Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2015, 21:41   #1
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default France/Spain

Has anyone drove their Diesel 75/MG down through France and Spain, if so how did you find it, was it a relatively easy journey in respect of 'tolls' etc...I have done the drive in a Coach, where tolls are all paid by card, and fuel is on a company account ...... but never in my own car.

We are looking at Driving down Newcastle upon Tyne to Dover then down to Tossa de Mar,

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 22:08   #2
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Getting across the channel looks like the most challenging part of the journey and I would be looking for some other route both outward and home as I can't see the problems in Calais being fixed anytime soon.

We have driven down to France and Spain in the past (though thankfully not in a diesel!) without any problems. The tolls are expensive and suspect you can find the current charges by asking Mr Google for help.
Old 7th July 2015, 22:21   #3
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Done it loads of times. It take us about 3 days to get to Spain. We travel down to Canterbury or Margate and stay in a Travelodge. Next day catch an early ferry around 6am and sail to Calais before hitting the toll roads. The diesel is cheaper over there and the Rover just eats the miles on those long smooth roads especially if you have cruise control fitted. Haven't done it this year, but we're talking about planning to drive to the south of France again or through Annecy and onto the Italian Lakes for next year as the car is a great companion for a continental road trip.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 22:28   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

No Keith, but having driven to Paris a couple of times (and through Paris and around the Arc De Triomphe ) in my old tourer, and around France and Belgium in Chris's diesel, I can say it's nice and relaxing, apart from the Arc De Triomphe part

I would say, enjoy yourself, if you can drive a coach on these sort of trips, the 75 will feel like a racing car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 07:28   #5
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Route planner with Toll costs

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Paying tolls by card

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/suppo...-Faq.List/#1.0.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 08:45   #6
Tin Tent
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Smile

Done trip three times towing a caravan with my diesel tourer just south of Baecelona great roads, tolls cost us about £90 each way in 2010 paying the higher tariff well worth it.
Tin Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 08:51   #7
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I go every year to France/ Spain/ Italy - in the 75 and in the MGF. Toll roads are "boring" but they are quick and in France are very efficient. I am a bit wary this year of Calais/ Dunkirk due to all the issues that are happening right now - I'm looking at Le Havre but I may have my dog with me this year which may narrow down the choice of crossings I use.

I really enjoy my Europe trips, seeing new places and just forgetting the day-to-day "work" related stress!! Our cars really do eat up the miles.

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 14:58   #8
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Use promocode EPFREEZE1 when booking ferry return just under £60
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 22:54   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don't know if the Chunnel still do it but you can get the toll card for free from them if you go by Chunnel. There is normally a charge of around £10.00, I think, but you do not pay it. The toll card is a good idea because you can drive straight through at the booths without stopping. You only pay for the amount of time you use your pass, I.e. If you use your pass in the month of July, you only pay for that month, not the full year.,but you still pay the same price as everyone else, no discount.
Old 8th July 2015, 23:02   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I love France because there is no "rat race" going on when you are driving, and long distances can be accomplished very quick and easy.If you wish to take a little longer, take the main roads, marked by the letter N. Best of all is the fact that being of a larger size than GB with only around the same population, there are very rarely any traffic jams anywhere other than around Paris. Went to Italy in 2006 and fell in love with the country, and still keep in touch with people we met out there. Might try and get back there next year.