Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2016, 08:25   #11
mac61
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Default Winter Tyre Test Video

Check out this AutoExpress tyre test video.

I would never use anything other than winter tyres, excellent in the wet and cold days that we have here in the UK.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...rip-test-video

And from Continental, UK drivers are six times more likely to have an accident during the winter months, with the numbers rising further when snow and ice add an extra hazard. With this in mind Mercedes-Benz World and partner in excellence Continental provided a free driving experience in two cars through a slalom on a simulated icy track. One fitted with Continental summer tyres and the other with Continental winter tyres, providing first-hand experience with the notable difference in stopping distance.

Last year Continental successfully offered over three hundred motorists winter tests and the responses were unanimous, demonstrating a clear difference between summer and winter tyres when temperatures drop below +7 degrees centigrade. Prior to experiencing the tests 82% of those that took part had never experienced winter tyres. Following the free demonstrations 98% said that the Continental winter tyres exceeded their expectations and proved a valuable exercise. Nine out of ten motorists went on to say that they were now very keen to switch to winter tyres for the colder part of the year. For our video on the free winter tests please check out this link.

There remains a huge lack of awareness in the UK about winter tyres. Some research conducted by Continental identified that nearly half (47 per cent) of motorists are unaware that winter tyres even exist.

Any time the temperature dips below +7 degrees centigrade you’re better off on winter tyres. This is because unlike summer tyres (everyday tyres), winter tyres do not harden at lower temperatures. That means they give you a much better grip on the road and the ability to stop in a shorter distance, increasing your safety whilst driving.
mac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 08:41   #12
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Seems they're quite popular north of Bristol, shan't be getting any for 3 days use maybe down here.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 08:56   #13
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
The wheels look pretty good. Never got my head around winter tyres, if the road surface is slippery, take care, if it's thick with snow, don't go out I know the compound and tread pattern is such that they provide more grip in just cold conditions but are they worth the money? I don't think we get the extremes of weather for long enough periods to use them.
I know exactly what you mean.
I too would never get benefit from winter tyres so wouldn't consider them.
I make a point these days of not travelling distance in winter anyway and I would not go out in snow, that's when we see any. Not much falls around here with any significance.

To those in colder hillier climes I'm sure they are worth considering but unless you have a garage or large shed they are a pain to store.

Chains or snow socks are a cheaper alternative for snow and can be kept in the boot over winter. When it's not snowing just drive carefully.

Edit: I have driven for over 50 years without incident and lived most of that time in the Yorkshire Pennines. I have never used winter tyres.

Last edited by aguy; 21st January 2016 at 09:00..
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 09:00   #14
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

In my experience, even if temperatures are low, as long as the road surface is dry you will always get better grip from summer rather than winter tyres despite what some manufactures might say. But just wait until you get some wet snow, then your summer tyres will be all but useless.

I use the term wet snow to describe the slushy, snowball friendly stuff that UK generally has when temperatures are around zero to minus five.

But what these tyre companies tend to forget is that the UK weather can change from one day to the next, and no-one is going to change tyres several times a week. Your winter tyres on a +10c day will probably give you an increased braking distance of about 15% in dry conditions/20% in the wet.

We up here in Sweden don’t have any choice - basically it’s illegal to drive in winter conditions with summer tyres.

You’ll be pleased to know that your Avons (oldcarguy) are on the approved list of tyres which meet Swedish specs so you’ll be fine with those if they’re ever needed.

Regards

Last edited by vitesse; 21st January 2016 at 09:02.. Reason: added name
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 09:07   #15
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

I'm a big fan of winter tyres! They're a fantastic addition to any car, and drastically increase your ability to get around, when there are adverse conditions. I ran on four seasons tyres for a long time, and they are marvellous, particularly if you live in a rural area. Where I am, the roads are often covered in mud, and are very slippery, which combined with a lot of rain, can make conditions quite hazardous! The four seasons tyres were amazing in heavy rain, yet in winter, I never saw them beaten. I liked them so much, I got them again.

On my Subaru, I just have Goodyear Eagle F1s, which are a summer tyre. Thankfully, the AWD is amazing, and can work around the weather, but, stopping is much easier on winter tyres. I shall certainly get a second set of wheels (likely a 75 set) with winters, for next winter.

I'd suggest four seasons tyres to anyone who doesn't want the hassle of changing from summers to winters, but still likes to be able to drive around in poor weather.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:29   #16
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Not this again...

For 99.9999999% of the people in the UK, in 99.9999% of the weather conditions, winter tyres are an utter waste of time.

Now, if you are on a German Autobahn, going up inclines, in a blizzard, taking a car back from Bosnia, with summer tyres, and everyone around you is on winter tyres... yes, you have a big problem :p

In UK though?! Hmmmm
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:41   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Just thought I would mention it, but the tyres fitted to the Rover wheels for sale on the bay of e, would be illegal to fit. Rated at 't' 118 mph. Your insurance will state that the reccomended tyre rating should be as in the specs issued with the car when sold new.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:05   #18
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just thought I would mention it, but the tyres fitted to the Rover wheels for sale on the bay of e, would be illegal to fit. Rated at 't' 118 mph. Your insurance will state that the recommended tyre rating should be as in the specs issued with the car when sold new.
Not quite true,depends on insurer,,my old classic has a size of tyre that's expensive to buy,,when I asked my club insurance about fitting lower speed rated tyres,they were fine about it,as they were within the legal speed limit of this country,,Europe may be different.
I have had Winter tyres for my cars,on a spare set of wheels for over 20 years,,it started when I was coming home from work ,in the snow,and came upon my wife with our car down a ditch..luckily she was fine and there was little damage,but it made me realize that it was a good idea to fit at least 2 tyres on the front of a front wheel drive car,or best a full set.
I always declare ''winter tyres'' and the re-map to my insurers,to be fully covered.
My back injury plays up,when I try to change my wheels for Winter,so this year I've tried the ''MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATES'' not had any snow yet though'''
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 12:43   #19
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post

You’ll be pleased to know that your Avons (oldcarguy) are on the approved list of tyres which meet Swedish specs so you’ll be fine with those if they’re ever needed.

Regards
That's good to know, thank you.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:21   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Not this again...

For 99.9999999% of the people in the UK, in 99.9999% of the weather conditions, winter tyres are an utter waste of time.

Now, if you are on a German Autobahn, going up inclines, in a blizzard, taking a car back from Bosnia, with summer tyres, and everyone around you is on winter tyres... yes, you have a big problem :p

In UK though?! Hmmmm
Another option is to go for "All Seasons" I am thinking of doing as my tyres are nearly 3 years old and I have no storage facility for storing a complete change of tyres.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...r-tyres-tested

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 21st January 2016 at 22:07.. Reason: Edited
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote