakest part. Please feel free to correct me as it is over 50 years since I dealt with these kinds of equations. The worst one I had ever was calculating the Yield strength of the holding tank for the CO2 in a gas cooled reactor. We all skip steps when performing quadratic equations and trying to make sure that you have every step recorded is a nightmare.
Alan

I tend to agree, being an avid scrap yard parts gatherer over the years and seen accident damaged cars in my sons garage with similar set ups to the upper and lower arm inner mounts, i.e. a rubber bush on a steel support tube clamped, by the nut and bolt between two faces of a box section, in most instances, the bolt may at worst be slightly bent whilst all around it is crumpled and twisted.

If the nut gets very hot and then cools down it will become soft, the result of this is the nut will strip before the bolt reaches the required torque.

True, however that would only arise if there was a continual weld around the nut, if I have to weld a captive nut, I do as in the many captive nuts fitted by car manufacturers which is, depending on size and application, two spots on opposing sides or four 90deg apart.

I prefer Tig, (DCEN) where I can get in, it's more precise, and with the correct post flow produces a nice clean, uncontaminated weld.
Old 20th May 2021, 22:29   #63
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

The arm to subframe bolts should be grade 10.9, and therefore the nuts should be grade 10.

You will put an 8.8 past yield if you torque it to the factory spec - a very dangerous situation to be in.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2021, 17:15   #64
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
I'll see if I can get XPart's restocking date for you
Hello Matt.

Just wondered if you'd had any joy sourcing KYH100330 rear subframe captive nuts at all?

Ta.

Ben.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 20:27   #65
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Found these today at the back of one of the draws in the shed well pleased

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/