Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd June 2015, 18:53   #11
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

My understanding is that last year "ownership" of the organisation changed last year - as a consequence things were quite muddled. I'm guessing the new organisers are taking a different tack ... no reply as yet to our (multiple) missives to them ...

By the looks of things they might be shooting themselves in the foot!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:01   #12
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Stunned is rather an understatement.......

There was talk about them moving the event into a larger hall this year....
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:02   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Might not bother going this year then if we aren't going to get a stand,its one of the high points of the show for me,visiting the club stand and catching up the team.
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:06   #14
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Angry

This is a mighty big blow to the club after all the work they put into the show making it a great success
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:06   #15
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Well I got a reply ...

Dear Christopher

I’m really sorry but this year as we received nearly 300 applications from the classic car club movement, it has been necessary to review the selection criteria used to reduce these to a number that can be accommodated within the show. This was undertaken with Clarion’s senior management and one of the decisions taken was to uphold the ‘Classic’ 20 year + age limit.

In previous years the age limit was not strictly enforced which is why we have been very happy to welcome your club for 4 years.

You are not alone, I have refused 30 clubs that were with us last year. It is important to keep the event fresh for visitors so we always aim to have a level of ‘churn’ so we can accept a selection of new clubs each year. I just wish there was enough room to include all clubs that would like to exhibit at CMS every year.

That said, we review the selection criteria each year, so please don’t take this ‘year out’ to imply that the event does not appreciate your club’s value and be assured that we would be happy to consider your application again in 2016.

Kind regards

Not much I can say ... I think they may have made a big mistake here with so many cuts ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:10   #16
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

To be honest, I find the NEC too expensive for most of the shows that I have visited. The last time that we went to a show there, it cost us an arm and a leg. I've been "hopping" mad with them ever since!
Mike
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:26   #17
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I'm still waiting for my reply from Alison. So just who are these other classic car clubs I wonder that are getting the space instead? If they are just additional stands showing the same type of cars as are there already just because they meet the age criteria, one may find a room full of the same few cars just owned by different regional groups or clubs, and thus a lack of variety.

Also does that mean that the MG Car Club or MG Owners Club who will have a stand by default because of the age criteria, will be banned from showing ZR, ZS and ZTs now too?

A very sorry state of affairs, and the show will be the poorer for it IMHO
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:29   #18
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I think it is a real shame the club is not being accepted by the organisers at the NEC this year. I probably would never of bought my 75 if I had not visited the club stand at the NEC in 2012. Only by visiting the club stand did I realise what fantastic cars our 75's and ZT's are and what a great club we are members of. It is disappointing the organisers could not take on additional halls for all car clubs to display their cars.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:33   #19
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Well I got a reply ...

Dear Christopher

I’m really sorry but this year as we received nearly 300 applications from the classic car club movement, it has been necessary to review the selection criteria used to reduce these to a number that can be accommodated within the show. This was undertaken with Clarion’s senior management and one of the decisions taken was to uphold the ‘Classic’ 20 year + age limit.

In previous years the age limit was not strictly enforced which is why we have been very happy to welcome your club for 4 years.

You are not alone, I have refused 30 clubs that were with us last year. It is important to keep the event fresh for visitors so we always aim to have a level of ‘churn’ so we can accept a selection of new clubs each year. I just wish there was enough room to include all clubs that would like to exhibit at CMS every year.

That said, we review the selection criteria each year, so please don’t take this ‘year out’ to imply that the event does not appreciate your club’s value and be assured that we would be happy to consider your application again in 2016.

Kind regards

Not much I can say ... I think they may have made a big mistake here with so many cuts ...

I don't suppose that there is an alternative show that comes anywhere near the NEC show in terms of attendance etc that the club could relocate to is there Chrstopher.
Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:01   #20
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Really sorry to hear this. Like others, I've always enjoyed visiting the club stand whilst at the NEC, as well as watching the subsequent video from Jimbo - a real shame. As has already been said, the show will be less interesting without a smattering of future classics to offset the 'oldies'.

In any event, many thanks to all the team for all your efforts, both past and present.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote