Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th October 2016, 20:38   #1
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Default Manual to auto

As said as I am getting on a bit I am seriously thinking of up grading from my Club SE CDTI manual to a Connie CDTI Auto. After driving an Auto AUDI in London the other day, it brought home to me how much easier it is to drive than a manual box in the city. Apart from the Auto box and finish, are these the same mechanically, how many gears does the Auto box have
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 20:46   #2
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Drive and Reverse plus 3 towing gears
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 20:48   #3
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_pig View Post
but the only way to go
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 20:50   #4
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

My first 75 was a 2003 Diesel Club SE Tourer with a manual box, and i did something like 50,000 miles in it.

My current 75 is also a Diesel Tourer, but this is a 2005 Connie SE with an Auto box.

Can't fault the auto box. It's got 5 speeds like the manual, but different ratios. I find that the fuel economy is slightly worse with the auto, but in reality, it's only 5-6 miles per gallon, but I love the auto box.

As far as I have found out, no difference between the manual and autos other than the box itself.

Love the auto, and so much easier to drive in my mind. Won't go back to a manual.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 21:11   #5
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Having had 2 manuals-the auto is brilliant,only negative,apart from less mpg,,is I found it even more difficult to change the nearside dipped beam bulb,ended up moving the fuse box.
I often put it in ''snow mode''on longish journeys as it gives better mpg,just try it,when you're going up a slight incline,in 'drive' if it's in 4th,then when you select ''snow'' it takes it up to 5th ,sooner.It sets off in 2nd too,I got 47mpg going to France and back(around 1500 miles.(at their maximum speed)and 70ish in blighty,not bad compared to 50mpg in my manual.
A lot of short journeys,in Winter, can bring it into the 30s though.
All in all the diesel suits the auto box,especially with the power upgrade.
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 09:30   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_pig View Post
D for drag and R for racing.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 10:21   #7
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Over the years I've had both manuals and auto's and have no real preference for either.

When I was looking for a ZT I decided the best was a automatic after reading of the manuals weak hydraulics and DMF.

I found a ZT+ 135 auto diesel which Phil T4 () remapped to a 160 and it's brilliant.

Towed a large Ifor Williams horsebox with it a few weeks ago and although it was bang on the zeds towing capacity it towed impeccably on both back roads and the motorway at 60mph (cough cough). Max speed with horses in was 45/50mph)

Only downsides are slightly less MPG and a lot more tax (£265 opposed to £180 for the manual).
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 9th October 2016 at 10:25.. Reason: Grammar
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 12:00   #8
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

The pros and cons for both, nothing more enjoyable than driving a car through the gears on a nice wide and twisting road like over the beacons . But there again the comforts of sitting back and letting the V6 glide along.

Stop start in traffic an auto comes into its own.

I have two autos and a manual and each car has a drive all of its own, do love an auto though

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 10:02   #9
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

As much as I love 75's and ZT's there is no way I would buy a manual ever again. The hydraulic manual clutch is simply too unreliable. Its a pig to change, half the time its leaking fluid somewhere or got an air lock. I've had problems with all manual 75's and zt's. That fear of sitting in traffic and the hydraulics giving up is no fun. Auto all the way for me. Its a shame as I like to drive a manual.
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 11:37   #10
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
Over the years I've had both manuals and auto's and have no real preference for either.

When I was looking for a ZT I decided the best was a automatic after reading of the manuals weak hydraulics and DMF.

I found a ZT+ 135 auto diesel which Phil T4 () remapped to a 160 and it's brilliant.

Towed a large Ifor Williams horsebox with it a few weeks ago and although it was bang on the zeds towing capacity it towed impeccably on both back roads and the motorway at 60mph (cough cough). Max speed with horses in was 45/50mph)

Only downsides are slightly less MPG and a lot more tax (£265 opposed to £180 for the manual).
Its £270.00 to Tax the Diesel auto. Petrol Auto is now £295.00.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote