Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th January 2020, 19:45   #1
dave freeloader
Avid contributor

75 cdt tourer auto

Default Gearbox woes

Hi all.
I have had slipping between 3rd and 4th gear. I have today replaced the reverse piston and plates with the help of cb750chris. I now have ep on the dash and no gears at all unless the car is switched off and back on and then only 1st and second. Any attempt to increase speed results in slipping and no drive and the error cade appearing again. Does anyone know what is wrong.
dave freeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2020, 23:17   #2
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Oh no. Sorry to hear this chap. Give me a shout and I'll pop up and plug you in to see what the car thinks is wrong. Check that there isn't a puddle of oil on the undertray (and that there is enough oil in the gearbox).
Hopefully it is something simple, but we have all the bits that were removed just in case.

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 11th January 2020 at 23:48..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 14:15   #3
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

I did the same last year but still had a faulty box,so in the end I bought a second hand 2004 box and after 11months everything is fine.
In 2003 they were replaced by an uprgraded/stronger box,Mainly identified by the level plug being a nut instead of allen key.
I had a 160 upgrade and pulled a large caravan and then took the car across Europe with a full boot/ back seat /roof box and trailer,,not realizing I had a weak autobox,luckily it failed within 1/2 mile of home.
I'm currently stripping the old box down for useful bits,such as the relays and'new' reverse piston'.
It also begs the question why the 190 was detuned to 180 for the autobox,maybe the torque was too much,,,(160 diesel upgrade torque value ??)
Anyway good luck with it.
my suggestion is to get another box,2003 onwards,with maybe a small guarantee on it.
I followed someones ''how to'' on here and substituted the' long bolt'lift method with my electric winch,which made it easy,,while the subframe was out,I easily replaced the wishbone/ball joints,as they were very accessible .
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 08:54   #4
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Went up to Dean yesterday. There had been an oil leak from the end casing. Removed the end cover, cleaned the faces, and reapplied sealant. Refilled with oil.
Think the oil leak was caused because we didn't lower the subframe first time, and probably wiped spoke of the sealant off the gearbox face.

Dean did a test drive and reports that it is now working fine.

Fault codes indicated parameters for 3rd and 4th gear were out of range.

Thanks for letting me come and sort this out with you.

Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 10:18   #5
dave freeloader
Avid contributor

75 cdt tourer auto

Smile

Well done to Chris for helping me yesterday he is an absolute legend and I am glad to report the gearbox is functioning well.
dave freeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 10:49   #6
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Glad you got it sorted,,wasn't aware you had a leak,obviously can cause issues.These are the problems with trying to advise ,remotely.
Hope it continues to behave,
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote