Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2020, 22:09   #21
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I understand USA have just banned flights from UK & Ireland. I know people who have had holiday flights cancelled 2 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Early 10 day break to Canaries in three weeks
What you going to do Dave. aAcouple I know was due to fly out there towards the end of the month, their flight was cancelled Friday.

Last edited by Devilish; 15th March 2020 at 22:22..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 22:13   #22
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

It can be true about the shares going back up but for some companies they'll just go bust and then the shares will be pretty much worthless think Flybe or Thos Cook.
I was reading about Intu who lost 2bn last year and are seeking more investors. You'd have to be brave.....
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 00:24   #23
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I would say most folks holiday plans are all but gone for some time.

We were due to fly to Malta in a few weeks buts it’s now off. Even an outing with the caravan may be doubtful as some sites due to open for the season are staying shut.

As I’m approaching 70 what concerns me is I may not be able to give my grand daughters a simple hug if we have to self isolate.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 06:34   #24
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I was due to go on a Med cruise yesterday, but fortunately held off cancelling until the cruise line cancelled, so getting a full refund. Decided to book 3 nights in a (very) rural cottage in Dorset starting today.

I’m another who’s (on paper at least) lost quite a few 000s from pension funds and investments. However, my investment choice was to be overweight in cash. This is now working in my favour to some extent in view of interest rates, inasmuch as I’ll raid the cash funds if money is needed, rather than having to sell/draw down asset-backed funds.
Old 16th March 2020, 06:36   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post
Surely money is only "lost" if you sell when the market is down. If and when the market recovers investments value will go up provided you did not sell. It may well be a good time to invest. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My apologies, lost is the wrong word. Thank you for pointing it out Our investments mostly in the USA markets went down by 9%. Since the fed cut the interest rates yesterday, now the values have gone back up. In the past, during a recession with people smoking and drinking more, tobacco and alcohol were a good bet. I feel for the poor in the USA who have no medical insurance and there is no NHS. I hope Mr Trump steps up to help those in poverty. So perhaps there is an investment opportunity in mechanical medical ventilators?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 06:47   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I think you've earned the right Phil - scary times. I really hope the markets bounce back, that really is too much to lose .

Fingers crossed for you & Jessica,

Cliff
My apologies Cliff, as has been pointed out, the money has not been lost. It’s now back up. Remember Kaupthing, Singer & Fredlander, on that occasion our money was frozen by the UK government and it was in the Isle of Man and 10 years before we got it back? How that suddenly went wrong in 2007 in the Icelandic bank crisis of 2007, took years to recover.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 09:28   #27
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
What you going to do Dave. A couple I know was due to fly out there towards the end of the month, their flight was cancelled Friday.
We are sitting tight Steve, Booked the break as a complete package so are abta/atol covered, pretty certain its off but I'm not going to be the one to cancel and lose my dosh. Up to them to cancel and refund us.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 14:43   #28
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
We can’t bear to watch the business news Cliff, as we lost £120K in the past few days on the stock market and since my return from London on 13 March, I have been told to go into self-quarantine for 14 days, what else? we have had to cancel our flights to South Africa on Wednesday. Am I allowed to have a moan
poor you, bet you can't wait to perish.
Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 19:57   #29
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
My apologies Cliff, as has been pointed out, the money has not been lost. It’s now back up. Remember Kaupthing, Singer & Fredlander, on that occasion our money was frozen by the UK government and it was in the Isle of Man and 10 years before we got it back? How that suddenly went wrong in 2007 in the Icelandic bank crisis of 2007, took years to recover.
No worries Phil, I understood what you meant. The gains and losses may well be theoretical until you dispose of the shares, but the stress is very real nonetheless, and of course, there is no guarantee that share prices will return to previous levels.

I well remember Kaupthing. We had funds with them, but were fortunate in that we transferred out a matter of days before things went really wrong.

Stay strong, and look after yourself and Jessica,

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 20:16   #30
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Recon our Honeymoon will be cancelled. Mean't to go Barbados for 2 weeks from 1 week of June straight after our wedding. Although Barbados doesn't seem to have any cases of Coronavirus at the moment, I recon by June they won't be taking any flights from the UK.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote