Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th January 2016, 10:52   #11
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

I got one of these-
Bosch S5 Car Battery Type 096 With 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty ( item: 230990151109 )

Paid on 28-Feb-14 £82.39 Free Click & Collect 1 £82.39
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 11:33   #12
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Does the strap clamp fit with a type 100? Seems the battery would fit over where the bolt should go.
I can answer that by just looking at the photo of a 100 in my battery compartment. There are actually two places whereby you can screw in the strap retainer. With the 100 it is in the widest hole setting, there is one further in so as to fit a slightly smaller battery.
Irrespective of battery capacity the 100 is the perfect dimension parameter.

And a question for SD1too, (Simon?) is it incorrect to fit such a large capacity battery that is over-rated for the alternators charging capacity? With either a resultant failure of the alternator or inadequate charging of the battery?

It's just in the depths of my memory I was once informed this....
Thanks.

Last edited by MangoMan; 16th January 2016 at 12:33.. Reason: Name spelling
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 12:36   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
And a question for sd100, (Simon?) is it incorrect to fit such a large capacity battery that is over-rated for the alternators charging capacity?
In that situation Bill, the alternator will take longer to recharge the battery, that's all. But remember that this is quite normal since the amount of generated electricity available to recharge the battery depends upon the vehicle's current demands, the reserve still available in the battery and the length of time that the alternator is charging, and these parameters are constantly variable.

I'd challenge you to find an alternator with a maximum output lower than the battery's capacity (in Ah).
Quote:
... With either a resultant failure of the alternator or inadequate charging of the battery?
The alternator won't fail, and most batteries are inadequately charged anyway particularly at this time of year.

Ask your informant to explain how an external battery charger, with an output of say 5 amps, can be used successfully.

Simon
Old 16th January 2016, 13:10   #14
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Loving this battery thread, helps members make an informed choice. I'm still bemused as to why my Yuasa is virtually double the weight of it's predecessor, a Cromptom. I think the Yuasa is a calcium gel? (TBC) but they're both classed as 'lead acid'
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:23   #15
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
In that situation Bill, the alternator will take longer to recharge the battery, that's all. But remember that this is quite normal since the amount of generated electricity available to recharge the battery depends upon the vehicle's current demands, the reserve still available in the battery and the length of time that the alternator is charging, and these parameters are constantly variable.

I'd challenge you to find an alternator with a maximum output lower than the battery's capacity (in Ah).

The alternator won't fail, and most batteries are inadequately charged anyway particularly at this time of year.

Ask your informant to explain how an external battery charger, with an output of say 5 amps, can be used successfully.

Simon
Thanks Simon.

As I say, it was a very long time ago now from when we were living in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, so this might have even been referring to Dynamo's, (not the magician either..lol). So I'm afraid I cannot ask my informant as he passed away some time ago now. Sorry.

Actually most of the cars we had back then still charged with Dynamo's along with those big Voltage Regulator boxes with the coils and points inside...

I remember the worst car I had as far as that was concerned was an old VW Karmann Ghia which actually ran on a 6 Volt system - what a pain considering it actually had a Twin Carb 1500 Engine that in winter, (yes, it does get cold there in winter, well below freezing sometimes!) would never start so we fitted a 12 Volt Battery and tapped off 8 Volts. These were the old Lead/Acid Batteries with the Poles running across the top, so easily done.

Didn't have to change anything and it ran perfectly - and also started!!!

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation on my other matter.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:38   #16
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
I can answer that by just looking at the photo of a 100 in my battery compartment. There are actually two places whereby you can screw in the strap retainer. With the 100 it is in the widest hole setting, there is one further in so as to fit a slightly smaller battery.
Irrespective of battery capacity the 100 is the perfect dimension parameter.

And a question for SD1too, (Simon?) is it incorrect to fit such a large capacity battery that is over-rated for the alternators charging capacity? With either a resultant failure of the alternator or inadequate charging of the battery?

It's just in the depths of my memory I was once informed this....
Thanks.
Never noticed a second hole. Must go for a look.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:45   #17
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Quote:
Never noticed a second hole. Must go for a look.
There was on mine, (2001) although I have to say I obviously never tried to screw in the retaining bolt into it, but there was a hole the of the same dimensions. So I just took it for granted as I have seen smaller batteries, (about an inch or so shorter in length) fitted with it being held down by the strap.
So if it is not a threaded hole I do apologise in advance.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:55   #18
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
There was on mine, (2001) although I have to say I obviously never tried to screw in the retaining bolt into it, but there was a hole the of the same dimensions. So I just took it for granted as I have seen smaller batteries, (about an inch or so shorter in length) fitted with it being held down by the strap.
So if it is not a threaded hole I do apologise in advance.
Am I in the wrong hole again?

This is the clamp in place for the 096varta battery, and it doesnt look like it will go much further over. Few mil at the most before the clamp would be up to the side of the box
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:48   #19
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Quote:
Am I in the wrong hole again?

This is the clamp in place for the 096varta battery, and it doesnt look like it will go much further over. Few mil at the most before the clamp would be up to the side of the box
Hello David.

I have managed to find a good photo of a Battery Box.
The flat plate, which is attached the the body of the car, with the Strap attached is fitted below, or underneath the actual Box itself, this is what the Retaining Bolt screws into, as seen on the right - it has 2 positions.

One thing you have to be sure of is that the opposite side of the Battery, that has a lip on the bottom, is slotted into the recess fully, and not resting on top either, (easily done - I've done this myself) or the hole will not line up correctly on the other side.

I hope this helps....

Old 16th January 2016, 15:02   #20
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I've got a Varta battery on mine, I've had it on trickle charge for about 4 hours as it's not done very much mileage this winter.

I think I'll go down to Lidl and get one of those maintenance chargers as my old trickle/boost charger is huge.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 16th January 2016 at 15:16..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote